PDA

View Full Version : Part 61 Licence abbreviations

gfunc
15th Jan 2015, 00:23
Hello folks,

I just got my long-promised, slightly crumpled, 20-page (!) Part 61 version of my licence and I've come across some abbreviations that I neither understand, or are listed in the "List of Abbreviations". I wondered if anyone could translate?

Under "Flight Instructor Rating" I have "CLR SEA" - I know that SEA is single engine aeroplane, thanks to the list on page 19, but what the devil is "CLR"? Can't Land Right? Currently Leaning Rearward?

Also, does anyone know why our friends at CASA have to abbreviate everything - is it an ICAO requirement? It certainly can't be a lack of space as the abbreviation translations in the back still only take one line each!

G

FOOTE
15th Jan 2015, 00:31
Hi there,

I recently converted my NZ licence to a CASA licence and had the same problem, too many abbreviations. I do believe CLR = Class Rating, if anyone knows any different feel free to correct me.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. Slam_click you beat me to the reply button, thanks for confirming.

Ramjet555
15th Jan 2015, 01:26
It's an example of absurd stupidity.
ACR ok, why put it down at all, you can have PPL, CPL or ATPL
every man and his dog from pole to pole knows what that is.
Then there is SE and ME and even kids would figure that out.

When it gets to Instructor, well is a Flight Instructor (FI) of what, balloons, helicopters, airplanes? FIB FIH FIA, then a number for the grade.

IFR is either SE or ME , if its a "co-pilot" then that should be the limitation by the Type Rating, with a currency requirement that's obvious.

My US licence as big as a plastic credit card,
My Canadian apparently impresses CASA boffins, they are apparently thinking of copying the Canadian Passport Style "Aviation Document" but
I'll bet they can't keep it along the same lines and will botch it up.

What is amazing is CASA cannot get the idea of keeping it simple or using standardized expressions and simple language.

Its an obvious culture of making work that absent the Industry jumping up and down, it is on track of slowly destroying Aviation as an economic asset in Australia.

It needs an incredible shake up from top to bottom.

The reality is the present escalating costs and inefficiencies are unsustainable and self destructive.

The Australian industry needs to take careful note of what the similar bureaucratic stunts being pulled in other countries that
is also slowly sucking the blood out of the industry.

training wheels
15th Jan 2015, 01:40
.. and there I was thinking, CASA gave me a free Seaplane rating after converting to a Part 61 license .. :O

no_one
15th Jan 2015, 02:58
would that be a SEA SEA?

rodney rude
15th Jan 2015, 07:13
All abbreviations in the part 61 MOS on the CASA website.

gfunc
16th Jan 2015, 00:14
Thanks for the translation guys!

At least CASA licences are now consistent with the legislative documents, requiring you to go to three different locations (CAR, CAO, AIP etc) to figure out simple straightforward things. I was worried they were making it too easy for mere mortals to comprehend.

I didn't think it was an ICAO thing as my UK and US licences are in plain English - I will write to CLARC and ask them why.

G

Arm out the window
16th Jan 2015, 06:44
All abbreviations in the part 61 MOS on the CASA website

Watch out mate, you're putting the brakes on a perfectly good rant there!:)

jas24zzk
16th Jan 2015, 10:47
Not sure about that AOTW..

My current licence, lists everything I have trained for, in plain english...no need to refer to any other document to see what I am licenced to do.

Its done in 4-5 pages (bit dark to go out to my car for an actual page count)

GFUNC, says he now has a 20 page document, that is loaded with abbreviations...

DAFUQ! 20 pages, and they feel the need to use abbreviations!!!!

On 20 pages on the old system, i'd expect to see every possible feature rating + every type requiring its own rating.

CASA have lost the plot!

L'aviateur
19th Aug 2015, 23:34
Just received my PPL from CASA (converted from a EASA one), and found no mention of a radio license on it, is this normal?

Also, the idea of the perforations is so that it can be placed into the individual sleeves of a license wallet (my old JAA brown wallet seemed to do the trick), otherwise i've just destroyed a perfectly good license...

Pontius
20th Aug 2015, 00:57
Also, the idea of the perforations is so that it can be placed into the individual sleeves of a license wallet

At least they got that right. 100% better than the (UK) EASA licence, very carefully designed so that individual pages would fit in the multi-page licence wallet but then beaten to the line by idiotic bureaucrats who decided one is forbidden from cutting the pages to size. So we end up with one massive sheet folded several times in order that it will fit into one sleeve of wallet and if you want to see other than the two pages in view then it's licence out and unfold :rolleyes:

skkm
20th Aug 2015, 01:51
Just received my PPL from CASA (converted from a EASA one), and found no mention of a radio license on it, is this normal?

Yep, another of CASA's wonderful Part 61 'improvements': pilots in Australia are no longer issued with a radio licence; you are authorised to use the radio by virtue of holding a flight crew licence:

CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY REGULATIONS 1998 - REG 61.435

When holders of pilot licences authorised to operate aircraft radio
(1) A person is authorised to transmit on a radio frequency of a kind used for the purpose of ensuring the safety of air navigation if the person:

(a) holds a private pilot licence, commercial pilot licence, multi-crew pilot licence or air transport pilot licence; or

(b) holds a recreational pilot licence with a flight radio endorsement.

L'aviateur
20th Aug 2015, 01:51
At least they got that right. 100% better than the (UK) EASA licence, very carefully designed so that individual pages would fit in the multi-page licence wallet but then beaten to the line by idiotic bureaucrats who decided one is forbidden from cutting the pages to size. So we end up with one massive sheet folded several times in order that it will fit into one sleeve of wallet and if you want to see other than the two pages in view then it's licence out and unfold

Yes the new EASA license seems to require that you are an expert in origami... Not really sure why they reduced the size of the wallet.