PDA

View Full Version : Where to from here?

Follytobewise
20th Dec 2014, 04:52
Hi folks,

I am a currently employed vfr single engine charter pilot with no scope for further career progression. I thoroughly enjoy my job, but as I approach 800 hours, I ask myself where to from here? The industry is crawling in terms of pilot movement, will there be an end in sight?

Should I invest my efforts to apply for places such as chart air or hardys that have singles as well as complex twins? The much sought after twin experience has become even harder to obtain in recent times.

Any comments would be appreciated.

mattyj
21st Dec 2014, 05:24
If you back yourself..buy an A320 rating and go to Asia..Australasia's a basket case

Horatio Leafblower
21st Dec 2014, 06:23
Mattyj is onto something.

Yes, hit up those companies that offer a stepping stone up to the twins.

I am seeing a few green shoots of progression around the place so don't lose hope.

Good luck.

Follytobewise
21st Dec 2014, 09:08
How is chartair nowadays btw? Would 800 hours be sufficient to get a shot? Too much to hope for some civilisation once again like Darwin?

I see that Hardy's seems to want wet season exp and local NT knowledge. I don't suppose they would budge on those things.....it also seems as if you need a few moon landings under your belt to look in to Cairns

iPahlot
21st Dec 2014, 21:16
Follytobewise,

Chartair have been quiet but I think things are picking up. 800 should be plenty to at least get an interview. As with any job, the right attitude will get you the job :ok:

Given things are rather quiet now progression is slow. CA have a few guys well over 1,000 hours with over 12 months in the company still waiting for a slot.

Hardys have plenty of guys and girls waiting with resumes in, but you've got to be in it to win it.
NT experience isn't a must, but it will help.

There are also places like Kakair, JFC, Air Frontier and Arafura. All with a mix of singles and twins.

Cairns is more in 1,200 - 1,500 hour ballpark, though some people have gotten in with a lot less.

Has Horatio quite rightly put it, there is some movement starting so hopefully next year will be a little more promising in terms of progression.

Good luck! :ok:

RequestAsymmetrics
22nd Dec 2014, 08:46
Anyone else support the idea of buying a type rating and heading to Asia? I'm guessing that the pay and T&C's would be quite poor, but it would suit a young single looking for a quick(er) command.

kingRB
24th Dec 2014, 12:22
Obvious troll is obvious

slamer.
24th Dec 2014, 20:17
To be honest, those stick and rudder skills will be one of the most useful
tools in your career, regardless where/what you fly.