PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio 4 "Operation Black Buck"

golamv
11th Jan 2015, 11:35
I realise that this radio drama was broadcast in 2012, but it was on the radio again last week and is available to listen to online for the next 4 weeks.

BBC Radio 4 - Afternoon Drama, Operation Black Buck (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jhb3d)

45 minute historical drama.

Tankertrashnav
12th Jan 2015, 22:11
I had a listen as I knew quite a few of the blokes on Black Buck from my time at Marham. Had to smile at some of the the dialogue, for example the hugely experienced AARI Dick Russell calling young Martin Withers "sir" during the flight, as did his plotter and nav radar - yeah right! Also some very odd conversations in the hangar along the lines of "Tell me, engineering officer..." "Well, wing commander..." Still I suppose these were to let the listening public know who these people were.

Enjoyable nevertheless.

Linedog
12th Jan 2015, 22:32
The full video is available on youtube.

PBJ99bIhAVk

50+Ray
13th Jan 2015, 12:33
I listened to the second half of this while driving home. What a load of tosh!

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2015, 13:47
50+, too harsh :)

TTN is right. Now we expect to hear General, Colonel, and Major (Fawlty Towers) but we don't usually use squadron leader or wing commander etc, except where a civil servant is trying a superfluous put down.

Once heard radio play with the local VIP doing the honours at the village fete. The lady posh tot organiser referred to him thorough out as Air Marshal.

johnfairr
13th Jan 2015, 15:19
PN,

I assume the speeling of Hair Martial is meant to convey that it was spoken by the Lady Posh Tot? :E:E

Al R
13th Jan 2015, 15:51
Interesting juxtaposition of leadership styles in the air when it came to making a critical commit decision; consensus Vs conviction based. Was there a generally adopted practice (sqn to sqn maybe), did particular captains carry a leadership style around with them or did it all tend to just evolve according to the given crew dynamic on the day?

Al R
13th Jan 2015, 17:56
Cheers.. I was thinking more, about debating the merits of continuing with the actual mission. Based on the documentary, the tanker captain got a consensus in light of having no fuel whereas the bomber captain's look after the tanker had to leave would probably have boiled water so the crew was probably wise to keep quiet..

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2015, 18:41
Al, indeed, again that is exactly the type of leadership displayed, and rewarded by a DFC, by WW 2 Bomber Command captains.