PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Licences.

gulfairs
10th Jan 2015, 20:03
I used to hold an ATPL for NZ,USA,UK,IRE,LUX.
Big deal!
I also hold a motor car licence that is NZ issued and is valid world wide, with only a couple of exemptions.
So what is different.
I can fly(when Young enough) a NZ registered aircraft almost anywhere in the world, but I cannot fly the same type model aircraft in most countries in the world because my NZ licence is not recognized in total.
The Civil Aviation's Administrations in operations seem to think that they each individually, invented the wheel, and that ones home country, do not do things correctly.
I can state categorically the the differences in the rules and acceptable practices around the world, are almost identical.
My question: When will all the signatories to the ICAO system get there marbles into one bag and allow all pilots be is private or commercial fly for a living or otherwise in the county of their choice(Language difference exempt) without this soul searching re qualifications?

Old Flatulence .

Dash8driver1312
10th Jan 2015, 20:59
When they can make more money that way.

Frank Arouet
10th Jan 2015, 21:57
At 79 you will need a drivers licence medical to drive a car in NSW and this medical can be converted into a DL medical to fly any aircraft you are qualified to fly up to 1500kg VFR day with two on board. Your Kiwi licence is a FAA equivalent which should be accepted most everywhere. (although the DL medical is peculiar to Australia). Both Australia and NZ are ICAO signatories. The Australian DL medical simply activates your existing licence with restrictions. Although, the air is different in Australia and Bernouli's theorem doesn't wash in our air so CAsA will probably make you do something concerning nothing that will cost you heaps. I once helped an 80 year old retain his licence, but that was all due to a jaundiced view of a now departed AVMED individual. (a Kiwi crossed with something he was).

currawong
10th Jan 2015, 23:27
"will make you do something concerning nothing that will cost you heaps"

Brilliant.:}:}:}

Popgun
10th Jan 2015, 23:58
My question: When will all the signatories to the ICAO system get there marbles into one bag and allow all pilots be is private or commercial fly for a living or otherwise in the county of their choice(Language difference exempt) without this soul searching re qualifications?

I'd say never. Or at least not in my lifetime unfortunately, which is such a pity.

I hold ATPLs from 4 countries. I had to travel overseas a couple of weeks ago just to renew the Class 1 medical for my UK licence despite holding Class 1 medicals from 3 other countries with an identical standard.

I agree with you completely that the current system of individual national licences is a joke.

Unfortunately, I can't see this ridiculous situation changing anytime soon. The bureaucracies in each country are so entrenched. They will not give up their kingdoms without a fight. And then, even if they were willing, getting agreement at ICAO, followed by ratification in each national parliament around the world...well, dreaming is the polite way to put it.

PG

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Jan 2015, 00:00
"will make you do something concerning nothing that will cost you heaps"

Yeah, right up there with CASA's Mission Statemtent - "We're not happy until your not happy"!

Dr :8

Ramjet555
11th Jan 2015, 00:27
I remember leaving Australia and how good it felt to
get away from a bureaucratic nightmare that
is a money grab by bureaucrats to pay
an incredible number of employees who effectively
engage in make work projects to continue their own employment
while continuously escalating their charges from a decreasing number
of users.

CASA's refusal to accept overseas medicals
is, from the point of CASA perspective, is tantamount to preventing coaches with bullion from
traveling their highways because they still have, plenty of easier victims locally.

They miss out on Australia Pilots overseas paying a ransom, to have their medicals from overseas validating their Australia licences.

Ditto for failing to accept overseas renewals of Instrument ratings etc.

Being a Charter Operator, or aircraft owner is about the same as having
a very large number of public servants putting their hand up your dress.

Popgun
11th Jan 2015, 01:18
I can't speak to Canada...but in my view, they're all the same.

In this matter, CASA is no worse (nor better) than the NZ CAA, the US FAA and the UK's CAA.

Box ticking, Yes Minister, bureaucratic numpties that fail to add any aviation safety-related value yet love taking licensing and processing fees to fund continued growth of their empire.

PG :ugh:

ramble on
11th Jan 2015, 02:41
Just renewed my FAA, EASA(UK) and CASA First Class Medicals.
EASA and FAA - 1 page straightforward application.
CASA - 11 Page embarrassment of an application smattered with obtuse & ridiculous questions

Just renewed the biennial ASIC. Application requires Government certified ID. Me - Will you accept my current ASIC that says "AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT" on it? ASIC Authority - No, definitely not!
ASIC - What joke & a rort! Several countries have rejected my ASIC as a Crew ID - because it does not say anything along the lines of "Crew ID" on it!

Australia, as a friend has just said = Madly Expensive Ineptocracy

Ineptocracy
(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy)
A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Says it all really