PDA

View Full Version : Flight of the Phoenix "film"

Coltishall. loved it
7th Jan 2015, 19:57
In my eyes one of the best aviation classic films ever made.

As I’m sure many here will know that the gentleman flying in
the film was tragically killed “Paul Mantz”

Just intrigued to know: Was the actual airframe in the film the same one
As the accident? Or was there more than one frame?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82nN_lqn58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IACjOvyx5hs

BEagle
7th Jan 2015, 20:02
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_of_the_Phoenix_(1965_film)

Coltishall. loved it
7th Jan 2015, 20:17
BEagle (http://www.pprune.org/members/6981-beagle) Many thanks

Tankertrashnav
7th Jan 2015, 22:32
In my eyes one of the best aviation classic films ever made

The moment when James Stewart and Richard Attenborough discover that Hardy Kruger* designs "toy" planes is right up there in my list of the ten best scenes in cinema - ever :ok:

(* Sorry I don't remember the characters' names.)

The totally unnecessary remake, however, should have been called The Flight of the Turkey - no other way to describe it!

barnstormer1968
7th Jan 2015, 22:40
TTN
I haven't seen the remake, but did hear that it addressed the fact that a wing wouldn't work if mounted upside down as in the original.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Jan 2015, 22:43
Perhaps worth remembering:
James Stewart B-24 Pilot/Group Commander
Dickie Attenborough Lancaster Air Gunner/Cameraman
Hardy Kruger SS Grenadier

If they all hadn't otherwise proved themselves, one could say they weren't actually acting in Flight of the Phoenix, just being themselves!

GreenKnight121
7th Jan 2015, 23:56
James Stewart B-24 Pilot/Group Commander

And qualified B-36/B-47/B-52 pilot, commander of the 2nd Bomb Wing, Air Force Reserve commander of Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Brigadier General USAF*, etc..

* Promoted to Major General (Ret) 23 May 1985 - he retired June 1, 1968.

Trim Stab
8th Jan 2015, 03:29
And qualified B-36/B-47/B-52 pilot, commander of the 2nd Bomb Wing, Air Force Reserve commander of Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Brigadier General USAF*, etc..

* Promoted to Major General (Ret) 23 May 1985 - he retired June 1, 1968.

With a real-life career like that, I wonder why he bothered with such a walty job as part-time Hollywood luvvie.

Stanwell
8th Jan 2015, 03:34
The Hollywood babes, of course.

glendalegoon
8th Jan 2015, 03:40
perhaps even more amazing is that james stewart played lindbergh in "spirit of st louis"

chevvron
8th Jan 2015, 04:44
Paul Mantz was indeed killed when 'The Pheonix' crashed.
I thought the best thing about the film was Patsy-Ann Noble (or had she changed her name to Trisha Noble?)

Stanwell
8th Jan 2015, 05:28
The really tragic thing was that Paul Mantz was, for whatever reason, unable to say..
"NO! Not until..."

He was not at all happy with that machine.

ian16th
8th Jan 2015, 07:46
Still have the paperback!

Read it many times.

KenV
8th Jan 2015, 14:09
I haven't seen the remake, but did hear that it addressed the fact that a wing wouldn't work if mounted upside down as in the original.

It's been years since I saw the original movie, but I don't remember them turning the wing upside down in the original. I remember them attaching the right outer wing panel to the right side of the left engine nacelle/tail boom. No need to turn it upside down.

Separately, a symmetrical wing (i.e. no camber) will operate equally well when mounted "upside down" (technically, a zero camber wing has no up or down side.)

The Fairchild C-82 Packet (the aircraft used in the film) has a NACA 2418 airfoil at the root tapering to a NACA 4409 airfoil at the tip. Both are cambered.

As for Paul Mantz, he was not originally scheduled to fly in this movie. His business partner, Frank Tallman was scheduled to be the pilot. But Tallman broke his leg just before shooting started and Mantz filled in for his partner. It ultimately cost him his life.

KenV
8th Jan 2015, 14:13
The really tragic thing was that Paul Mantz was, for whatever reason, unable to say..
"NO! Not until..."

It's not clear that the airplane was at fault for Mantz's crash. The crash happend during a second low pass during filming. The aircraft went too low and struck a small sand hill but remained airborne. When Mantz applied full power after the ground strike, the aircraft came apart.

Coltishall. loved it
8th Jan 2015, 19:28
Tankertrash.... couldn't agree more about the model a/c scene, hilarious.

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxaDOazi730 from about
1 hour 56 mins to 2 hour 6 mins. Just had to go back to start and watch the whole thing tho

BEagle
8th Jan 2015, 19:53
The original version of the movie was pretty good, the remake was utterly dire. As with The Italian Job and others.

When Hardy Kruger reveals that he is a model aircraft designer and shows his designs in the Schuco-Hegi catalogue, he has a very valid point about the natural stability requirments of free-flight gliders, compared with piloted aircraft.

Paul Mantz was noted to have a high ethanol content in his blood after the accident; however, medical science at the time wasn't aware of certain after-death processes which can cause this. So it is by no means certain that he was under the influence of alcohol when the accident occurred.

Coltishall. loved it
8th Jan 2015, 20:12
Anybody still about who was involved in the film or Paul Mantz?
Would love to hear 1st hand

Alan Baker
9th Jan 2015, 13:06
I don't know which film chevvron has in mind, but Patsy-Ann Noble was certainly not in "The Flight of the Phoenix", which is one of those rare movies with not a single female character!

KenV
9th Jan 2015, 14:58
When Hardy Kruger reveals that he is a model aircraft designer and shows his designs in the Schuco-Hegi catalogue, he has a very valid point about the natural stability requirments of free-flight gliders, compared with piloted aircraft.

Similarities may apply to the aerodynamics of model vs full size aircraft. But there is essentially no similarity to the structural/mechanical design of model vs full size aircraft. Not to mention the design of the flight control linkage/actuation systems. And much more importantly, knowing how to properly rig those flight controls. Properly rigging the flight controls after such a huge makeover would require more knowledge and skills than removing and reattaching that wing section.

Tankertrashnav
9th Jan 2015, 15:56
I don't know which film chevvron has in mind, but Patsy-Ann Noble was certainly not in "The Flight of the Phoenix", which is one of those rare movies with not a single female character!

One in fact does appear in the form of a belly dancer who is seen by the Ronald Fraser character in a sort of mirage. However as she isn't actually there you are technically correct, Alan!