PDA

View Full Version : How to fly an Airbus ?

A.FLOOR
2nd Jun 2002, 11:41
I have just started an A330 conversion after having flown boeing my whole life and most recently the B767.

Are there any tips on how to get used to the sidestick?

What is the best way of achieving accurate control while getting used to letting go the stick go after u have made an input

Thanks to all those who reply

RadarContact
2nd Jun 2002, 15:51
A good technique, I find, is not to simply let the controls go when you have reached your target pitch/bank, but to smoothely "lead out" (sorry if that's the wrong term) the input.
Also try to get to know the minimum input threshold at which the first signals are transferred to the control surfaces and try to operate as closely as possible to those when doing fine tuning.

The one disadvantage of todays sidesticks is the lack of feedback from the control surfaces. You don't get any idea of the pressure the surfaces are working against. And you only get to see the effects of gusts or wind changes on final instead of feeling the wind changes themselves. That always makes it reacting instead of acting...

SKYYACHT
2nd Jun 2002, 15:58
When I am training crews during conversion, I suggest that imagining you are Princess Anne, holding a tramps D**k whilst manipulating the sidestick ...that seems to give the required imaginary picture to prevent overcontrolling and the subsequent PIOs.....Tacky I know - but it does seem to work....I seem to remember my old CFI saying just the same thing to me many moons ago, and it seems to have stuck! It also gives the crew a laugh, which relieves the tensions too!

Scallywag
3rd Jun 2002, 13:55
A.Floor I think radar has summed it up nicely....especially the bit about "lead out" that is important for smooth flying. You'll find it very intuitive and accurate with either hand. Enjoy :)