PDA

View Full Version : What is: Flying VFR into IMC?

CraviatorMike
27th Jan 2015, 10:04
I've seen this around the forum, as well as a number of YouTube videos stating that this is a top killer of Pilots, and I can't really seem to understand what it means.

I know VFR is Visual Flight Rules and IMC is Instrument meteorological conditions, but Google can't seem to provide an answer in Layman's terms, hopefully some of you guys can?

TopBunk
27th Jan 2015, 10:20
CM

Put simply.

In VFR flight you look out of the cockpit window and see the horizon and the ground features and use your visual senses to tell you what is what.

In IMC you can't see the ground and have to rely on the instruments to keep you straight and level, on course and at the correct altitude.

This requires learning and knowing to trust your instruments rather than your senses.

As I said, this is simplistic - in VFR flight you still use your instruments to check speed heading and altitude, but you are not reliant on the instruments, whereas in IMC you are.

Flying VFR into IMC is therefore the transition from one to the other, and can result in accidents, especially among those not fully trained/conversant with relying solely on their instruments.

Di_Vosh
27th Jan 2015, 10:32
VFR into IMC

Is something that when you do it for the first time your heartbeat goes up to around 130bpm, your blood pressure goes up and you pray that if you get out of this you'll never put yourself in that situation ever again! :eek:

DIVOSH!

Di_Vosh
27th Jan 2015, 10:45
In VFR flight you look out of the cockpit window and see the horizon and the ground features and use your visual senses to tell you what is what.

In IMC you can't see the ground and have to rely on the instruments to keep you straight and level, on course and at the correct altitude.

This requires learning and knowing to trust your instruments rather than your senses.

As I said, this is simplistic - in VFR flight you still use your instruments to check speed heading and altitude, but you are not reliant on the instruments, whereas in IMC you are.

Absolutely! I'd go further and point out that as a VFR pilot you're not aware HOW MUCH you rely on "Blue is UP and Green DOWN" until you lose the reference. Because even when you're looking elsewhere you generally have the horizon somewhere in your field of vision and your brain uses that.

When flying IMC (no autopilot) your resting point for your eyes is on the A/H. You spend no less than 50% of your time looking at the A/H and the rest of the time is spent flicking to another instrument (such as the VSI) and then immediately back to the A/H. At no time would you spend more than a few seconds looking anywhere else but the A/H. This isn't a natural skill and has to be learned by the budding IFR pilot. And, sadly, it's not like riding a bike. It is a perishable skill.

I've read somewhere that the time it takes for the average VFR pilot to enter IMC and completely lose control of his/her aircraft is around 90 seconds.

DIVOSH!

CraviatorMike
27th Jan 2015, 11:11
Could you elaborate furthermore on: "I've read somewhere that the time it takes for the average VFR pilot to enter IMC and completely lose control of his/her aircraft is around 90 seconds."

I don't understand how they lose control from using their visuals, to their instruments!

ACMS
27th Jan 2015, 11:20
Two words

Spatial disorientation.

Google is your friend

Spatial disorientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_disorientation)

PyroTek
27th Jan 2015, 11:22
Mike:
Simply speaking, it's that they value what their senses are telling them over what the instruments are telling them. It's extremely easy to become disoriented when you have no visual reference to the ground/horizon.

ACMS
27th Jan 2015, 11:23
Yep Mike and read the link fully.

All you'll ever need to know to answer your question.

50 50
27th Jan 2015, 11:24
Actually I believe the theory is roughly 90 seconds for any pilot to completely lose control in IMC if they have zero instruments to rely on. No matter how experienced, the inner ear tells us what we feel, but it may not always be what is happening.

For example, flying straight and level, you feel 1G. That is one times the force of gravity. A shallow banking decending turn also feels 1G, and being completely inverted, pulling slight back pressure and rocketing towards the ground feels the same. Without visual cues, ie. able to see out the window, or have instruments to rely on the pilot has no idea what is actually happening. Hence the accident rate.

172sp
27th Jan 2015, 11:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mTwpplTnb4

Ihadadream
27th Jan 2015, 11:34
Craviatior,
As a private pilot you are trained to look out of the window at the picture. It's as advertised - Visual.
If you take a visual only pilot and stick them into a cloud, there is a high probability that they will believe whatever their body (inner ear) is telling them. And that will normally induce spacial disorientation.

When I was working on my instrument rating, my instructor took me up, put the hood on, and made me take my hands and feet off the controls.
He spent a matter of 90 seconds turning, climbing, descending and then asked me what attitude the aircraft was in without looking at instruments or outside.
And boy was I wrong. Every time. It's to do with the inner ear and how we balance.

As Di-Vosh says, if you are not an instrument pilot, you will find it very hard to switch from outside the plane to the instruments. Trust me, been there, seen it, done it, changed underwear and prayed to the gods of all things in the air to save me.... And been lucky. Never did that one again.

Victa Bravo
27th Jan 2015, 22:15
Please read the story about the one seat aircraft that crashed at Bulli today to understand the almost inevitable result of VFR into IMC.

VB

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/555430-lighty-down-bulli-tops-area-tonight.html

Nautilus Blue
27th Jan 2015, 22:58
Could you elaborate furthermore on: "I've read somewhere that the time it takes for the average VFR pilot to enter IMC and completely lose control of his/her aircraft is around 90 seconds."

From the CASA guide that Clearedtoreenter linked,

Spatial disorientation is the big danger. And it can happen a lot faster than you might think – just 178 seconds on average, about the length of a commercial on TV .
That estimate is based on studies in the 1990s by aviation researchers at the University of Illinois. They took 20 VFR pilots and got them to fly into IMC in specially programmed flight simulators.
All of the pilots in the study went into graveyard spirals that would have ended in uncontrolled flight into terrain or roll- ercoaster-like oscillations that became so intense that they would have resulted in structural failure of the aircraft.
In repeated tests on the simulator the result was the same – all pilots lost control of the aircraft. The outcome differed only in the time required before control was lost which ranged from just 20 seconds to 480 seconds.

It is counter intuitive but very real. Part of ATC refresher training for this scenario involves a tape replay of such an incident. One of the scariest parts was the pilot saying "I think I'm upside down".

reynoldsno1
27th Jan 2015, 23:00
I don't understand how they lose control from using their visuals, to their instruments!
Instrument flying skills are acquired by training and practice. It's not intuitive - in fact quite the opposite.

sixtiesrelic
27th Jan 2015, 23:02
It is the mixing of terminology that gets people confused.
RULES and CONDITIONS.

Think of it the way it used to be referred to way back.
Flying in visual meteorological conditions ... You can see where you are going ALL the time, clear of cloud.
And
Instrument meteorological conditions where you can slip into a cloud and see nothing but fog.

Have a go at driving at 40 kph in fog in your car. Wont take long before you hit something and all you are doing is steering in the horizontal plane NOT three...pitch, roll and yaw.

Just trying to keep control of those three axis for the first flying lesson was usually a schemozzle. Most of us could handle two but for me I wondered how the hell I was looking at the bay when I'd started off flying towards the Dandenongs.

Concentrating so hard on keeping the nose on the horizon and wings level was as much as I could do as I very slowly skidded to the right. It was a Tiger Moth which aren't as easy to fly as modern balanced aeroplanes.

Sadly too many people believe that they can get themselves out of cloud when inadvertently going in, but your bum tells lies and you will firmly believe you are in total control because you are pulling positive G force. When the engine is screaming, you are getting buffeted by the unexpected turbulence in cloud you get confused instantly.

Nasty experience to come screaming out the bottom of a cloud at max revs, airspeed needle close to the red, in an attitude you haven't seen since you did unusual attitude training, throws common sense out the window and too many people YANK the controls and break up a perfectly good aeroplane and die.

Since soon after Wilbur and Orville, perhaps tens of thousands of pilots have killed themselves believing they could handle flying in a bit of cloud.

There are enough episodes of air crash investigator on TV showing trained airline pilots from say the north west of us, losing it and not believing their instruments because their bum tells a different story. Not enough practice.

Sadly too many people get a false impression of their flying ability playing flight simulator. Try it with moderate turbulence. Suddenly instruments are jumping.
The problem is, flt sim doesn't have motion which will soon have you confused and ignoring that screaming engine while you concentrate on two axis of flight and think you are going great.

Squawk7700
27th Jan 2015, 23:34
Quote: Victa Bravo: Please read the story about the one seat aircraft that crashed at Bulli today to understand the almost inevitable result of VFR into IMC.

VB

Lighty down in the Bulli Tops area tonight

Seems we don't need the ATSB on-site as VB has it licked :ugh:

Jabawocky
27th Jan 2015, 23:43
CRMike,

This is worth turning the volume up for. Despite the stick we give the regulator (deserved), one of their better efforts here.

fXzYZjpoz_E

Victa Bravo
28th Jan 2015, 02:14
Good onya 7700.

Dribbler!

Lookleft
28th Jan 2015, 06:55
Despite the stick we give the regulator (deserved), one of their better efforts here.

Very true Jaba but CASA then disbanded the unit that put this together. So I think the stick is still deserved.

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jan 2015, 08:01
Back in the old days an RPPL required a minimum of 3 hrs IF training, and a PPL required an additional min. 2 hrs IF training - for a total of min. 5 hrs for the PPL.

Was that enough for a low time non-instrument rated PPL who had flown into IMC to get themselves safely out of the ****?

Well it was for this one!

And then some bright bunny thought it would be a good idea to reduce the requirement. :confused:

Dr :8

PA39
28th Jan 2015, 08:14
spend all of that time and $$ learning to fly in cloud and then spend the rest of your life trying to keep out of it!! :sad:

Stikman
28th Jan 2015, 08:15
It can happen all too easily. I found myself in such a situation, where I had zero external visual references and was forced to rely solely on my instruments. Long story short, the instruments were telling me one thing, and my body was telling me something else altogether. I had been switching my view from the instruments to outside the aircraft, looking for some kind of reference, and back.....and looked outside the aircraft for a couple of seconds too long. Once I was able to see outside again, it was like a jolt through my body as it synched itself to what the aircraft was actually doing.

drpixie
28th Jan 2015, 23:36
Plenty of good replies here - remember, it's not the cloud but the sudden stop that kills. And if you haven't flown in real cloud, it feels nothing like being under-the-hood - probably the first time in your life that you really can't see and feel where you're going, and you're doing it an 1nm every 30 secs or so.

I'd like to offer a (very typical) scenario:
- Poor weather - not great vis and some drizzle patches - no real horizon.
- You're plodding along, at an increased level of alertness, navigating carefully and getting closer to your destination.
- Rising ground (or falling cloudbase) and you're being pushed from your planned cruise down to low level, but 500' AGL is still legal, and you're only a little below that - stress of weather and all that.
- Naturally, you're over the lower ground (the valley), because the hilltops are in cloud. Drizzle increasing, you're busy peering through the windscreen.
- Remember, grey cloud seen against grey drizzle with no horizon -> can't see it approaching at 100k until you're in it.
- Now, suddenly, you're in cloud.

The situation:
- You are actually only barely above the treetops - and you know it.
- You know you can't turn cause there's hills - somewhere - close.
- You know the only way to stay vaguely upright is to rely on that tiny bit of instrument practice from years ago.
- You can't both fly the instruments and look out.

Scary? If you get lucky and survive - you learnt a couple of things. You used one of you nine lives. VFR aircraft are not practical timely transport, if you can't wait, don't fly. Safe air transport really does require IFR, though IFR is no guarantee.

mcgrath50
29th Jan 2015, 01:48
Don't forget it can happen during Night VFR too. I was climbing out along a coastline doing Night VFR, beautiful starry night. The ships out to sea were also sparkling as were the homesteads or whatever individual buildings were lit up on land.

As I climbed out between using the instruments, the light from the airport/town, and just generally being on top of it my perspective stayed "straight". I put my head down to note my departure time, do my fuel log etc. My head came up and suddenly my eyes/body was telling me something different to my instruments. I set attitude off the AH but my body was screaming this was wrong. What was worse was, what used to be a good reference outside had now changed to 360 degrees of blackness with star like sparkles in all directions. I suddenly was in perfect VFR with "sky" all around as far as I was concerned.

It took a while of focusing on the instruments and eventually my inner ear caught up and the next time I looked outside I again could tell the difference between the lights in the sky and on the ground.

Browney
29th Jan 2015, 02:47
one of their better efforts here.

Jabawocky thanks for the kudos. I made this with my colleague a few years back for our Crash Scene Investigation series of seminars. I still remember scouring through dozens of CD's to get just the right music to make it impactful.

The skills of my partner in crime in SP who is the New Media Producer have been world class and he is still at it after 15 years. He outlasted me!

A change in management led to many changes away from promotion to marketing.

Cheers

Browney

poonpossum
30th Jan 2015, 02:37
I think it's stupid and reckless to spread the 90 seconds to live thing upon entering IMC.

As well as the spacial disorientation being the killer, I would argue equally as high that it is also the freakout.

Flying schools and most of you here here alike peddle the probably true, but harmful idea that if you find yourself in IMC and you don't know what to do about it, you will die.

Implanting this kind of mindset into the VFR pilot's head sets them up to BELIEVE that they have no ability to control a situation involving sudden loss of visibility, and when you believe you can't control a situation, you lose your cool, adrenaline increases, you proceed to trust your senses while forgetting about your instruments.

Sure maybe the weather was marginal, maybe there were pressures, maybe a hypothetical pilot's wife was having a baby, maybe they didn't read the weather or maybe they didn't plan right. They made some mistakes that lead them into cloud.

Instead of saying it's very dangerous, that they are idiots for going, that their swiss cheese lined up, and that they have 90 get out before death, say this:

You CAN control this situation. You will be fine.

Do you have an autopilot that works? Turn it on. Do you know where you are on your WAC? Climb higher than the bold spot height for the square you are in, or the highest height in your general area if you aren't sure.

Do you have an AH? Watch it like a hawk, don't look outside. 80% attention to AH, 19% attention altitude and 1% attention to heading.

Are you in range of ATC? Call them and tell them you need help. Don't let your ego get in the way. It is their JOB to help you.

No AH? Alternate between turn and slip and altitude.

No instruments? Download one of those in-phone glass cockpits and hold it to your dash.

Airspace above you and mountains below? Forget it. Crank the transponder and climb into it. No transponder? Tell them you are going up and to get the jets out of the way. A phone call is better than a grave.

In my first week of flying school I was told of the imminent death awaiting me if I was to enter IMC, and to this day I think that was the stupidest thing to ever tell a bunch of people fresh out of their effects of controls.

Empowering people with the knowledge and the confidence to fly in any situation is a much better idea than simply telling them that they are finished and there is not a dam thing they can do about it.

YPJT
30th Jan 2015, 03:03
I remember as a newly qualified IFR rated pilot flying a BE55 with very few hours on type.
Departed straight into IMC and whilst the flying itself wasn't overly difficult, the nav and comm workload of going straight into class C airspace was more than I could comfortably handle at the time. It wasn't until I got a friendly nudge on the headset from Pearce Centre .."errr *** confirm tracking direct to Jurien". I guess the fact that I was probably about 60deg off heading had them a bit worried. Aviate, navigate, communicate - never truer words spoken.

Another time, long before I had done IR I was VFR on top and decided I wanted to get back down below it without fully appreciating my exact location. Did a very nice cruise descent only find myself about 500' above tree tops.:eek: Power back to full, establish in the climb and back on top of the stuff until I found a break in the cloud. NEVER did that again.

So for my .02c worth, there are so many things that can bite (read kill) you by blissfully committing yourself to flying in IMC without proper training, instrumentation and preparation.

Lookleft
30th Jan 2015, 05:32
Flying schools and most of you here here alike peddle the probably true, but harmful idea that if you find yourself in IMC and you don't know what to do about it, you will die.

The stats back it up.

You CAN control this situation. You will be fine.

The pilots who have posted on here about surviving this scenario invariably describe their good luck at surviving and not by being in control of the situation. They usually follow it up with the statement that they will never get themselves into that situation again. The best message to spread is to fear the consequences and always plan and manage your situation so that you never have to rely on blind luck to survive. :ugh:

Dangly Bits
30th Jan 2015, 06:25
Poonpossum did you manage to make it to one of the 10 Crash Scene Investigation Seminars CASA put on?

The first half was about what happened in a fatal VFR into IMC accident, and the second half was what to do if you find yourself in that situation. It included strategies to help you get out of it right down to ATC recordings of where pilots asked for help and got out of it. The years before we did that series, Air Sercices were getting 1 VFR into IMC call for help every 10 days! They are only the reported ones.

It is frustrating to see this type of fatality happen even with the technology we have in our reach today.

Dangly Bits

Lookleft
30th Jan 2015, 09:01
The Canadians charged $400 per person to attend what was a carbon copy of the CASA version.

ChickenHouse
30th Jan 2015, 09:49
Interesting to read that Flight Safety Australia refers to studies in Illinois in the 1990s. I am only aware of the rather old 1954 180-degree turn experiment (http://www.aviation.illinois.edu/avimain/papers/research/pub_pdfs/journalpubs/180%20Degree%20Turn.pdf) from Illinois. Does anybody have a more recent reference?

triton140
30th Jan 2015, 22:42
That study was the one that came up with the "178 seconds to die" number.

But note:

the researchers chose the Bonanza C35 as representative of the most complex single likely to be encountered by non-professional pilots
the subjects were chosen so they had minimum or no time in the Bonanza, and no solo time - and most were low hour
the subjects had no instrument time, actual or in a simulator
the aircraft was loaded to its max aft CG and max gross
the AH, DG and VS were covered, leaving only T&B, altimeter, ASI and compass
etc ...

So the 178 seconds refers to novice pilots in an unfamiliar complex aircraft with full aft CG on a limited panel and their first time on instruments.

Like poonpossum, I think it's counterproductive to scare the bejesus out of our VFR pilots - if they do get into cloud, they need to be thinking as clearly and rationally as possible (not always easy in what is fundamentally a very scary situation - and totally different to being under the hood with an instructor next to you).

And particularly the 178 seconds, which really doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny.

ForkTailedDrKiller
31st Jan 2015, 04:17
My low-time VFR pilot into IMC story is very similar to that described by YPJT above. Descended a C172 into what I "knew" to be a thin cloud layer in order to stay VFR. Turned out to be many thousands of feet thick. Descended to a hastily calculated lowest safe, then climbed back out to VFR on top. Did a 180 and went home!

Can't say I ever put my survival down to good luck. At no time did I think I was going to die in the 15-20 min I spent in IMC.

I think good training, staying calm and a moderate degree of skill saved the day. :ok:

Never did again though! :O

le Pingouin
31st Jan 2015, 04:20
The whole point of the 178 seconds message is that without training and practice VFR in IMC is a deadly threat and needs to be treated seriously.

Lookleft
31st Jan 2015, 08:22
If it wasn't a serious issue and if it didn't keep occuring then there would be no need for this:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/4115273/ar-2011-050_no4.pdf

or this:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/36438/Pilot_behaviours_adv.pdf

If pilots become complacent about the dangers then I imagine in 5 years time there will be another report about VMC into IFR. If you want to fly in cloud go get a PIFR rating if you want to live to fly another day and you are restricted to VFR then don't push into IMC. Simples!

dubbleyew eight
31st Jan 2015, 12:39
the problem with the 178 second message is that it is basically a single data point. often quoted but never critically reexamined.

if you understand your aeroplane and remain calm and unpanicked, and the conditions are smooth, you can survive for a very long time.
I managed 20 minutes in total darkness without visible reference to anything because it was the only remaining safe option.

About the same time a guy in a beautiful Dragon Rapide got caught in turbulent conditions over east and speared in killing 6. so a happy outcome isn't guaranteed.

I do wish that the "178 seconds to death" message was replaced by the basic techniques required to survive message.

Keep your wings level, don't panic and don't stop flying the aircraft.

btw I only had the 5 hours under the hood done 20 years before before the incident I survived.

custardpsc
31st Jan 2015, 14:13
All well and good speculating on the dangers of loss of control due to spatial disorientation and how long a vfr pilot might last in an inadvertent vmc to imc , but there are other issues worthy of discussion, notably icing/freezing level. Unlikely a vfr pilot will have that as a primary consideration when in a cloud ? what about water / ice on the pitot ? I've lost the ASI temporarily in a rain cloud in a 152 due to water. That can also contribute to disorientation even if you have a good instrument scan.

Poonpossum's dead right though. Instead of scaremongering the dangers, getting some strategies to deal with it is the right thing to do, specifically, proper training ! Nothing to stop any ppl getting some hood time or actual conditions with an instructor. Could be done at BFR time.

Here in the Uk, we have a rating between VFR PPL and IR, specifically for flying in IMC, which is 15 hours on straight & level, radio nav, a bit of partial panel, unusual attitudes and two 'getout of jail' approaches, plus all the common sense that comes with that.

Best thing I ever did was this rating - gave me some experience in actual IMC under controlled conditions and taught me how, why and when to avoid cloud. Also made me realise that sometimes its a lot safer to be in a cloud than scud running.

triton140
31st Jan 2015, 23:45
Instead of scaremongering the dangers, getting some strategies to deal with it is the right thing to do ...

Absolutely! At best, scaremongering will stop us taking off into 1000m vis and 500ft overcast for a frolic in the clouds!

But of course, that's not how it happens. It creeps up on you, and then you're in cloud. My own experience was around Eildon, heading for a gap with clear weather beyond (cue narrowing valley, rising terrain and lowering cloud). I had just made the decision to turn around anyway when I found myself in cloud, seriously scary given the topography. But because I'd already briefed a 180, and was positioned so I could make the turn safely, I made it out - despite having planned, my first (and wrong) panicked inclination was to put it in a steep turn, fortunately I managed a reasonably graceful rate 1 turn out of there and back to clear skies. But those trees looked awfully close!

The Illinois studies test an interesting strategy - simplify everything. Forget the stick/yoke, trim and then use rudder for the turn - thereby minimising overcontrolling and workload.

Some interesting recommendations though, including letting it go to 500ft or lower in training before recovering - "An impending impact with the ground is an excellent convincer" - so much for scaremongering I guess!

LeadSled
1st Feb 2015, 03:01
And particularly the 178 seconds, which really doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny. Folks,
Sure doesn't ---- I would put the time to initial loss of control at 30-40 seconds, the rest of the time is the descent into Cumulogranitis.

How do I know this --- because I used to time PPL students who had done their five hours, after putting them in actual conditions, and starting a stop watch at "handing over".

If you are not IFR trained and current, stay in severe VMC.

Tootle pip!!

tecman
1st Feb 2015, 07:54
Having trained in the RPPL/PPL days, and added a Class 4 rating later, the single biggest message that I took home was that I was by no means a fully competent instrument pilot. Over many later years of buzzing around the bush NVFR, that message was reinforced, despite one ot two pretty scary - and I suppose competently executed - episodes of escaping spatial disorientation. I would never say throw in the towel in any situation while there were recovery avenues to try but the message of avoiding the IMC situation in the first place can't be over-stressed.

Fast forwarding a bit, I can appreciate what instructors are up against in trying to transfer wisdom to students. I speak to quite a few RA Aus pilots and am dismayed at the level of confidence some seem to have in their abilities to navigate and control the aircraft in bad weather. I've met PPLs with the same problem over many years, but I think the availability of relatively cheap instruments and/or glass cockpits (of unknown actual reliability, btw) has noticably increased the level of bravado. I've found it almost impossible to describe the challenges for a novice to actually control the aircraft in IMC and turbulence, even if the pilot has (laudably) gained a theoretical understanding of the process.

Just as a bit of an experiment a few years ago, I decided to see how good I was on the clocks in my fairly nimble VLA bug smasher - similar to many of the LSAs around. With a RH seat instructor as safety pilot, and equipped with a pretty nice panel of fully-certified instruments (all of which work much better than those in many a spam can I've flown), my initial efforts on a bumpy day under the hood could only be described as crap. The VLA was no stable instrument platform and, taking the hint, I did quite a bit of practice to the point of recovering some honour. But it again brought home the enormous challenge faced by a recreational pilot, even before the quality of the instrumentation or systems is considered.

To add to those worries, there were some pretty dubious recent articles in "Sport Pilot" on the topic, one of which featured a guy in a Jab pushing on into IMC and claiming the Lord was with him. It left me shaking my head and, were I not a heathen atheist, suspecting the Lord would be better pleased if he got himself a PPL and an IR.

Dangly Bits
3rd Feb 2015, 01:43
Best one I ever heard was, "I can keep my wings level in cloud provided I can see my wing tips!"

Me personally I always take a cat flying with me. If he is wandering around on the ceiling, I know I'm upside down!

Draggertail
3rd Feb 2015, 05:11
Cat and Duck Instrument Flying

Basic Instruments:

Place a live cat on the cockpit floor. Because a cat always remains upright, it can be used instead of the artificial horizon. Simply watch which way the cat leans to determine if a wing is low, and if so, which one.
The duck is used for the instrument approach. Because any sensible duck will refuse to fly under instrument conditions, it is only necessary to hurl your duck out of the aircraft and follow it to the ground.

Limitation to Cat and Duck Method

Get a wide-awake cat. Most cats don't want to stand up at all. It may be necessary to carry a large dog in the cockpit to make the cat pay attention.
Make sure your cat is clean. Dirty cats spend all their time washing. Trying to follow a washing cat usually results in a snap roll followed by an inverted spin.
Use an old cat. Young cats still have many of their nine lives left, but an old cat has just as much to lose as you do and will be more dependable.
Avoid cowardly ducks. If the duck discovers you are using the cat to keep the wings level, it may refuse to leave without the cat. Ducks are no better at IMC than you are.
Make sure your duck has good eyesight. Nearsighted ducks may fail to realize they are on the gauges and go flailing off into the nearest mountain. Very nearsighted ducks may not realize they have been thrown from the aircraft and will descend to the ground in a sitting position. This is very difficult to follow in an airplane.
Use land-loving ducks. It is very discouraging to break out and find yourself on final to a rice paddy, especially if there are duck hunters around. Duck hunters suffer from temporary insanity after sitting in freezing blinds and will shoot at anything that flies.
Finally, choose your duck carefully. It's easy to confuse ducks with geese because many waterfowl look alike. Geese are competent instrument fliers, but they seldom go where you want them to. If your duck sets off for Canada or New Zealand, you can sure you've been given the goose.

http://a4skyhawk.org/2d/tins/tinduck.htm

Pinky the pilot
3rd Feb 2015, 05:41
•Place a live cat on the cockpit floor. Because a cat always remains upright, it can be used instead of the artificial horizon. Simply watch which way the cat leans to determine if a wing is low, and if so, which one.

Wouldn't work with either of the two cats in the PtP household!:}

If they are not eating, they are sleeping!:p

Dangly Bits
3rd Feb 2015, 08:36
Here is another Idea for those who are untrained and like to fly in IMC.

Hold your microphone by cable so it dangles in front of you!

If it leans to your left, turn right. If it leans right, turn left.
If it stretches out, push forward and if it shrinks up, then pull back.

If it goes round and round and up and down, Good luck! You will need it.

AbsoluteFokker
3rd Feb 2015, 08:56
If you aircraft has an autopilot (which you preflighted AND verified operation in VMC) TURN IT ON IF YOU GET INTO IMC.

Then change the heading bug to an appropriate way to return to VMC.

For 1 degree axis autopilot all you need to control now is attitude (and therefore altitude) plus monitor.

For 2 (or 3) degree axis autopilot all you need to do is think "well that was silly" and monitor.

Regarding pets for IMC, definitely do NOT get a drop bear. They have a best glide speed of zero knots.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
3rd Feb 2015, 09:25
No instruments? Download one of those in-phone glass cockpits and hold it to your dash.

Please do not do this.

The horizons in the glass-cockpit apps I've seen aren't properly referenced or stabilised, and are little more than novelties. In essence they have the same limitations as your inner ear, and are potentially lethal if used in IMC. (Have a look what happens to them as you go round corners in your car, to see what I mean.)

Pinky the pilot
3rd Feb 2015, 11:43
Ok, we've had our funny and witty comments but it's time to be serious really.

I'm really surprised that no-one has said what I consider to be the most important thing; The thread's title is What is: Flying VFR into IMC?

IMHO, the short answer is; Unless you are sufficiently trained in Instrument Flight...
It's bloody dangerous!!:=:=

Some posters have related their experiences and have stated that they were lucky. They are the ones who survived their experiences!

leadsled put it quite succinctly I believe.

If you are not IFR trained and current, stay in severe VMC.

Nuff said!:ok: