PDA

View Full Version : On the hunt for an aircraft.

50 50
11th Jan 2015, 02:03
i know this isn't RA Aus but I'll try anyway.

I'm looking for an Airdrome aircraft WW1 replica. Seen a couple for sale over the years, and am putting feelers out. Does anyone know of any for sale?
Yes I have contacted some of the vintage aircraft societies but I'm waiting for a reply.

Cheers
50 50

Amiri01
11th Jan 2015, 02:27
I'm guessing you have weighed up the build versus buy pros and cons, but if your build considerations include your lack of building skills, don't be concerned about that aspect. I am building a 75% Fokker Dr1 and the build process is extremely straightforward.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any for sale in Oz at the moment. As well as Andrew at TAVAS who is probably aware of many of the builds going on, perhaps the RecreationalFlying.com website may be useful if you haven't already tried that avenue.

50 50
11th Jan 2015, 02:33
Thanks Amiri. I just don't have the time to build. One piece of advice I've gotten was, if you want to build a plane, build a plane. If you want to fly a plane, buy a plane. I'm a pilot, not a builder. There a people with far superior skills to me, I'd prefer to let them do the building:ok:

Your build sounds great, that would be only the second one in Oz if I'm correct?

Hasherucf
11th Jan 2015, 05:42
One for sale on Ebay. Its in Toowoomba Australia

WWI Sopwith Camel Full Scale Airdrome Aeroplanes Kit | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221657910632)

27/09
11th Jan 2015, 06:48
That one on Ebay is a kit. The guy is looking to sell the kit or find someone to build or help build it.

When you look at the advert initially it looks as if he's selling a flying aircraft, it's not till you read the description at the bottom of the listing that you find out it's a kitset yet to be started.

Amiri01
11th Jan 2015, 08:05
I have heard of at least one other 75% Fokker Dr1 in Oz but I'm not certain where it is. Andrew at TAVAS has a Dr1 but again, I'm not certain which version it is.

I am only in the early stages of my build. The rudder is done and my build partner and I will be starting the horizontal stab during the next week. We actually find its good therapy to get out into the workshop to build, but as you say, if you don't have the time, inclination or desire to build, then don't, you will just get frustrated.

Good luck with your search. I'll put out some feelers and if I hear of anything, I'll let you know.