PDA

View Full Version : SIM instructor Medical requirements?

human pilot
20th Dec 2014, 15:09
Hello

I was wondering, if I need any kind of medical to become a SIM Instructor (full motion Level C/D, Jet-aircraft).

I recently lost my medical and I am on medications that legally prevent me from flying a real airplane.

Now I wanted to know if a medical is needed to instruct on a full motion (Jet) simulator.

Are there any issues with medications (Painkillers)?

Thanks for your advice

HP

nick14
20th Dec 2014, 15:32
Depends on your experience,

If you have 1500hrs MPA you could get an SFI certificate for which you don't even need to hold a licence, just have held a professional licence. What types do you have experience of and what kind of experience?

human pilot
20th Dec 2014, 18:48
hello Nick14

Thank you for the info.

I have a EASA ATPL and 2500 TT.

I should have more or less exactly 1500 MPA.

950 hours on the Bombardier Challenger 605 and 550 hours on the Challenger 300. Both MPA aircraft.

In addition I have some 300 Hours of Multicrew Operations on Cessna Citation 1 and CJ 1. Both single pilot airplanes but flown Multicrew on a European AOC.

I also worked as a PPL flight and ground Instructor and performed IFR training on FNPT 2s, but that's some years ago and FI rating has long expired.

I highly appreciate any further information and inputs.

Thanks

HP

nick14
21st Dec 2014, 19:28
Hiya,

Feel free to PM if you need.

Unfortunately I fear your experience may go against you. Most of the jobs advertised (in my sector) are for heavy jet/TP chaps and generally command experience wanted. You could however look at the big ab inito schools as they may be able to take you on as an MPL instructor where the type experience in the early staged isnt so critical.

Other options are TKI/GI and FI/CRI/IRI.

Rick777
23rd Dec 2014, 15:10
As for medical there is no requirement in the US. Don't know about other places. Sim instructor seems to be a common career option for guys with lost medical. It also helps keep you current if you get a chance to go back to flying.