PDA

View Full Version : Skydive Pilot jobs UK

gefferzz
14th Jan 2015, 14:08
Hello Everyone,

I am just trying to gather some info on becoming a drop pilot. Such as minimum hours and where to start etc...

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

maxed-out
14th Jan 2015, 17:54
Look at the BPA website for dropzones operating pistons. For Caravan operators it's usually 400-500 tt plus 100 on Type and a season of dropping on something smaller(pistons).

good luck

benish
19th Jan 2015, 09:37
I sent CVs, phoned and emailed around 5 drop sites up North. some 200 miles from me, offering myself volunterily.
Due to insurance none of them could set anyone on with less than 3-500 hours commercial experience.

I do know of 2 newbies though that did fly for drop sites in Scotland. Difference is they knew the owner.

S-Works
23rd Jan 2015, 15:25
We can't get anyone insured on less than 500hrs P1 for our aircraft. We generally look for a lot more hours than that.

maxed-out
23rd Jan 2015, 16:00
Bose,

That's because you operate monster twin turbine tail wheel aircraft. Not quite the same as a Caravan as you well know. :)

Snr
24th Jan 2015, 15:03
I am a BPA pilot at one of the Scottish sites. Never knew the owner, had just over 200 hours: just phoned him and asked if he was needing anyone. Had to spend a few months showing my commitment before I was signed off, but it's worth it. 6 months later and I've got an extra 50 hours to my name that I didn't have before. Not bad considering the Scottish weather, and I can only make it a couple of days a month.

My advice...pick up the phone and try your luck. Granted we fly a C206, so insurance maybe isn't as strict.

MDHAC
24th Jan 2015, 15:42
300 hours TT minimum for the drop zone I fly for. Although the pay is poor its still paid work, and we currently have enough pilots, unfortunately volunteering to fly for free won't help. We employ commercially qualified pilots so pay for that. It can be hard work so it's deserved.

The only way to get in at our place is to visit and get your face known. You don't have to visit loads but in the 2 years I've been there they haven't taken anyone on, just off the back of an email or phone call.

Wodka
25th Jan 2015, 16:45
I got a caravan gig with 400hrs - I got those hours by towing gliders for a summer and as the jobs have similarities it was a big plus when I pitched up at the DZ.