PDA

View Full Version : Happy End: photographs of miraculous aeroplane crashes where everyone survived

snippy
14th Jan 2015, 11:44
Lots of great military pics in todays on line Daily Telegraph. Sorry no link, can someone help me out?:ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Jan 2015, 11:48
Here is a link to the author's website

dietmar eckell - happy end (http://www.dietmareckell.com/html/index.php?p=3)

It is a fantastic book, originally funded through Indiegogo. I was one of the subscribers.

I highly recommend it as a present for the aviation people in your life (including yourself)

snippy
14th Jan 2015, 11:54
Fox3..Cheers for that mate.:D

bike2lv
14th Jan 2015, 17:59
Thanks for the post and link(s). Bristol freighters, Daks and C46s in northern Canada and Alaska- how the north was won.

onetrack
15th Jan 2015, 00:58
No mention or any photos of the remains of VH-EAC? Or have the remains all been totally removed, to alleviate any continuing embarrassment to QF? :E

brokenlink
15th Jan 2015, 18:31
Would have thought that the Cessna Bobcat would have been worth trying to salvage?

Hydromet
15th Jan 2015, 20:10
Onetrack, when I worked for Charlie Q in the1960s, the aircraft movements board in hangar 58 still showed the aircraft location for EAC as 'End of runway, Mauritius'.

Arm out the window
16th Jan 2015, 06:58
At the risk of getting all poetic, there's a beautiful poignancy to those photos, and all the better that no-one was killed.

If anyone's got a good shot of the B-17 pancaked onto the hillside near the Black Cat gap north of Port Moresby, that'd be a great addition to the collection.

Stanwell
16th Jan 2015, 08:31
Re the Mauritius incident:
I attended a talk given by a chap who was a Qantas flight engineer on Connies at the time of that accident.

The account he gave of that aborted take-off had us on the edges of our seats.
He left a profound impression on us of the skill and professionalism of the crew - and, indeed, the crews of that era, both flight-deck and cabin.

He subsequently retired as Chief Engineer of Qantas.

p.s. ISTR, seated amongst us, was a girl who was cabin crew on that flight.

KiloB
16th Jan 2015, 09:32
How the xxxx did the crew of the C46 manage to keep it in one piece on that Boulder strewn slope. Some skill there!
KB

brokenlink
16th Jan 2015, 16:51
KiloB, just wondered of the boulders were buried under snow at the time?

KiloB
17th Jan 2015, 11:52
Good thought!
KB