PDA

View Full Version : RAF Club

ApproachingIP480Kts
5th Jan 2015, 13:30
The RAF Club would like you as a member if it has slipped your mind :O

https://www.rafclub.org.uk/club-membership

Janda
5th Jan 2015, 18:50
Apparently I am not eligible even though I served as an officer in the RAF. After leaving the RAF in 1994 I emigrated to New Zealand and decided that the membership that I had would be of little use to me 12000 miles from London. I therefore wrote and canceled my membership. ! was advised or even threatened by the Club that cancellation would mean I would never be allowed to rejoin. Not a great loss.

newt
5th Jan 2015, 19:34
Still no sign of country membership! ie a reduced rate for those who live miles away and only visit London once or twice a year! I cannot see a good reason for subsidising those who get the benefit of using it on a daily basis!

just another jocky
5th Jan 2015, 19:51
Indeed newt. I managed no more than 1 stay a year for the 20 or so years I was a member. Cancelled when it became obvious I was subsidising those who lived near London and also at the number of non-military members I used to see.

Standards appear to have fallen a lot over the years.

Biggus
5th Jan 2015, 19:52
Here we go again:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/522119-raf-club-thread-not-good-health.html

211 posts last time, and no doubt once again people will mainly fall into one of two distinct camps! :ugh:

Lima Juliet
5th Jan 2015, 19:57
I'm happy with the Club and normally stay 2-3 times a year. A little dissapointed on the 'lifetime ban' for those that leave and then want to rejoin - is this still the case?

LJ

izod tester
5th Jan 2015, 20:09
I resigned from the RAF Club when I retired at age 55 in 2002. In 2010 I retired from my second employment and applied to rejoin the Club. I had no problem rejoining, and now use it 4 or 5 times a year since I have much more time to do so than I ever had when I was serving.

Avtur
5th Jan 2015, 20:55
Yawn Yawn (twice as had to do at least 10 characters).

teeteringhead
5th Jan 2015, 20:59
Yawn :ok: 30th y high uj

Rosevidney1
5th Jan 2015, 21:16
This is becoming a regular topic for the navel gazers...........

Tankertrashnav
5th Jan 2015, 21:28
And what has it got to do with a pongo pilot, pray?

;)

Janda
5th Jan 2015, 21:43
The Club obviously needs the money and has changed its stance since the nineties. Only used the place once and that was just to change into uniform prior to tea with the Queen.

Victor1a
6th Jan 2015, 09:35
I really enjoy the Club whenever I visit and having been in a few other London clubs recently the RAF Club is certainly more lively and welcoming.

I would encourage anyone thinking of joining to go along and visit and see what is avaivable. We are very lucky to have such a facility available.

just another jocky
6th Jan 2015, 10:16
Not sure I understand why some folk need to post yawns; some of us may not have known or nor participated in the previous thread.

Personally, I yawn at your yawn! :}

tmmorris
6th Jan 2015, 10:58
I think it's great - but as a VR(T) apparently I'm part of the problem, according to the last thread. I thought as I was boosting the numbers I was part of the solution. Ho hum.

teeteringhead
6th Jan 2015, 10:58
:ugh: trrjlii eholdn lkldh

Old-Duffer
6th Jan 2015, 11:29
tmmorris,

Not sure where you got the idea you were part of the problem. You are as eligible to join and as welcome as any other member to use the club's facilities.

A few months ago, I sponsored two people to join as members: one ex-RAF rotary and the other longterm RAF Museum and public service employee. They were delighted to become members and were made most welcome to a new joiners reception. They were given a tour of the facilities, a brief on the club's history, were able to talk to existing staff and members and then stay to dinner if they wished. Not too many places treat their newbees like that and make them feel welcome.

Whilst I would love to have some sort of 'country membership' discount, I value my membership of the club more highly than the cost of it. That was true when I joined and it's still true 47 years later!

Old Duffer

skua
6th Jan 2015, 11:30
Newt,
I think you will find the Club's normal rate compares very favourably with the 'country' membership rates of other West End clubs. And the booze and food is reasonably priced too.

jindabyne
6th Jan 2015, 12:03
No country membership for East Anglians Newt!

Whenurhappy
6th Jan 2015, 12:10
I'm overseas again, and popped in the other week with the family; great facilities and good service - and cheap. I just wish the Club could resolve the issue with DHRS so that I can stay there on Duty (and get reimbursed in doing so), on what will be frequent trips back to the UK over the next while.

I have used it for hosting Foreign types; they love it. I think it's what we call 'Soft Power'.

And no, standards are not dropping. Just because I don't have to wear a 3 piece suit on a Sunday morning at Breakfast does not mean that standards are dropping. It means the Club is listening to members' concerns.

rolling20
6th Jan 2015, 12:19
The club I feel is good value, membership is reasonable. Colleagues of mine belong to C+G next door and pay around 3 times as much in membership.
My children have always been welcomed into the club and other members make a fuss of them. It is what you make of it and my only regret is that I cannot use it more.

Exascot
6th Jan 2015, 12:24
Yes here we go again! I have been a member now for 37 yrs. For the last 16 yrs I have lived abroad. I last tried to stay at The Club about 6 yrs ago (midweek). They were full. I have booked in June this year. This will be an extremely expensive room given my subscriptions over the years. But, to us it is an oasis in the middle of an environment we are now totally unaccustomed to.

Also if you are not a member you do not have access to the page to see who has croaked each month :E

Heathrow Harry
6th Jan 2015, 13:19
still a real bargain and excellent facilities

Pontius Navigator
6th Jan 2015, 13:54
Exascot, get an umbrella.

Essential for pushing through the ignorant crowds milling outside the Hard Rock Cafe.

I agree about the Oasis and I always take a shower if I am not staying over. Even with infrequent visits the long serving staff know and greet us.

Flying Lawyer
6th Jan 2015, 14:25
skuaI think you will find the Club's normal rate compares very favourably with the 'country' membership rates of other West End clubs. And the booze and food is reasonably priced too.

Fair points.

The subs of equivalent London clubs are considerably higher than the RAF Club.

The annual sub at the one to which I belong is £1260.
Country membership (150 miles from London) is £630.

RAF Club:
Serving Officers pay from £41 to a maximum of £161 (Air Cdre & above.)
eg Sqn Ldr £80.
(Figures from the Club website.)

newt
6th Jan 2015, 14:42
I'm not an East Anglian yet jindabyne! Can't sell my mansion in Scotland!:{

CoffmanStarter
6th Jan 2015, 14:55
I know Twitter isn't that popular with some ... But the RAF Club 'feed' is really quite good ... some interesting historic pics :ok:

https://twitter.com/TheRAFClub

Tankertrashnav
6th Jan 2015, 15:50
RAF Club:
Serving Officers pay from £41 to a maximum of £161 (Air Cdre & above.)
eg Sqn Ldr £80.
(Figures from the Club website.)

Thats true, F-L, but I felt somewhat aggrieved when I discovered that as a retired flight lieutenant I was paying more than a serving group captain!

I have in fact just resigned, purely because on the rare occasions I visit London I have as often as not been unsuccessful in securing a room. However I do agree with the "oasis" argument, and though the bedrooms may be pretty poky by most standards (the Premier Inn room I stayed in on my last visit knocked spots off the Club bedrooms), the public areas are terrific, and a drink in the Cowdray Lounge is the one thing I'll really miss on my next visit, whenever that may be.

Exascot
6th Jan 2015, 16:02
TT We would be delighted to buy you a drink at 128 on 19th or 20th June as our guest. We have actually booked one of the new suites so perhaps it will not be so poky. A word which I would certainly agree with from previous stays.

Actually Flt Lt Exascot resigned as she gets almost the same rights as the wife of a member so we did save on subscriptions there :ok:

Tankertrashnav
6th Jan 2015, 16:07
Thats very kind ex ascot. We did stay in a suite many years ago when some cockup in the bookings meant that our booked room was not available. Only paid the normal room rate and the suite was very comfortable - enjoy your stay :ok:

Aubrey.
6th Jan 2015, 16:29
I'm a family member of the club (Dad was a Sqn Ldr) and pay the full rate. I visit several times a year and having been to other comparable London clubs, 128 is excellent value for money. Most similar London clubs are approaching £1000 a year membership. I'm always made to feel very welcome, despite not having served, and I consider it a privilege to be a part of it. I wanted to stay there a few months ago but it was fully booked, so the Guards club next door kindly accommodated me for about 20% more than staying at 128. The club is a delightful place to spend time and I'd highly recommend it to all :ok:

Wander00
6th Jan 2015, 17:08
I was in the Club 18 months ago when the French Air Force squadron badges were unveiled. Made me sorry I was not still a Member, although from France somewhat impracticable. Long may it continue, and thanks Rick for making me so welcome.

jindabyne
6th Jan 2015, 18:23
The en-suite single rooms are small, but I wouldn't use the word poky. Stayed there in December, in a newly refurbished room which had a very classy and comfortable feel. That aside, the nature of both my visits and my fellow guests ensure that it's only used for sleep - and precious little of that :ok:

NRU74
6th Jan 2015, 19:26
I've been a member for 53 years now and was foiled (b@stards) on the 'free' membership scheme by only about 12 days when the Honorary Life Membership for members with 50 yrs continuous membership was abolished c 3 yrs ago.
However at the moment my 'frozen' subscription is £128-94 pa - incredible value even tho' I only use the place a couple of times a year.

The Old Fat One
6th Jan 2015, 21:57
To me it's all a little twee and quaint. Not knocking it - to each his own. Struggling to see how it offers value for money though, unless you are a reg of course - and unlike many of you, I was born there (there = yee old London town).

Am I still persona non grata? I joined on day 1 at IOT (for a quiet life) and promptly resigned 1 year and 1 day later.

PN - believe it or believe not, The Hard Rock cafe in Piccadilly was actually part of my paper round - I sh1t you not.

7th Jan 2015, 12:19
Another alternative worth considering for a 'one off' stay in London is the Union Jack club - nice rooms, good food and cheap beer!
Very close to Waterloo and not bad rates (For London!) from what I can remember.

Basil
7th Jan 2015, 12:42
TTN, sent a PM but receivedTankertrashnav has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

Also sent to Exascot

Bronx
7th Jan 2015, 14:54

I remember being told the Union Jack Club is for lower ranks only not commissioned officers, either currently serving or vet.

That was on a visit to London many years ago. Has it changed?

newt
7th Jan 2015, 15:05
I have used the Union Jack Club and apart from the stroppy little git on the door who insisted I provide an ID card, it is adequate!

BEagle
7th Jan 2015, 15:24
...the stroppy little git...

Are you sure that wasn't just a mirror ;) ??

Tankertrashnav
7th Jan 2015, 15:36
Basil - space cleared for your PM

NRU 74 - similarly I missed the "frozen" membership for over 65s by ONE DAY as it was abolished on my 65th birthday - GRRRRR!:*

NutLoose
7th Jan 2015, 16:56
Union Jack Club

Officers can stay as Temporary honorary members see

Membership Application - Union Jack Club : Union Jack Club (http://www.ujclub.co.uk/membership/membership-application/)

Damn, and I thought the place was more exclusive than to let the rabble in :E

1.3VStall
7th Jan 2015, 17:06
I have been a member of 128 for well over 40 years.

These days, living "Oop North" I don't get to stay very often, but I wouldn't dream of giving up my membership. I think it offers great value.

When I do visit I am always warmly welcomed by the staff and, like many others, I find the place to be an oasis of peace in the centre of London. I always manage to find a mate, or at least a like-minded individual in the Running Horse.

If people want an excellent, cheaper option try the Victory Services Club - £35 per year for me and SWMBO. (We're members so that we have a fallback position if the RAF Club rooms are fully booked when we want to stay in town).

8th Jan 2015, 09:59
Yep, as said above - Officers can use the UJ club, but cannot join as members.
The guy on the door does like to check for ID, but as I am a 'Retired' VR(T) Officer with no ID card, he was quite happy to accept a standard letter issued by HQAC when I resigned.

I believe you can just pop in and use the bar / restaurant if you wish...providing you get through the doorman again.
They also have a useful bag safe service, last time I was there if you were staying it was free or a £1 a day (IIRC) to leave as many bags as you like, very handy if you plan a bit of sightseeing and don't want to lug cases around.

Pheasant
8th Jan 2015, 14:15
UJC will accept the official Defence Discount Card as ID.