PDA

View Full Version : ME/IR and TR validity

appfo09
16th Jan 2015, 17:27
My ME/IR is still valid until the end of next month and i am wondering if i start a TR course before it expires would my rating ME/IR also be automatically renewed after I complete my TR ?:rolleyes:

I appreciate for your help !

Pete O'Tewbe
16th Jan 2015, 20:14
You may wish to see Appendix 8 to Part-FCL to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011. Take particular note of the sentence after "A. Aeroplanes".

appfo09
17th Jan 2015, 10:14
Thank you for your reply !

Can you be more specific because for some stupid reason i can't find the related paragraph you mention.

I appreciate !

MARCOFLY
17th Jan 2015, 10:34
Hi Appfo09,
If you start the course before the deadline,
your rating ME/IR will be automatically renewed after you complete your TR.
ME will be renewed , not the MEP.:ok:

as Pete told you, read Appendix 8 to Part-FCL to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011, you will find all stuff you are looking for.

appfo09
17th Jan 2015, 16:15
Hi MARCOFLY !

Thank you for your reply !
It seems that no matter how hard i try to find the document you are referring to it is still difficult for me to find it. Could you please post the link of the Appendix you are talking about...this would help me !

Thank you once again !:)

ifitaintboeing
17th Jan 2015, 16:37
Revalidation of your IR-SPA-ME or IR-SPA-SE can be achieved using cross-crediting from a Type Rating Skill Test or Proficiency Check where the IR was embedded witin the test. Revalidation of your IR-SPA-SE or IR-SPA-ME is not completed automatically as you must fulfil specific criteria and may need to complete additional examination on a SE or ME aircraft/simulator.

As has been stated, detail of cross-crediting can be found in Appendix 8 to Part-FCL, which is reproduced in CAP 804, Section 4, Part L, page 48 and (with a handy flow chart) at the end of CAA Standards Document 14(A).

For renewal of a IR-SPA-ME or IR-SPA-SE, no cross-crediting is available.

appfo09
17th Jan 2015, 17:08
Thank you ifitaint but without getting into many details about it.

I've got

MEP (land)/SP
IR-SP-ME class/SE

Both are valid until the end of February!

I am considering doing a TR before both expire. The IR-SP-ME class/SE would be automatically renewed after the completion of the TR, though MEP (land)/ SP would have to be revalidated in an aircraft in order for it to stay current.

Please correct me if I am wrong !

Thank you all for your help and guidance !:ok:

ifitaintboeing
17th Jan 2015, 17:26
Your type rating will be issued as B737/IR or C525/IR, for example, on your Certificate of Revalidation. Your IR-SPA-ME will need a separate test in accordance with the cross-crediting document to be revalidated and is a separate entry on your Certificate of Revalidation.

You are only credited Section 3B for your IR-SPA-ME if you hold a current Type Rating, so would have to complete the rest of the IR test in a non-typed aircraft/simulator (i.e. in the MEP class) to REVALIDATE it.

If your IR-SPA-ME expires, you must complete the entire IR-SPA-ME in an aircraft. No cross-crediting is then available. So starting a Type Rating course is not enough, you must fulfil other criteria and have a current Type Rating to obtain cross-credit towards the IR-SPA-ME.

appfo09
17th Jan 2015, 18:00
Brilliant ifitaint now it is clear to me ! Thank you !

If you were in my situation what would you have done in order to save some money and time.

To start straight with a TR course before the IR-SP-ME expires ?

My IR-SP-ME is only valid for the Multi-Engine aircraft class rating correct whereas for example the B737/ IR part is only valid for that particular aircraft.

Jesus licensing rules is a strange miracle :ugh:

ifitaintboeing
18th Jan 2015, 08:33
You can start the Type Rating course providing you have a current multi-engine IR(A) and fulfil some other criteria specified in FCL.720.A (d) (reproduced in CAP 804, Section 4, Part H, Subpart 1, page 3), so providing you start your course before the end of February you will be OK.

Upon completion of the Type Rating course you will be issued with a Type Rating and type-specific IR. Your IR-SPA-ME will not automatically be revalidated; in order to do so, you must complete the additional requirements specified in Appendix 8 to Part-FCL as previously referenced.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

MARCOFLY
18th Jan 2015, 11:15
Hi appfo09,
sorry for my late reply.
I have just read your enquiries but as I noticed, ifitaintboeing gave you all information you needed.
...if I can ask you...could I know where you will start your TR?

appfo09
18th Jan 2015, 17:07
Hey MARCOFLY !

I am currently sending emails to different TRTOs in Europe and the US. I do have something in mind but I will wait until i get some offers first to start comparing them in terms of quality of training and price.

What about you? Are you also in the process of looking for TRTO's?

Keep in touch !

nick14
23rd Jan 2015, 21:01
There is a change coming (q3 2015 hopefully) after which your ME/IR will no longer be required to be current in order for you to gain the first MPA type rating. However until the NPA is accepted you will require a valid ME/IR to start a type rating course.

Good luck with your type.

appfo09
23rd Jan 2015, 22:38
Thank you nick14 for your wishes !

It is also good to know that rules are changing hopefully soon...

This time i just can't resist of not doing a TR:). I strongly feel that this is the right time to do it !

Whatever your goals are I wish you also all the best and good luck !:ok:

nick14
25th Jan 2015, 14:15
If you must do one I would recommend Airbus, there seem to be more Airbus jobs than 737.

My advice would be wait as the market is picking up and recruitment should start to increase. A type rating is generally useless unless you have 500hrs on type.

appfo09
25th Jan 2015, 14:53
It seems to picking up yes this is true ! Since I started flying I remember from my instructors telling me that a TR is the minimum you should have to enter an airline.

Those instructors also paid for their own TR even if that was years back. I think this trend will never change. The only thing that is changing so badly is the hour requirement on-type and some more wealthy P2F pilots don't stop doing this.

That P2F game is what is changing the rules.

So again I believe self-funded TR is still a good investment in the long-term !Someday you will have to pay this money to get a job with an airline.

nick14
26th Jan 2015, 07:57
Not if people stop doing it!

It's the impression that the requirement is to have a type rating prior to applying which is making the industry move towards this p2f mentality.

If your instructors are giving out that advice and they have a self funded type rating why do they not have a job.....?

appfo09
26th Jan 2015, 15:00
nick14 some instructors in the past had an airline job of course but after a couple of years due to some medical reasons they couldn't fly for airlines anymore.

Some others choose other pathways in their life but a TR in many cases was and is still a requirement.

nick14
28th Jan 2015, 19:09
As I said before a type rating and 500 hours. But for an entry level position a type rating does nothing for you other than lighten your pocket and prolong the expectation that pilots will fly for nothing.

Take a large low cost carrier in Europe, even if you come rated on their type you will still have to do the full type rating programme as you would not meet the hours requirement for direct entry.