PDA

View Full Version : YAK -18 Forced Landing Jacobs Well Airfield QLD

Rotor Work
9th Jan 2015, 05:12
From Courier Mail

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/plane-crashes-into-field-at-woongoolba/story-fnn8dlfs-1227179810402)

A PLANE is believed to have crashed into a field south of Brisbane. Emergency services were called to a field on Gross Rd, Woongoolba (https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Woongoolba&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Woongoolba+Queensland&t=m&z=12), just before 3pm Friday after calls of a light plane crash.
The plane is believed to be a YAK-19 aircraft, which had to make a forced landing.
The crash is reported to have occurred a few hundred metres north of the Jacobs Well airfield.
It is unclear at this stage what has caused the crash.
There were early suggestions the plane may have flipped, and then crashed.
There are reports of damage to the aircraft.
Both occupants of the plane are not injured.

Edit looks like a YAK 18 & NOT A YAK 19
Regards RW

BPA
9th Jan 2015, 06:10
Saw the aircraft shortly before it departed YCDR today. After start up the pilot ran it for about 15 mins and it was making some unusual engine sounds, which could have just been the sounds the Russian engine makes.

mcoates
9th Jan 2015, 07:59
The aircraft ended up less than 1 km from Heck Field at Jacob's Well. You can see from the photographs that it is right next to the VOR beacon. This area is perfectly flat but the grass is about 1.5 m long. For some reason the aircraft has the ends of both wings missing so when they say the aircraft has flipped on the news reports they do not mean that it has flipped end for end they mean it has spun around wingtip to wingtip hitting the ground and causing damage so it would be more correct to say the aircraft has spun around on the ground rather than flipped.

It all happened about five minutes after I had left the airport but a lot of people at the airfield said that it was running very rough overhead and it simply didn't make the airfield (probably doing a big circuit according to one report).

Anyway, the members of our airfield have been over to assist with securing the aircraft for the night with the assistance/direction of the police and anything of value like headsets and anything else have been removed and are now in safe storage at our club from what I have been told.

Don't even think about going out their sightseeing, the last snake in my hanger was 9 feet long and he was a baby compared to the ones where the aircraft crashed.

Very glad that the outcome was so good for the pilot and passenger.

roundsounds
11th Jan 2015, 06:24
What a shame, YYZ was a particularly good example of an 18T. I also think it was the first of type on the Aussie register. I hope the pilot and pax make a speedy recovery.

Squawk7700
11th Jan 2015, 06:58
This aircraft when green in colour used to be based at Tyabb but was onsold and a host of recent changes made, prop, tanks, glass cockpit etc. Certainly nothing like it used to be when it was down here.

roundsounds
11th Jan 2015, 07:51
It started it's service in Australia based at Camden NSW. Original equipment aside for a voice activated intercom (I prefer the original PTT though). I was fortunate enough to do the initial 20 hours, then provide type famil training to the owner.

Fantome
11th Jan 2015, 21:00
True, she was first of type on the Australian register. There are now sixteen listed in the country. On Saturday, coming into land at Heck, having not heard of the accident, I was taken by surprise by what, at first glance from the air, looked more like a washed up Hartley too far from the sea to make sense. Commiserations to owner/operator and all with a stake.
Snakes alive indeed M.C. (Fix up your 'hanger' mate)

VH YYZ
Power Driven Aeroplane with TRICYCLE-RETRACTABLE landing gear
Single Piston engine
Manufacturer: YAKOVLEV AIRCRAFT FACTORIES
Model: YAK-18T
Serial number: 0731
Aircraft first registered in Australia: 21 February 2000
Year of manufacture: 1993

spinex
12th Jan 2015, 07:59
A real shame, I'd seen and admired the Yak elsewhere. Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery for pilot and pax.

I hear there was a second mishap en route to Evans Head, a Sea Max amphibian hit the water a bit hard near Tangalooma, breaking the fuselage behind the cabin. Not sure if it was a planned landing or if they were forced down, anyone know any more? Initial reports were that 2 occupants got out unscathed.

mcoates
12th Jan 2015, 20:43
There were photos on the news in Brisbane, basically the tail section completely broke off just behind the main hull section. No further details atm, waves should not have been an issue because they were landing in the lee of the island and protected from the wind.