PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to see positive change in the aviation industry, especially GA?

vk6ksj
18th Jan 2015, 02:29
My name's Kai Jones, I'm the sole independent candidate for Brisbane Central in the 2015 QLd election on January 31st, two weeks away.

As an independent I don't have a party line to toe, every vote is a conscience vote, I don't have any vested interests, lobbyists or faceless power brokers with their fingers in my pockets.

I have a CPL and, like you, I know the what working conditions in GA can be like but I also know that it's hard to speak up because if you don't take the job then someone else will, there are plenty of others waiting, some who are willing to work for nothing just to get their hours and so it goes.

I'm asking you, as my fellow pilots, if you have the opportunity to influence a push for change in the aviation industry, what would your suggestions be?

Sincerely
Kai Jones
Your Independent candidate for Brisbane Central

bilbert
18th Jan 2015, 05:14
Not quite so. Qld government licences air routes and tenders them out to non qld based companies, even overseas owned ones and puts conditions on the tenders which make it hard to compete. If you want to represent qld then support queenslanders .

Pinky the pilot
18th Jan 2015, 06:36
Have to start somewhere!

Good luck Kai.:ok:

Just remembered; We have a Health Minister in Federal Parliament who apparently holds a CPL. :hmm:

Frank Arouet
18th Jan 2015, 07:02
Who are you preferencing? NLP or LAB, or are you leaving that to the individual?

Labor sycophants can vote for greens or something if they don't like them, but NLP will only vote for someone with a right bend if they don't like what they have. Right now they have a difficult time of things because there is really no alternative and may just vote for someone like Cloive or Pauline to give their $25 to rather than the major party's. Yes mate, every vote is worth $25 of taxpayers money.

Don't waste the taxpayers money will you.

RobShan
18th Jan 2015, 07:12
Who are you preferencing? NLP or LAB, or are you leaving that to the individual? In Australia preferences are always up to the individual; admittedly it is a long process for Upper House elections (non-issue for Queensland election).

Arnold E
18th Jan 2015, 07:14
Labor sycophants can vote for greens or something if they don't like them

So exactly what are you saying Frank, coz I honestly dont understand what you are saying. Are you saying that because I vote Labor that I am some sort of ................. what?

Arm out the window
18th Jan 2015, 07:18
I'd ask you to push for an honest appraisal of the relationship between CASA and industry with a view to breaking down the barriers of mistrust that are clearly present. A couple of positive steps I think could be taken would be:

1. Get the local CASA teams to approach industry with a genuine 'what can we do to help smooth things along for your business / operation', not just words but a real helping hand where it's needed. Not saying this doesn't happen in places, but if both sides of the regulatory fence don't push for helpful compromise, this adversarial climate will just fester further.

2. A rapid follow up on one of the recommendations of the Forsyth review, namely this one:
change the current two-tier regulatory framework, consisting of the Act¹ and Regulations², to a three-tier structure, with the new third tier comprised of Standards drafted in plain language, and the Regulations drafted in a succinct style, containing provisions for enabling standards and other necessary provisions such as the high-level offence and penalty provisions
because most of the complaints I hear about Part 61 etc are that they're written for the lawyers, not for pilots, which is hardly helpful.

That'd be my 2 bob's worth.

Frank Arouet
18th Jan 2015, 07:35
Arnold. NLP sycophants and Labor sycophants or Green sycophants or religious zealots posing as politicians. It doesn't matter. You get the government you deserve. The voter has a right to know if Roger Rabbit or the left hand blind lesbian surfboard riders association is the candidates hero.

Your post says a lot about "tribalism" and "preciousness" which is sad for Australia. Whoever you vote for, means nothing to me, I make my own private judgments on individuals based on intelligence and attention span, but you do have an alternative. NLP voters don't, hence the question. If the taxpayer is paying cash for votes gained, I'd like to know more.

I don't hold much faith in State politicians having influence over CAsA.

Arnold E
18th Jan 2015, 08:10
Your post says a lot about "tribalism" and "preciousness"

How do you figure that.:confused::confused:
Now I am really confused. ????

"tribalism" and "preciousness"

Oh hang on, I see now, because I vote labor I stand accused of the above.
Coz I don't vote for who YOU obviously do.

Horatio Leafblower
18th Jan 2015, 09:06
Keriiiiiist.

1/. He's an independent, so stop your carry on about the major parties.

2/. Brisbane people: he is asking if there are Aviation specific issues in the Brisbane area. Public transport too expensive? Award of tenders to Singaporean corporations? Not enough parking? Terminal infrastructure at BNE too limited? Here's your opportunity to give an aviation-minded hopeful a leg-up on his policy.

Unlike most politicians, he is actively seeking out what is important to YOU and to the industry he loves. He may or may not be able to make a difference as a cross-bencher in a parliament that will be swinging back towards Hanging.

Imagine if the Aviation Industry got representatives into every house of Parliament in the nation because we STUCK TOGETHER and voted in our common best interest.

Imagine what could be achieved if "our" independents were able to trade their vote on boring stuff (like federal budgets) for real action on regulatory reform and straightening out CASA and ATSB?

What could a State governemt achieve if they had a more informed say on planning issues around airports?

What about improved regional subsidy schemes, of State government spending on regional airports?

Stop fighting like a bunch of seagulls over a cup of chips and get on with making some productive suggestions for a QLD pollie to pick up and run with.

FFS!!!!! :ugh:

Frank Arouet
18th Jan 2015, 10:17
I thought that's what Federal Senators were for. To represent the States. (as unrepresentative they are). I still don't hold much faith in State politicians, in a one house State Parliament, having any influence over CAsA, let alone an Independent State politician no matter what their pedigree or the fanaticism of their supporters.

Unless of course you believe feudatory Party cronyism looking after State mates. Now that has merit. Beat CAsA at their own game. Again one needs to know where loyalties lay regarding preferences even to be in on that bandwagon.

Good luck to you Kai. This thread is a good example of what you will be up against. I'm sorry you took offence Arnold. At least you left the gate.

Kharon
18th Jan 2015, 18:30
Before wasting too much wind in a discussion it may be germane to ask not what we can do for an aspiring politician, but what can that aspiring politician do for the GA world.

I would be interested in hearing how an independent, junior state Polly intends to influence the Minuscule, the department, the ATSB and the ASA and make it all better.

I would like to see a written suggestion or two on how the candidate intends to sell GA to the Brisbane central voters as part of a seat winning platform.

It would be interesting to see a written statement explaining precisely the candidates understanding of GA problems and the proposed solutions.

I would be interested in seeing the candidate's performance, joining in and debating any one of the many discussions here on Pprune discussing some of the problems, suggesting remedies, detailing how the candidate intends to manage those problems; once the huge numbers of votes Pprune and the influence that will provide kick in.

Until then I'll leave my long suffering keyboard in peace, ignore the fatuous self serving statements, wave aside the hot air, the breathless panting for votes and offer a cynical, heart felt call of

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312UdTETRRL._UX385_.jpg

Sunfish
18th Jan 2015, 19:05
You've got to start somewhere. Qld. state Parliament will do. Good luck.

Arm out the window
19th Jan 2015, 02:51
Bloody hell, Kharon, at least he's having a go - ease off with the cynicism a little bit, would you please?

CoodaShooda
19th Jan 2015, 03:33
You never know. If enough state pollies could get enough state gummints to pressure the Federal gummint over the economic impact of CASA on state transport and service delivery costs............:rolleyes::E

Andy_RR
19th Jan 2015, 03:53
... You get the government you deserve...

You get the government you pay for. Never mind the ballot box, the key to your democratic rights is in your wallet. Go on tax-paying strike if you don't like the government. Move the revenue stream downwards by a few percent and watch them panic!

Kharon
19th Jan 2015, 04:30
AOW – "Bloody hell, Kharon, at least he's having a go - ease off with the cynicism a little bit, would you please?"

Furry Muff, ....:hmm:...let's have a look at say – Oh, the candidates proposed policy for resolving the Archerfield situation, or even an analysis of the legal positions; or the delays and runway problems: that's all Brisbane. I'm prepared to listen, bring it on, lets hear it.

Frank Arouet
19th Jan 2015, 07:14
I'm asking you, as my fellow pilots, if you have the opportunity to influence a push for change in the aviation industry, what would your suggestions be?

OK kai, lets try something that you could start with. How about asking why the new DAS, Mark Skidmore AM is on the CAsA Board of seven directors. Doesn't this give him a power of veto over the other six on an even split, and if he is responsible to the Board, why is he on it, if that Board reports to the Minister?

For a State based candidates campaign, you could use this as a platform to attack cronyism, and perceived or real corruption at a Federal level. This puts you in a broad field including Defense, Health, Education, Financial institutions, including Super Funds caring for investors money, Agriculture, Foreign Affairs, Immigration and a plethora of other things germane to more than the 20,000 odd pilots who obviously don't rate more than nuisance value to the Bureaucrats and Politicians.

I sincerely hope I haven't offended anybody's sensitivities this time. If I have, tough tits.

Horatio Leafblower
19th Jan 2015, 07:29
Furry Muff, .......let's have a look at say – Oh, the candidates proposed policy for resolving the Archerfield situation, or even an analysis of the legal positions; or the delays and runway problems: that's all Brisbane.

Kharon,

The guy is an independent looking for the policy ideas that will strike a chord with the industry. He is asking industry what the real needs are. This is an opportunity.

He may not get in - so what? What has it cost you? Are the aviation industry's problems some exclusive secret you are trying to keep from him?

You can rest assurred that the major parties don't give a f*ck about aviation or the issues the industry faces - they have demonstrated that again and again and again, and at this election you may have noticed silence on aviation issues... why? THE MAJORS DONT GIVE A F8CK. :=

He *might* be able to get up.
He *might* be able to spur action (or at least promises) from the major party candidates.
He *might* be able to make a difference, but refusing to tell him what the problems are and then complaining that the problems didn't get fixed (THERE! I told ya so!) ... that's not helpful.

ramble on
19th Jan 2015, 08:22
Here's an idea for you Kal......airport infrastructure not aviation operations.

Brisbane (and any other) Airport Pickup & Drop Off.

Most of the traffic to/from the airport is rapid stop pickup & drop off. Brisbane & most other airports you drive to the airport along nice freeways that have wide verges, you get to the airport and it is congested hell with people waiting for arriving passengers congesting the airports small arrival/departure zones and being continually waved on by parking wardens.

There is an opportunity to make Brisbane a world leading airport example by converting some of the freeway verges into "Waiting Zones" and reduce this airport traffic congestion.

Have specific side roads & parking areas built off the airport freeway, put in Flight Arrival Boards & Passenger, Baggage Status, a nice park, kids playgrounds, viewing areas.

The only other airport I recall having something like this but on a small scale and in a remote unknown area was Honolulu..

Hell, even make it free - for the people by the people.

OH, AND PLEASE STOP THE CURRENT B"TARDS FROM SELLING OFF OUR PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE ASSETS FOR SHORT TERM PROFIT!!

Kharon
19th Jan 2015, 11:34
A gcomhrac – Nah. Now to be sure, Begorrah and Strewth; if I wuz a Paddy and a bastard I might, just, perhaps be a wee bit offended, but happily, being neither, I couldn't give a toss. There are certain 'gentlemen' of my acquaintance who may take offence, but I cannot answer for them; (cód tost). Mo Athair would be able to explain it all so much better. But I confess to being bemused by exactly what type, or just who's guts should be spilled. Perhaps that notion is just a function of a gutfull of cheap Tasmopino beer. ($39 AUD a slab, with your Wollies voucher at BWS).

Pinky - any time it pleases you, I'll take the cork out of a bottle and toss the thing out (not the bottle), then settle down to have a quiet one, or even two with you; perhaps we could discuss (or whinge) about freedom of expression, bad manners and taking the Mickey out of Polly's; even the bumptious, pretentious wannabe Polly's. We may even contemplate "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Might be a fun evening...;);)..

Sláinte, a chara.

Now then; Up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire
Heading for the land of dreams.

Toot - Yawn - toot..:D...

Kharon
21st Jan 2015, 08:09
WELL - Puppy?? - What say you??????????? Boags got your tongue?

Creampuff
21st Jan 2015, 09:39
Hopefully no one's keeping hard drive and thumb drive copies of all this. :ok:

gerry111
21st Jan 2015, 09:47
Kharon,

With the greatest of respect for you, I do think that's a little inappropriate.

Clearly, you're not much fussed on Horatio Leafblower. But I'm not sure that his comments were so deserving of your wrath. And no one on PPRuNe is obliged to respond to any comments at any time.

I enjoy your intellect and well researched and argued comments. But let's not have us read stuff that may be misconstrued as bullying. :ok: