PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind solo - check!

Andy_P
29th Dec 2014, 06:18
Before my little accident with skippy I was just waiting to do my crosswind solo so I could do the area solo. YRED is notorious for crosswinds, so much to my annoyance after about 6 hours of doing solo circuits I still did not get a crosswind, so we continued on with other advanced stuff.

Nearly 8 months after the accident, and about 3 lessons in (one cut short due to bad weather) I finally got a crosswind!! Finally I can move on. Next lesson is area to revise steep turns and forced landings then I should be doing an area solo.

I have been down the club pretty much full time, even though weather has prevented me flying it makes a huge difference to the learning curve. I am sitting in the aircraft in the hanger pretending to fly. Practicing emergency procedures and shutdowns etc. Also getting some good time in with the theory books. I am booked in to fly pretty much every single day now, so I should be able to finish all this off very quickly now.

thing
29th Dec 2014, 10:44
Good call on sitting in the cockpit going through checks etc. I never say anything ('cos I'm not an instructor) but I'm always a little sad when studes at my club get a lesson cancelled because of the weather and then they have a brew and go home.

I used to sit in the cockpit and go through emergency drills or whatever I wanted. Just sitting there getting used to the view out and how the controls fall to hand is worth the effort.

localflighteast
29th Dec 2014, 14:39
my first solo away from the airport was probably more memorable for me than my actual first solo, mostly because i was relaxed enough to actually enjoy it.

Congrats, looking forward to reading about your next flight.

Onwards and upwards!