PDA

View Full Version : TIF Tomorrow!

CraviatorMike
22nd Jan 2015, 07:32
Tomorrow is my TIF. Weather is looking great for tomorrow morning, what should I expect? I'm a little nervous, rather excited though!

sms777
22nd Jan 2015, 08:59
You will have one of the greatest day of your life grasshopper. Mankind were not meant to fly but tommorrow you will prove them all wrong!
Have fun.....you will love it!

CraviatorMike
22nd Jan 2015, 09:12
Would Bankstown Airport be a good airport to train at?

RENURPP
22nd Jan 2015, 10:02
Where do you live?

It's not so much the airport or the flying school, BUT the instructor you end up with.

mustafagander
22nd Jan 2015, 10:07
Mike, I think Camden is a better place to train. Yes, it's a bit of a drive, about 30 min or so from the south western suburbs along the M5, but it saves a long transit to and from the training area each lesson. At YSCN when you turn at 500ft you are in the training area so your lesson starts. There is ATC as well so you can learn it all there.

Oh yes, be careful - you may well be infected with a life-long addiction. Costly but fun!!! Enjoy your TIF.

CraviatorMike
22nd Jan 2015, 10:14
Am I able to choose my instructor? I'm from Western Sydney.

50 50
22nd Jan 2015, 18:07
For a TIF you will just get assigned whoever is available. If you decide to continue you absolutely can pick your instructor. If you are not happy with one change ASAP, even change schools if you desire. It's your money.

On Track
22nd Jan 2015, 18:15
And another vote for YSCN as a great place to fly.

I did my TIF and ab initio stuff at Canberra but ultimately did my PPL and CPL at Camden. It's where my heart is.

niss200sx
23rd Jan 2015, 02:30
Hi OnTrack,

Did you commute from Canberra to Camden?

I'm currently in the positing where the school I want to use is a 2 hour drive away, and am wondering how many days as week I'd need to commit to make it viable.

hillbillybob
23rd Jan 2015, 03:18
agree with YSCN being a great place to fly, I did my PPL in Canberra and completed it just as Brindy flight training closed down and started in Camden after that completing my CPL and ME-IR there. Yes i did get to know the Hume pretty well but being able to go up and train on week days for 4-5 days at a time (shift worker) made it pretty doable. Was also nice to be able to turn off the Hume just as the traffic got worse rather than having to stick with it to go to Bankstown

On Track
23rd Jan 2015, 04:44
Hi niss200sx,

I was living in Canberra when I did the TIF and started taking lessons. But not long after doing my first solo I was off overseas on a working holiday.

When I returned to Australia I started working back in my home town, Sydney. After sussing out various schools at Bankstown and Camden I settled on the Camden Aero Club, which is now long gone.

ruddman
23rd Jan 2015, 05:04
Hey Mike? Do what I did if you get assigned a hot female instructor. At some point, say "what is that over there"!. Then whils shes looking, work the throttle to simulate a engine problem. Say we better land in a open field to sort it out. Girls love hands on guys. Then land, taxi to a shady tree and switch off.
Say to her before we fix the engine, lets eat. Then casually pull a picnic basket out from behind your seat. Girls love romantic guys.

Trust me, what could go wrong? :ok:

j3pipercub
23rd Jan 2015, 05:26
^seems legit

Squawk7700
23rd Jan 2015, 06:23
Seems no aircraft incidents have been reported out of Sydney today so it seems that your TIF went well.

50 50
23rd Jan 2015, 08:27
Ruddman must have gotten the only hot female instructor in existence. I have had some hot students, but it is frowned upon. If you get caught:ok:

CraviatorMike
23rd Jan 2015, 13:42
It was such an exhilarating thrill. I couldn't believe it. Once I sat in the flight deck, I knew this was for me. I taxied and we took off. I learned how to move left and right, ascend and descend, I learned some of the avionics used.

It was beautiful, the scenes over Sydney. This is definitely for me.

50 50
23rd Jan 2015, 16:56
I'm glad you enjoyed it Mike, you may have just hooked yourself. But for future reference we call it a cockpit.

Clare Prop
24th Jan 2015, 02:34
It's a pity someone had to ruin a legit thread with a load of patronising sexist rubbish.

What century are you living in, Ruddman? :mad::mad::yuk:

Homesick-Angel
24th Jan 2015, 03:19
Was the TIF in a a jabiru? jabiru pilots tend to call it a flight deck....:}

Rod Con
24th Jan 2015, 23:24
it saves a long transit to and from the training area each lesson. At YSCN when you turn at 500ft you are in the training area so your lesson starts.

The Flight lesson begins when you start the engine, regardless of where the training area is located!

gchriste
25th Jan 2015, 01:56
The Flight lesson begins when you start the engine, regardless of where the training area is located!

Yeah but you get pretty tied of practising "Straight and Level" on the 10 minute commute to the training area :)

Don't get me wrong, the more practice the better, but let's be honest, when you are paying for a lesson on say steep turns, and you can only spend a certain time on task doing that because of the commute, a close by training area is attractive.

Rusty1970
25th Jan 2015, 03:03
Glad you enjoyed the flight. Another vote for Camden from me. Nice atmosphere. Busy enough to be challenging but not so busy (usually) as to waste time waiting in a queue to take off. I did my PPL training there, about half of which I did after moving to Canberra. The 2.5 hour drive was a pain but it's just so addictive I did it anyway. Good luck!

mcgrath50
25th Jan 2015, 05:34
as to waste time waiting in a queue to take off.

Don't worry, Bankstown Airport have done a good job of killing that off as part of their desire to improve the customer experience :ok: