PDA

View Full Version : Altitude Alerter for RV-10

tonyharr
18th Jan 2015, 08:48
Hope I hit the right forum...

Was out flying with an instructor last week in the syndicates Rv-10 getting ready for an instrument rating renewal.

This was the first time I had flown instruments in this aircraft (normally I do a multi engine IR in a Duchess).

Each time we were assigned a new altitude I wrote it down on my kneepad.

IN the debrief the instructor told me the aircraft needed an assigned altitude alert in the aircraft.

I remember the Duchess having one - just a simple mechanic device that you could click a button above the number to increase, below to decrease, and four digits in total.

For the life of me I cannot find one on the web. Sporty's had one, but it is now discontinued. There are a bunch of electronic ones, but why pay $299US when the manual was was $12.

Anyone have any idea where I can get one? Preferably something I could velcro in when required.

Thanks
tony

Squawk7700
18th Jan 2015, 08:56
You can use the dialler gadgets that are used for selcall (selective calling) on UHF radios, such as those you can buy at Jaycar electronics. I bought a 5 digit row for my aircraft and didn't get around to fitting it. They are single modules and they just clip together. You'll need a square hold cut in the dash to fit it. Probably the cheapest method you will come across.

tonyharr
18th Jan 2015, 09:22
Dang it - thank you - couldn't find it for love or money, and spent days googling it.

Thank you

Squawk7700
18th Jan 2015, 09:24
That eBay item is exactly what you can buy cheaper at Jaycar; you can see that the modules stick together. Cutting a hole will be tricky as there is not much fascia edge overlapping the modules.

You could get creative and cable-tie it or similar.

tonyharr
18th Jan 2015, 09:28
cool - thanks Squawk7700, let me get on the Jaycar site and see if I can find it. Just downloading the catalog now - 214 Mb, and an hour later, I'll see what I can find (couldn't find it using the online search).

Thanks for the heads up..

triton140
18th Jan 2015, 10:47
I think this is the Jaycar switch Squawk is thinking of:

BCD pushwheel (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SR1250&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=978#1).

Less than $40 for a 4-digit display.

peterc005
18th Jan 2015, 13:21
What type of Transponder do you have, this function is built into some?

The EI Super Clock in our plane has an altitude warning/reminder function built in too:

http://buy-ei.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/QRG-ASC-5A.pdf

tonyharr
18th Jan 2015, 13:26
Triton140 - nice searching ... thanks, I'll pop in tomorrow and see how it goes.

tonyharr
18th Jan 2015, 13:30
Thanks peterc005 - it's a Garmin transponder... not sure that it has any useful function at all, let along an altitude alert :-)

tonyharr
18th Jan 2015, 21:27
Thanks for the help everyone - a modest investment of $40 at Jaycar this morning, and I have exactly what I need.

Really appreciate the help
tony