PDA

View Full Version : RAA instructional hours, do they count?

Elevator Driver
23rd Dec 2014, 04:57
Ladies and Gents,

So with the introduction of the well crafted and easily understood part 61...

A question, are instructional hours given in RAA registered aircraft able to be counted toward GA times to meet the requirements for higher grades of rating eg grade 1&2?

This question primarily comes about as under part 61 a person who hold a recreational pilots certificate issued by RAA can apply for an RPL, so if the standard of training is considered to be good enough for casa to issue an RPL on the basis of a RPC, one begs the question does the time count for the instructor?

Draggertail
23rd Dec 2014, 05:24
I did look at this a while ago and I think the answer is no. There was a clause in there that said the hours needed were to be accumulated in an aircraft you are authorized to use with your rating or some such legal mumbo jumbo.

Aussie Bob
23rd Dec 2014, 07:40
A good question, sorry I can't answer it, BUT ....

I have presented a couple of instructors for upgrade to grade 2 and it appears it depends on the ATO. If the instructors have been working under an AOC training PPL students in RAA registered aircraft then the answer appears to be yes. If the instructors have been working at the local RAA school then the answer appears to be no. This definition is from an ATO approved to do instructor upgrades and he claims to have it in ink from CASA. My inquiry to CASA revealed a different answer.

In short, the legislation appears a bit difficult to understand and I personally, am over reading rules and do so under sufferance when there is a dire necessity.

My own opinion is that I know several RAA instructors with PPL qualifications only whose instructional skills meet or exceed that of the average grade 1 GA instructor.

My question is then, when will these guys be given the opportunity to do limited training in GA registered aircraft?

Good question Elevator Driver, sorry I can't answer it! However, CASA do not say the standard of training is good enough for the issue of an RPL. They leave this decision up to a GA instructor qualified to do an AFR.