PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated PPL (H) info please

Whiskey Hotel
22nd Dec 2014, 23:44
Hi, anyone able to recommend somewhere in Europe to do an accelerated EASA PPL (H) please? Ideally around 21 days or so.

Anyone have any experience of these? Ppl h is only 9500 which seems very cheap..
Private Pilot ( PPL ) Accelerated Course Airplane / Helicopter - Details : TakeOff.aero - Flugschule für Flugzeuge und Hubschrauber FAA EASA JAA, import export und offshore trust registrierung.Los Angeles,Hawaii,Europa und Russland (http://www.takeoff.aero/?p=333)

hueyracer
23rd Dec 2014, 05:41
Depends on when you want to do it….if the school is not too busy, it should work…

There is a school in Germany where i use to work part time as an instructor and examiner…..you could give them a call..

Hubschrauber-Flüge in Rheinland und Ruhrgebiet - Starts ab: Mönchengladbach, Aachen, Düsseldorf, Köln/Bonn, Krefeld, Essen und Dortmund - Heli NRW GmbH (http://www.heli-nrw.de/home/)

jeepys
23rd Dec 2014, 07:51
9,500 Euros I would say is impossible for a PPL(H).
Be aware.

JoshG
23rd Dec 2014, 08:04
And €6k for a CPL(H) that you do in 10 days? I wonder if you also get a complimentary unicorn with the course.....

Hughes500
23rd Dec 2014, 08:26
You will be hard pushed to do it in 21 days!
Assuming weather is good every day so you will fly a minimum of 2.2 hours a day plus learn all the 9 exam subjects, me thinks that is a tall order !
AS for 9500 euros that just about coves the cost of fuel and the instructor ( fuel is 2 euros a litre times 36 litres an hour times 45 that's about 3500 euros just in fuel )

As an instructor with 6000 hours teaching I doubt very much you will be ale to do that, but best of luck trying. A question though, how do you accelerate the course ?

HeliHenri
23rd Dec 2014, 08:36

Hughes500
A question though, how do you accelerate the course ?

Well .... You fly faster ... :E

puntosaurus
23rd Dec 2014, 09:01
The shortest course I ever ran was about six weeks, and it was a brutal regime for the student. Don't forget you've got to run the theoretical knowledge learning at the same time.

GoodGrief
23rd Dec 2014, 09:44
I've done it before and will never do it again.
Taking on a student that is in a rush, that is.
They don't have the right mindset.

A student's brain is maxed out at 10 flight hours per week, add to that the proper ground instruction without cutting corners plus 5 to 7 days of non-flyable weather (wind / visibility ).
6 weeks minimum.

Spunk
23rd Dec 2014, 11:58
Come on guys, this is a very professional company;)

1. No imprint
2. phone numbers only on request
3. all the mentioned addresses represent the airport offices, not their company
4. all named testimonials for some strange reason have a european background (mainly German / Austrian) though they have their base in the US
5. no word on the required visa to fly in the US (for the foreigners they are aiming at)
6. etc etc etc

And I'm pretty sure that you have to pay up front before you qualify for the low prices.

Boring.

Gordy
23rd Dec 2014, 16:17
Looking at it, this if for the FAA license---, their whole website is designed around comparing the differences and "convincing" the suspect to get an FAA license.

See Here (http://www.takeoff.aero/?page_id=275)

Can I use my U.S. pilot licence anywhere in the world ?

The answer for this – probably most common – question is : yes !

All countries have mutual agreements to accept one another’s pilot licences. Pilot licences issued worldwide are accepted in the US and vice versa. Otherwise, international air travel could not exist. It is simply impossible for a pilot to hold a licence in all the countries he is flying to, from and across.

Citizenship and residency are also no factor. A European citizen, who is a resident in Hong Kong can hold a U.S. licence and go fly in South America.

This is a major difference compared to driver’s licences, which are issued in the country of citizenship or residency.

What applies for commercial pilots, also applies for the private pilot, without exception.

U.S. pilot licences are traditionally the most common licences in the world. In many cases, they are even superior to the national licence ( see table ). For example, the U.S. private pilot licence already incorporates the radio licence and night flight rating, while in Europe these are extra ratings which come with a hefty price tag.

Airlines around the world, e.g. Lufthansa, are maintaining their training centers in the U.S. not only for those reasons, but also because of the professional airspace environment, high aviation standards and competitive pricing.

helimutt
23rd Dec 2014, 20:29
It's hard work, rushing through a PPL, but I started mine (non-EASA) a fair few years ago now, on 31st Jan with a trial lesson, returning 4 days later to start the PPL proper. I flew on 16 days and did the GFT on the 7th March. So 36 days total, but only flew on week days when the weather was suitable.
You'd now have to do 5 hrs more than I did but I guess you could do it in 21 days if you were up for it and had completed the exams first so that you could concentrate on the flying. I just studied on the evenings whilst in the B&B I stayed at. :)

Whiskey Hotel
23rd Dec 2014, 20:45
Thanks for the info everyone. I was just hoping for something that I could complete in a short and dedicated period of time in a place where the weather would be favourable for everyday flying. might just go down the regular old fashioned route with my local flight school.

helimutt
23rd Dec 2014, 21:15
it actually doesnt work out that much cheaper going abroad to do it, once you add in accom, travel, food, etc. And it saves having to return home and get checked out to fly your most local machine.

misterbonkers
24th Dec 2014, 08:07
And of course learning in blue sky and sunshine will really prepare you for flying in all conditions...

Relax, take it easy, enjoy it and pace yourself over 12 months.

Dithers
24th Dec 2014, 13:09
Check out Sloane Helicopters Mallorca base.

The weather will definitely be on your side. :ok:

Hughes500
24th Dec 2014, 17:03
Dithers hopefully all that sunshine will make the brain forget you are flying a Robinson

VP-F__
25th Dec 2014, 01:17
I would suggest doing it at Dunkeswell on the Schweizer, if the weather is good you might actually get it done quickly and to a high standard......14 flying days and 39 hours for mine with AH Helicopters.

Whiskey Hotel
25th Dec 2014, 17:57
14 days, that's very good, fair play. Did you find it a struggle or was it ok?

Also, anyone know if there's any reduction in the number of exams when I have an EASA PPL for fixed wing?

VP-F__
26th Dec 2014, 09:28
It was a tall order but the weather was good and instruction excellent :D:ok: I already had a CPL (A) so got a reduction of six hours and did not have to do all the exams. It was all spread over about six weeks in total due to other commitments.

Hughes500
26th Dec 2014, 15:30
VPf

Where have you been ?

helimutt
26th Dec 2014, 17:14
If you hold a PPL (A) then you dont need to do all of the exams again. You'll need to do the helicopter exam as far as i'm aware. The wx isnt different in a helicopter and the same laws apply. (kind of)

Hughes500
26th Dec 2014, 17:40
Have to do 4 exams. Heli general , nav, principles of flight and flight performance and planning

Whiskey Hotel
26th Dec 2014, 18:06
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking at Sloane Mallorca at the moment, they seem to have a great setup and a rock solid reputation. Otherwise, it'll be skywest here in Ireland, as far as I know they are the only heli trainer in ireland.

VP-F__
27th Dec 2014, 11:39
Hi Hughes 500, mostly down south, off to Norway for my IR in a Twin Squirrel next week :)