PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to Port Villa delay

mullokintyre
13th Jan 2015, 04:53
Howdy All,
Have just received an email from Virgin saying my flight from Port Villa to Sydney has been delayed by a day.
The resort manager where I have been staying, says that this is not an uncommon occurrence, as Virgin policy does not allow them to land in the rain.
Had a plane get overhead the Field last year, then turned back to Sydney!

Allowing for a bit of Hyperbole, as it might be a runway distance issue affecting the 777 they fly here.
Given the amount of rain we have had in this tropical paradise over the past six months, this would be regular occurence.
Have mostly flown with QANTAS/ Air Vanuatu, so this is my first experience with Virgin.
Any Virgin jockeys have an idea as to the policy for landing at Bauerfield???

Mick

esreverlluf
13th Jan 2015, 05:38
I would be surprised if they operate B777 in there, I would think a B737 more likely. The 2600m strip should not really present any problems unless there is heavy rain and the braking action deemed POOR, in which case they are justified in not landing. (We see enough aircraft off the runway landing in heavy rain around Asia . . .)

FJ44
13th Jan 2015, 05:58
Was there a few weeks ago in the rain and all 3 airlines came and went on a wet runway. AirVan, AirNZ and Virgin.

mullokintyre
13th Jan 2015, 07:56
Perhaps the following might have something to do with it.
Maybe the aircraft to be used has been caught up with the rescheduling due to a volcano.

Ash from an underwater volcano north-west of the Tongan capital has forced several airlines to cancel flights in and out of the country.

Air New Zealand said ongoing volcanic activity in Tonga caused the cancellation of some if its services between New Zealand and Tonga.

It said flight NZ970, an Auckland to Nuku'alofa flight yesterday, was diverted to Samoa and later returned to Auckland. Another flight from Nuku'alofa to Auckland was cancelled.

Tonga volcano forces Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand to cancel flights in and out of country - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-13/tonga-volcano-cancels-virgin-air-new-zealand-flights/6014664)

Pinky the pilot
13th Jan 2015, 08:09
Port Villa?:confused:

WileE
13th Jan 2015, 08:24
I didn't think Virgin operated Vila direct to Sydney... Must be a new service.

mullokintyre
13th Jan 2015, 09:24
Sorry, I should have said Brisbane. My ultimate destination is Melbourne.
AirVAN have a direct Flight, but its only weekly.
Mick

Amelia_Flashtart
13th Jan 2015, 10:08
Nobody operates a 777 into Blauerfield - even in peak holiday season there isn't the pax load to justify it, and handling is also an issue.

I an currently in the Solomon Islands and we have a number of cyclones building in the area at present, which means the flight is less than pleasant for passengers. I fly to Vila monthly either from Honiara or Brisbane and will be heading there on 17th

Am guessing it is more likely the cyclones and/or the volcanic ash mentioned earlier that is the cause of the delay. I doubt the resort manager would have a clue - resort managers change at an alarming rate in Vila

Capt Fathom
13th Jan 2015, 10:16
Volcanic ash in Tonga? Tonga is no where near Port Vila!

Me thinks Virgin have just had to reschedule the flight for some reason.

I doubt rain nor volcanoes has anything to do with it!

Chocks Away
13th Jan 2015, 11:43
That's right Capt Fathom and the flow of any ash cloud goes further Eastwards too (further away from Tonga), don't forget.

Bauerfield has good approaches off both ends plus an offset NDB approach in over Meli Bay (scenic arrival), which gets you in often in inclement weather. The offset Localiser for Runway 11 is fine also, so the Resort Manager needs to do abit of research first I think, before saying rain is stopping jets from landing.

Regarding the 777 of Virgin Australia scheduled for it (apparently?)... the Boeing 737-800's do this run and are very well suited. They haven't dispatched 777's there and won't as they are 777-300ER's ie. heavy and actually too heavy for the apron and runway there in Vila. Earlier model (read "lighter") A330's or B777-200's yes maybe but I have not seen or heard of any visiting yet.

Happy Landings:ok:

P.S. "LMC" Just to clarify, that volcano is on the other side of Fiji, to Port Vila, well away. It's in Ha’apai, which is half way between Tonga "mainland" and the Tongan Islands of Vava'u, just south of Samoa.

Oakape
13th Jan 2015, 18:52
Virgin only operate B737-800's into Port Vila & only from Brisbane. As for not getting in when Air Van do, Air Van have an approved approach procedure which has a lower minima than the other approach procedures available. Virgin are not approved to use that approach procedure. So on some occasions you will find Air Van can land & the Virgin flight has to divert.

Ixixly
14th Jan 2015, 07:02
Oakape has it, it is indeed the 737 they operate there, I was working there for about 2 years. The approaches just aren't friendly to them without having the RNP like AirVan and AirNZ have at their disposal, lots of turn backs, well more than I'd probably consider average anywho. Have heard they are going to get approval for it soon though as it's costing them a lot of money obviously in delays and diversions!

Jabawocky
14th Jan 2015, 09:57
Oakape has it :ok:

The AirVan RNP often makes the difference. It is seriously good to see. The Localiser or VOR is nowhere near the same minima.

I am a VA fan, but not going to Vila. AirVan it is :ok: (I would book direct and not through the Q).

Capt Fathom
14th Jan 2015, 10:22
RNP = Flying closer to the ground when you can't see.... Great! :E

Jabawocky
15th Jan 2015, 03:45
It is Fathom :ok:

Having seen that particular one from both sides, the closer to the ground makes for a lovely fly past standing on the beach :)

ForkTailedDrKiller
15th Jan 2015, 04:00
Yup, the RNP into Vila is COOL !