PDA

View Full Version : Best deep midwinter alcoholic drink.

Hangarshuffle
26th Dec 2014, 19:46
In this deep midwinter period what is everyone on?
Weather Bombs are forecast here tonight, whatever the hell they are>?! Sun was low and cloaked by the cloud. The newish Moon has a snow coating as my gran used to say.

I can recommend Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout at 5%....this is deep, sweet rich and a smooth drink.
Also Guinness West Indies Porter at 6% with a shot of Mr Fitzpatrick's Blackcurrant and Liquorice Cordial mixed in.....top.

Also I like a Dark and Stormy- which is Navy Rum mixed in with a Demerara based dark home made Ginger Wine. Nice and mellow that.

Decent Ruby Port, and the good old Co-ops is perfectly acceptable.

So happy Winterval everyone.(see what I did then)?

NutLoose
26th Dec 2014, 19:49
Crabbies do a nice alcoholic ginger beer that tastes like the old stuff.

http://www.crabbiesgingerbeer.co.uk/

Hangarshuffle
26th Dec 2014, 19:58
Crabbies is like a starter drink though, to get kids hooked. Yer narc...Ive been on the stones green and the ROCHESTER Dark, they are okay.

Tashengurt
26th Dec 2014, 20:29
I know it's considered by many to be a ladies drink but on nights such as this I'm partial to a Baileys. Not tonight though. Night shift beckons.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Sun Who
26th Dec 2014, 20:30
Talisker Storm.

Sun.

NutLoose
26th Dec 2014, 20:56
I know it's considered by many to be a ladies drink but on nights such as this I'm partial to a Baileys.

I like that too, poured over ice.

KPax
26th Dec 2014, 21:03
A large Malt, cures all ill's.

Ogre
26th Dec 2014, 21:06
If I'm guaranteed not to need to go anywhere before bed and the wild and wintry weather is rattling the letter box, I am rather partial to Guiness and a nice dry cider, mixed 50-50. The nomenclature of said mixture was "Hooligan soup" when I first met it, and while it may sound pretty disgusting it has a certain smoothness to it that makes it very palatable.

For the ladies you can also throw in a dash of blackcurrent, but before sitting down to the first one make sure you a) hide your car keys and b) have a clear path to your proposed sleeping location for the evening......

dctyke
26th Dec 2014, 22:00
'Twas out in the Cairngorms one winter doing an overnighter when someone produced a thermos full of hot Baileys........ Heaven!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Dec 2014, 22:09
When it's dark and stormy at sea, I dig out the hipflask and pass it round the crew. I've had a lot of stuff in there over the years; malts, port, Southern Comfort, and my personal preference is Armagnac. However, the one that gets the most "Thanks skipper - I needed that"s among the full range of ages and genders is Remy Martin brandy.

VSOP is fine - anything better is somewhat wasted given people are usually getting facefuls of saltwater, which tends to affect the tastebuds somewhat (this is yachts, not big ships)

A and C
26th Dec 2014, 22:18
Mount Gay 1703, a blend of 20 year old rums from the worlds oldest continuously operating distillery.

glad rag
26th Dec 2014, 22:39
Old Peculiar is a potion indeed, VERY moreish and availabe bottled too but overall takes second place to the fine brews from the microbrewery in Barrowden, underneath The Exeter Arms.

I have to say a selection of Real English Ales at their finest,

"In the winter, enjoy the roaring log fires and cosy atmosphere of the Exeter Arms."

:ok:

NutLoose
27th Dec 2014, 01:35
I needed that"s among the full range of ages and genders is Remy Martin brandy.

I still have an unopened bottle of 1.5 ltr? Remy Champagne cognac that was bought from the NAAFI in Germany sometime around 1977

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Dec 2014, 01:47
1977? You only have 3 options:

1. Down in One
2. Donate to nearest Service yacht
3. Bring it over here & I'll drink it for you.

;)

Big Pistons Forever
27th Dec 2014, 01:59
I still have an unopened bottle of 1.5 ltr? Remy Champagne cognac that was bought from the NAAFI in Germany sometime around 1977

This not a "best deep midwinter alcoholic drink" :* , opening this is a celebration of a once in a lifetime event like the birth of the first grandchild or at the celebration of life of a parent that has died :(

If it is cold and nasty outside, but you are warm and comfy in front of a fire than a glass of your favorite brown tipple is the "best" drink......and so there is no doubt.....all good alcoholic beverages are brown :ok:

DON T
27th Dec 2014, 06:43
Ola dubh 18, a lovely beer from Harviestoun Brewery matured in Highland Park 18 year old barrels. Fair warms the cockles of yer heart!:

sandozer
27th Dec 2014, 06:44
A wide glass, and Lagavulin. :ok:

kaitakbowler
27th Dec 2014, 06:49
Edradour, Please.

Andy H
27th Dec 2014, 08:22
We drink my own orange & rhubarb kamikaze brew at Christmas. Wouldn't give it to guests though -- too good for them!

Sloppy Link
27th Dec 2014, 08:27
Home made sloe gin. Has the added pleasure of recalling the pricked and scratched hands collecting the little devils and the quality time spent with the family making the concoction in the kitchen (mine are all adults before the outrage bus sets off).

5aday
27th Dec 2014, 08:57
Special ones , I have a bottle of Krug ] unopened from when I got a promotion in 1998, a couple of home made Schnapps from Kleinlobming in Austria, and loads of duty free spirits from every time I got home that I bought from tramping/positioning around the world.

BEagle
27th Dec 2014, 09:35
Piping hot Glühwein laced with Captain Morgan spiced rum is pretty good for keeping one nice and mellow!

NutLoose
27th Dec 2014, 11:07
Blimey, just looked for a picture of the Remy and it now sells for £200 a bottle

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11077.aspx

Willard Whyte
27th Dec 2014, 11:10
...all good alcoholic beverages are brown.

My '40 yr' tawny port falls in to that category, so I'm in agreement.

ricardian
27th Dec 2014, 11:32
I will stick with my home-brewed "Traditional English Ale"

ACW599
27th Dec 2014, 11:51
If you happen to be in Indiana or Illinois, 'Dirty Helen' beer is wonderful stuff. Nothing at all like the usual American gnat's-wee. If at home by a roaring fire, Disaronno on ice in copious quantities is very effective at keeping the cold out. The recommended fallback is either 1:1 Pimm's and lemonade or a large glass of Taylor's 10-year-old port.

Capetonian
27th Dec 2014, 12:19
Hot chocolate (has to be Caotina, a Swiss make) made with full cream milk (or 50% of the sad watery muck that passes for milk in most of Europe except DE, AT, and NL, + 50% cream). Whipped cream on top, and a generous shot or three of Tia Maria/Kahlua/Amarula/Nachtmusik according to preference.

MFC_Fly
27th Dec 2014, 13:31
Takes a few days to prep, but everyone that has tried it love it...

BBC - Food - Recipes : Christmas pudding vodka (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/christmas_pudding_vodka_45343)

switch_on_lofty
27th Dec 2014, 14:07
Bombardinos every time.

From Wikipedia:

Bombardino is a drink popular in Italy during the Winter, especially in the ski resorts. It is made by mixing 1/2 Advocaat or eggnog and 1/2 Brandy, mixed with spirit of the alps. It is served hot and with whipped cream on top. It has several variations: with coffee (calimero), with rum (pirata) or whisky (scozzese). The calimero variation is one part Brandy, one part Vov (an egg-based liqueur), and one part espresso. The Bombardino's name is supposedly derived from one of its first imbibers noting its hot temperature and high alcohol and remarking (in Italian) "It's like a bomb!".

sled dog
27th Dec 2014, 14:46
Large glass of "Chairmans Reserve Spiced Rum",from St Lucia, and a good filtered coffee ( not Nespresso type ). Keep the Chairmans bottle close at hand, as it is addictive.....

seafire6b
27th Dec 2014, 16:52
If I'm getting a lift to watch rugby, then it's a Whisky Mac - 50/50 whisky (but not a decent one!) and green ginger wine. If I'm driving to the game, once I'm back home afterwards, two or three will often help a defeat become just a little easier to bear!

Strange that upon asking for a Whisky Mac in pubs and bars, the serving staff very often don't know what you're talking about, even here in Scotland ...

NutLoose
27th Dec 2014, 17:04
I used to enjoy a nice pint of mild in the winters past, trouble is you don't tend to see it much these days.

Danny42C
28th Dec 2014, 02:24
Baileys bulked-out a bit with hot, strong coffee.

Carews (indian) Gin and condensed milk (acquired taste) for ex-Sahibs.

Proper draught Guinness (can it exist outside the Old Country ?) from the wood. (Should be possible to float an old penny on the 'head').

(to end a really good meal): Bénédictine.

(All the above best in front of a roaring open fire).

Chacun à son goût. D.

Q-RTF-X
28th Dec 2014, 02:53
MFC Fly

BBC - Food - Recipes : Christmas pudding vodka (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/christmas_pudding_vodka_45343)

Interesting, if I can rummage up the ingredients might rush make a special twelfth night libation; any ideas on use of the remaining fruit; perhaps a base for mince pies, or next years Christmas pud? :hmm:

Thanks for the recipe !

Melchett01
28th Dec 2014, 10:37
Seafire6b,

I don't think the Whisky Mac is particularly well known anywhere - you're the only other person I've heard of that drinks it! Most of my chums would frankly like to see me up against a wall and shot for adding anything to whisky, especially when you're out of blend and make it with a single malt!

It may be a little 'feminine' for some tastes, but I personally enjoy a glass of amaretto if I'm in from the cold. It probably appeals to my sweet tooth as it reminds me of Bakewell tart in liquid form with a bit of a kick.

A slightly stranger and definitely more acquired taste is Jägermeister. But again, that will most definitely keep you warm on a cold day.

Big Pistons Forever
28th Dec 2014, 17:08
Takes a few days to prep, but everyone that has tried it love it...

That's just wrong :ugh::=

NutLoose
28th Dec 2014, 18:10
Interesting, if I can rummage up the ingredients might rush make a special twelfth night libation; any ideas on use of the remaining fruit; perhaps a base for mince pies, or next years Christmas pud?

Rumtopf jar?

Recipe for Rumtopf (http://www.germandeli.com/Information/Recipe-for-Rumtopf/)

;)

Basil
28th Dec 2014, 20:38
I know it's considered by many to be a ladies drink but on nights such as this I'm partial to a Baileys.
With the addition of a smidgeon of whisk(e)y or vodka :E

Dark & Stormy - yup, dark rum + Crabbie's ginger wine - blow yer socks off!

Basil
28th Dec 2014, 20:41
Special ones , I have a bottle of Krug ] unopened from when I got a promotion in 1998
I'm not sure Fizz keeps that well; may be an idea to drink it. I'll help if you have a problem ;)

BEagle
28th Dec 2014, 21:06
Basil - surely you mean Crabbie's ginger beer?

The Dark and Stormy hails from Bermuda - and very good it is too!

Thelma Viaduct
28th Dec 2014, 21:21
Bishop's Finger, best thing that ever came from the south, not that's a particularly difficult achievement or owt.

RedhillPhil
28th Dec 2014, 22:04
Last (2013) year I decided to finally have a crack at making Sloe gin. I bought a bottle of someone's reasonably cheap brand then sallied forth to the banks of the might River Mole to pick Sloes. Returning home I pricked them all as advised, tipped them into a large "Kilner" jar, added the gin, poured in the requisite amount of sugar - can't remember how much - and then, eying the remains of a fresh fruit salad thought, "why not" and tipped in the strawberries, blueberries, rasberries et al (nothing citrus though). I put the jar in a dark recess in the shed and left it to fester until Christmas - and promptly forgot all about it. About a week ago Mrs Phil asked, "what happened to that Sloe gin that you did"?
Into the inner recess of the shed I went and out came a spiders web and dust encrusted Kilner jar. I Carefully decanted it through a piece of muslin and poured a little to taste. Holding the glass up to the light revealed it to be a lovely rich ruby red colour.
It tasted heavenly, really rich and fruity in a liqueur sort of way but without being sweet.
It's not going to be around for very long methinks.

Basil
29th Dec 2014, 09:15
surely you mean Crabbie's ginger beer?
No; definitely Crabbie's Green Ginger Wine at 13.5% vol.
That's why it blows yer socks off! :}

I was introduced to it in Bermuda during my final line check on the B747 and, if they make it with ginger beer, then I must have been so inebriated that I misunderstood the recipe and have been using ginger wine ever since.
The other memory of that trip was when, on the return, I mentioned to the checker that I didn't know where I was going next, his response was "Nor with which company!" ;)

A Merry Crishmash to all, hic!

oxenos
29th Dec 2014, 09:26
"Crabbie's Green Ginger Wine"

Even better with a little added brandy.

A sort of high octane Horse's Neck

taxydual
29th Dec 2014, 09:44
Further to the Sloe Gin mentioned above. Once the glorious liquid has been poured off, replace it with still cider and leave. The gin soaked sloes and the cider meld beautifully together. Hic.

Al R
30th Dec 2014, 06:07
A nip or two of the most peaty of Islay Malts will do it for me, I had a couple of glasses of Dura the other evening. Less is more these days..

EngAl
30th Dec 2014, 15:08
Further to the sloe gins above.
We made it often, but a couple of years ago heard about apple and blackberry gin and found a recipe on T'internet. It's preparation is less labour intensive, although of course you can still get pricked picking the blackberries - perhaps pain is part of the ritual? But it's ready sooner (2 - 3 months) and (in my view) tastes better.