PDA

View Full Version : Leuchars Stories

Courtney Mil
16th Dec 2014, 09:21
Ladies and Gents,

I received an email from a Lady at St Andres University asking for stories from Leuchars. Please see below. I suggested PPRuNe to her and she has posted in Jet Blast, but I think she'll get better answers here (and, hopefully, nice ones). So I have reposted it here.

I know this has probably come up before, but I also know there are some ripping yarns to be told. Over to you...

Courtney

Original post is at http://www.pprune.org/8783703-post1.html

RAF Leuchars
I am a student at St. Andrews University on the Museum and Gallery course.We are preparing an exhibition ( March 2015) with the heritage officer, at RAF Leuchars, Karen Clayton, to celebrate the " Life on Base" over the past 90 years. The Exhibition is called Balloons to Typhoons.

I wonder if you have any stories that you can remember about life in Leuchars, especially that of the antics that happened with the Cowardly Phantom Welly or anything with the chickens or other mascots kept on base. We are hoping to show the lighter side of life as well as the daily job of defending the realm. Were the initiation pranks fairly standard on base for new crew? Stories of life on base, the parties, the sports etc etc.

Your hopeful

Karen

Courtney Mil
16th Dec 2014, 11:36
Sorry, all. I see KJM's post has now appeared here - usual delay for new members. Best to post replies on her thread. I'll delete this one later.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/552982-raf-leuchars.html

Union Jack
16th Dec 2014, 14:38
I received an email from a Lady at St Andres University

Before you delete this thread, Courtney, I think you've perhaps been in France too long.....;)

Jack

NutLoose
16th Dec 2014, 14:51
c'est l'histoire de l'œuf et de la poule

CoffmanStarter
16th Dec 2014, 15:28
What's a 'W' amongst friends ;)

Union Jack
16th Dec 2014, 15:49
What's a 'W' amongst friends

Probaly depends how it's handled....:suspect:

Fantome
16th Dec 2014, 15:51
écrou libre - je ris comme un drain

Wander00
16th Dec 2014, 16:06
Careful.......W

Fantome
16th Dec 2014, 16:08
Warney at the wicket - "I'm warning you"

Courtney Mil
16th Dec 2014, 16:19
Oh dear. What a anker.

Pontius Navigator
16th Dec 2014, 18:24
Anyway, better here than there.

Once upon a time there was a station commander, not a Scot. . . .
and for ever after he was known as the Scottish Group Captain.

Le Fin

BEagle
16th Dec 2014, 18:28
He wasn't a Scot...

He was - and still is - someone utterly detested, whose name shall never be mentioned in the air defence world.

Anyone mentioning his name will be obliged to buy suitable refreshment for all those who hear such an indiscretion.

:mad:

jonw66
16th Dec 2014, 18:37
Getting to sound a bit like the Scottish Shakespeare play until Beags says he's not Scottish.
Obviously a popular chap.
Best
Jon

snippy
16th Dec 2014, 18:44
Anyone care to repeat/ find the 1970's AOC parade, the SWO and bicycle clips story....I howled at that one.

Wander00
16th Dec 2014, 21:27
And I remember his as a cadet at the Towers, and he never improved

Always a Sapper
16th Dec 2014, 21:42
The day the Fire Section put the roast potatos (still in the pan of cooking oil) under the grill to keep warm, retired to tv room and the footy.... :=

Then forgot all about it until the smoke, flames and alarm kicked off.... :E

New cooker & kitchen from Works Flight and after it made the Sun more 'Fire Prevention' leaflets, offers of fire prevention course's, smoke alarms etc than the posty was happy humping to the post room from Fire Stations across the UK.... :D

I have no idea how the secret got out, honest.... :ok:

ricardian
16th Dec 2014, 21:52
Not quite as embarassing as this little blaze (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1183709/Blaze-leaves-1-3m-trail-destruction--firemens-college-sprinklers.html)

Pontius Navigator
17th Dec 2014, 06:30
Looking at Ricardian' s link I thought at first married quarter curtains.