PDA

View Full Version : Cost of flying US mil aircraft.

Al R
5th Jan 2015, 00:14
Chart Shows Hourly Cost Of Military Aircraft - Business Insider (http://uk.businessinsider.com/chart-shows-hourly-cost-of-military-aircraft-2014-12?r=US)

I know it's not a direct like for like comparison, but I wonder how many Reapers you could get for the B2. A-10 seems absurdly cheap.

TBM-Legend
5th Jan 2015, 04:56
Hourly rates can be very misleading as it depends on if and how they attribute fixed costs and how many hours are to be flown. A B-2 for example might only be tasked for 150 hours per annum compared to another type [say C-130/P-3] that eats lots of flight hours because of the utilisation. These charts never tell the whole story>>

Lima Juliet
5th Jan 2015, 09:23
The Reaper figure looks to have missed off the satellite bandwidth costs, so the quoted figure is to fly line of sight only. I reckon you could add another $2000-$3000 to the figure for sattelite controlled beyond line of sight.

As said, previously, misleading...

LJ

Al R
5th Jan 2015, 09:49
Leon,

That's ok - Plusnet is offering pretty good unlimited deals at the moment.

TBM,

If a resource only flies 150 hours a year, doesn't that provide the proof that it costs more to fly because the value isn't being derived? Yes, it was a simplistic piece but I thought it interesting, and if an A-10 or Reaper is constantly being run ragged, I'm sure there are lots of other ongoing costs too. :ok:

TBM-Legend
5th Jan 2015, 10:00
AI R:

The chart is indeed interesting. My point was that the source of the data is a big variable and yes I understand that bigger is >$$$$$$$ generally speaking..

cattletruck
5th Jan 2015, 10:20
Hmmm, businessinsider...

I'm confident that if ever we went to an all out international war fought with modern day accounting practices and principles we would win the battle decisively :ugh:.

We'll even switch the lights off when we leave, just like the British Navy.

KPax
5th Jan 2015, 10:31
I believe there has been a P3 operating out of Lossie for the entire Xmas Grant, wonder what for and how much it is costing us. Maybe we should buy our own MPA.

ShotOne
5th Jan 2015, 19:48
"...we would win the battle decisively.." It's fashionable here to scoff at anyone debating how to pay the piper but most wars in history have been won by the side with most money. Great commanders have never needed lecturing on the importance of good accounting. There still exists a letter from Nelson written on the very eve of Trafalgar about the accounting for a consignment of lemons.

Al R
5th Jan 2015, 20:15
"We have enumerated our saddles, bridles, tents and tent poles. and all manner of sundry items for which His Majesty's government holds me accountable.. Unfortunately, the sum of one shilling and ninepence remains unaccounted for in one infantry battalion's petty cash and there has been a hideous confusion as to the number of jars of raspberry jam issued to one cavalry regiment. This brings me to my present purpose, which is to request elucidation of my instructions. Am I 1) to train an army of uniformed British clerks for the benefit of the accountant and copy boys in London, or, perchance, 2) to see to it that the forces of Napoleon are driven out of Spain?"

Arthur Wellesley