PDA

View Full Version : SAR ROLE IN AKROTIRI

KPax
15th Jan 2015, 12:13
Probably already covered, but with SAR going to the private sector who will cover the role in Cyprus and if the RAF who will train the guys if we have no SAR role in the UK.

pr00ne
15th Jan 2015, 12:19
Exactly the same folk that provide it now?
Nowt to do with UK SAR contract.
84 Sqn with their Griffins, trained by SARTU.

Martin the Martian
15th Jan 2015, 12:25
No.84 Squadron only provides SAR as part of its remit. It is also used for support of British forces in general and also UNFICYP. The aircraft are owned by Cobham (I think).

Not sure about the continued training, but surely basic SAR techniques will continue to be taught to helicopter crews?

Biggus
15th Jan 2015, 12:27
pr00ne,

I think you have misread the original post. Part of his question was, if SAR in Cyprus is still going to be provided by RAF assets, who will train them in future. He was assuming SARTU would close once the RAF stopped SAR in UK.

With your response 84 Sqn with their Griffins, trained by SARTU. one can only presume you are stating that SARTU will remain in existence post civilization of UK SAR in 2016. Personally I would consider this highly unlikely.

Surely some sort of package at Shawbury upon being posted to 84 Sqn, and local conversion on the Sqn in Cyprus is a far more likely outcome?

Sand4Gold
15th Jan 2015, 12:33
civilization of UK SAR

About time too, as a past SH man, I always had my doubts about those SAR boys! :E

pr00ne
15th Jan 2015, 12:34
I thought ALL RAF RW went through SARTU for winching famil etc, and SAR dedicated crews did a much longer course?
Rumour in London before Xmas was continuation of SARTU but maybe with a different shade of blue uniform.

TorqueOfTheDevil
15th Jan 2015, 15:11
one can only presume you are stating that SARTU will remain in existence post civilization of UK SAR in 2016. Personally I would consider this highly unlikely.

Actually this is the case - it has been apparent for some time now (to those of us involved) that SARTU will still be going strong long after the RAF SAR Force has gone (in fact the last SARTU Long Course for people destined for RAF SAR finished more than a year ago). The name may change but it wouldn't surprise me if the unit features in Ascent's plan for world domination. Talk of a darker shade of blue is likely but then maybe our green brethren might decide they want a slice of the pie as well...

Davef68
15th Jan 2015, 22:31
There will still be a need for SAR trained aircrew on the new Carriers at least.

david parry
15th Jan 2015, 23:58
Pity they won't be trained up as Aircrewman/Diver for the new flat tops:rolleyes: Where they are needed!!!!!

Pheasant
16th Jan 2015, 20:42
All RN RW aircrew are SAR trained and will continue to be so ad infinitum. UK SAR is just the transfer of the shore based SAR requirement to civvies hands. The FAA will continue with maritime SAR as a standard secondary task, both around UK and worldwide.

alfred_the_great
16th Jan 2015, 20:44
There are Dark Blue and Lovat chaps on training at SARTU to ensure deployed SAR can continue. No idea if this will include Light Blue as well.

david parry
17th Jan 2015, 06:27
The last trained SAR aircrewman diver in the FAA . Finished in 1994:ugh:

Tourist
17th Jan 2015, 06:37
No, there were SAR divers a lot later than that in the FAA.
There still are some of them in, but the role has gone. Now they are aircrewmen again.

david parry
17th Jan 2015, 06:49
My bad, it was 2007 that SAR diving training was abandoned in the FAA. SAR divers as a speciality within the branch ceased.

alfred_the_great
17th Jan 2015, 07:49
Tied to the loss of Ships' Divers.

Could be the last?
17th Jan 2015, 21:27
So, as Puma 2 gains IOC in the next couple of months and the contract renewal for the HAR2 is due shortly, is there a possibility of P2 replacing HAR2?