PDA

View Full Version : Somebody listened . . . . Well done

Brian W May
2nd Jan 2015, 11:29
An attack of commonsense at DoD. (Until recently, they were busy scrapping them as irrelevant hardware)

Perhaps it could leach across to MoD?

A-10 Thunderbolt II Gets New Wings, Ensures the Sound of Freedom into 2035 - Topic A: DefenseTopic A: Defense (http://boeing.rollcall.com/topic-a/sponsored-post/10-thunderbolt-ii-gets-new-wings-ensures-sound-freedom-2035/)

melmothtw
2nd Jan 2015, 11:37
I'm afraid that this doesn't mean what you think (hope) it means. It is one of the vagaries of the US defence procurement system that these re-winging contracts continue to be issued and renewed despite the A-10 being for the chopping block.

2035 is the OSD as envisaged with the re-winging process. If the USAF gets its way (which it is still trying to do), the A-10's OSD will be a lot sooner than that.

switch_on_lofty
2nd Jan 2015, 19:39
Didn't the Jag get new wings or engines shortly before it was scrapped?

Bigbux
2nd Jan 2015, 21:40
Didn't the Nimrod MR4 get a new........ok, I'll leave it there.

Brian W May
2nd Jan 2015, 21:46
You guys certainly do have fair points.

Perhaps my naivety has broken out again . . . oh dear

Rhino power
2nd Jan 2015, 22:23
The A-10 only received a stay of execution until around the end of 2015, after that you can bet the USAF will be trying their best again to get it retired. After all, they'll need all the money they can get to continue paying for that abortion of a jet, the F-35, in an effort to get it to be something approaching useful... :suspect:

-RP