PDA

View Full Version : Did you work with helicopters at Brooklands?

helihub
31st Dec 2014, 16:01
Brooklands Museum is setting up a reunion in late January for anyone involved in operating helicopters from Brooklands in the 70s and 80s - flying, maintaining, supporting etc in whatever way - an initial list of companies is given below. Please PM me for details.

Air Hanson
Glenwood Helicopters
Starspeed
CB Helicopters
Tradewinds Helicopters
Trafalgar House
Source Premium & Promotional Consultants
Autokraft
customers who had machines maintained there
etc etc

Feel free to reply with other company names which may be relevant to "Helicopters at Brooklands"

paco
31st Dec 2014, 16:02
I remember it well...

Phil

Geoffersincornwall
31st Dec 2014, 17:50
Me too. I did the very last SE night charter permitted before they were outlawed and had to perform a night arrival by the light of a 150W bulb over the hangar door after both (yes both) landing lights failed on my dear old Jetbox.

All went OK which was just as well because the client was one of the Rothschild family.

Weasel Watcher
2nd Jan 2015, 15:07
Those were the days, when life was busy and fun! I remember dropping in for tea on the way back to Hayes many times. Bring on the reunion.

Camp Freddie
3rd Jan 2015, 05:38
Me too. I did the very last SE night charter permitted before they were outlawed

Mr Geoffers, what year was that?

Regards

Geoffersincornwall
3rd Jan 2015, 06:11
I'll have to check my log book but from memory it would have been in the mid to late 80's.

G.

AnFI
3rd Jan 2015, 17:47
CF i thought it was about 1988. That's what RW said. (is he dead yet?)
There was no specific reason for it, just the McA attempt to seek commercial advantage by advocating the need for twins with their AS355.
Short sighted and detrimental to the advance of helicopter use. So many broken night twins now, maybe they should ban twins at night?

Camp Freddie
5th Jan 2015, 09:17
AnFI,

thankyou, who is RW & McA?

regards

AnFI
5th Jan 2015, 20:30
Rod Wood (maybe just hibernating?!) and McAlpine (now EuroBus UK)

Camp Freddie
5th Jan 2015, 22:12
ah Rodders!

did my CPL test with him and some of my IR training too, the rest with Stuart Hughes, so long ago was almost in the last century.