PDA

View Full Version : Using an old Diesel tank to store Avgas

Nose_Wheel
4th Jan 2015, 03:39
Hello all. Looking at using an above ground 2000L diesel tank to store Avgas. Obviously would require a clean however was looking for any regs that talk about the specific requirements for storing, testing and using above ground tanks for storing Avgas.

YPJT
4th Jan 2015, 04:03
Depends on which state you are in. In WA the dept of mines and petroleum are the regulatory authority. Not sure about what quantities are required before they get involved.

WAC
4th Jan 2015, 04:19
In SA, our farm tanks can be diesel gravity feed from above ground, but petrol tanks have to be on ground and pumped. I assume the same would apply to avgas as petrol.

Horatio Leafblower
4th Jan 2015, 04:49
Why don't you call the company that will be supplying you?

I have found Aerorefuellers and Skyfuel are both full-bottle on the rules and regulations and they probably have an interest in helping you make it work.

...and they probably won't supply to you if the set-up isn't right. :=

Frank Arouet
4th Jan 2015, 05:05
Assuming cleanliness, an above ground tank will need to used with a mindset toward heat/ evaporation and many sites require a bund wall capable of containment. Some sites may require protection from collision. I've only seen 500 gallon tanks used as temporary means of fuel delivery at fly-ins but many on private property. Your fuel agent will either deliver or not according to his interpretation of his responsibilities and duty of care. He issues the release note after all. If you purchased the quantity in 200 litre drums, where you put it is your business. I wouldn't ask CAsA.

Sunfish
4th Jan 2015, 05:49
Unless you want a world of hurt and expense, simply put drums in a trailer. Then the whole bund / containment / emergency shutoff stuff doesn’t apply because you have a temporary mobile storage.

......but learn how to handle fuel in drums first.

P.S I'm assuming avgas here, if it is jet fuel its a very different matter.

currawong
4th Jan 2015, 06:31
Your fuel supplier will give you the specs required.

If you do not meet the specs, they are unlikely to drop fuel.

It is not that hard, have done one before.

From memory, the tank had to have the capacity to be inspected (ie a manhole), had an approved lining applied by an accredited applicator, and a breather.

There ends the suppliers interest. Where and how it gets into your aircraft then becomes the interest of the regulator. Again, not that hard.

The tank we did was about 2000lt, do not recall that it required bunding, but that may have changed.

Jabawocky
4th Jan 2015, 09:31
Nose wheel, send me an email or give me a call, I have friends in the right places…..namely the owner of Aerorefuellers. And he is a GOOD bloke. :ok:

OHH PM with details :E

onetrack
4th Jan 2015, 10:03
I think you'll find you can no longer pump any type of petrol into overhead tanks with a mobile tanker that uses a hand-held hose inserted into the filler pipe mounted on top of the tank.
The reason being, accidental spillage falls back down onto the tanker and the ground and creates a serious fire hazard.
The only way an overhead tank can be filled is if the tank has proper fill piping installed with a proper camlock coupler and a one-way valve to prevent fuel losses in case of accidental detachment of the tanker supply hose.
The tank also has to have some form of automatic fill cut-off when it reaches maximum holding capacity.

I used to have an overhead petrol tank in the wheatbelt in the 1960's and the local fuel agent used to just use an 8 ton truck with a fuel company bulk tank fitted to it, and pumped out of that tank with a portable fuel pump powered by a single-cylinder Petter diesel.
The tanker supply hose was just inserted in the top of the tank and the refueller had to watch he didn't spill any petrol.

However, the authorities clamped down on this system and outlawed it, when a couple of refuelling tankers caught fire when a refueller spilt petrol from an overhead tank during the fill process, and it splashed down onto the hot exhaust of the pump engine.

gerry111
4th Jan 2015, 11:40
Some of the budding character building activity for student pilots is long lost. For those at Schofields Flying Club in 1983, pumping Avgas from 200 litre drums was part of the adventure. And it was hard work, even though we were much younger then!

One rather encouraging fact though. All five Piper Warriors that were there then are still flying. CWW, FTU, IJK, MHE and SVK. MHE was pranged in a fatal and later purchased and rebuilt by Ray and Aminta at YSBK and is now PZG.

nomorecatering
5th Jan 2015, 06:06
Transtank | Self Bunded Tanks | Double Wall Tanks | Diesel Fuel Tanks T4.5 (http://www.transtank.com/product/transtank-t4-5/?gclid=CMq4yeOk_MICFUIHvAod8jkAbw)

I gather this is what you want. $7000, sounds step but building a bunded area is going to cost not much less.

onetrack
5th Jan 2015, 07:00
nomore catering - Your link shows a ground level tank. The OP is talking about utilising an old overhead tank.
There's a major difference between how ground level tanks and overhead tanks are treated, in fuel storage and handling regulations.

LeadSled
5th Jan 2015, 07:48
An old friend of mine had a smart solution to this problem --- he bought the trailer part of a petrol tanker, and parked it convenient to his ramp.
Had all the right piping for filling.
As a "vehicle" that was not "fixed" there were no council approvals required, and no bunds. As it was never to be used on the roads again, no rego. or other RTA requirements.
His insurance company was happy.
And all the right piping and pumps (after some minor mods) for delivery.
It also meant he could buy a whole "tanker" of fuel in one go, the difference in price compared to buying smaller part loads was substantial, he bought direct from the oil company regional wholesale distributor, not from a retail agent.
Tootle pip!!