PDA

View Full Version : Leuchars diversion

Finningley Boy
14th Dec 2014, 07:05
Temporary return as Typhoons are diverted to RAF Leuchars - Fife / Local / News / The Courier (http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/temporary-return-as-typhoons-are-diverted-to-raf-leuchars-1.734896)

When one imagines that the whole idea of SDSR was to leave a single military runway north of the border, its seems as well that pragmatic thinking prevailed but it does prompt the question why, as not weather related, the Typhoons didn't divert to Kinloss which, I understand, is retained and operated under the same circumstances.:confused:

FB:)

bakseetblatherer
14th Dec 2014, 07:57
St A's is a much better night out than Elgin

Darvan
14th Dec 2014, 08:18
If the cross wind was out of limits for Rwy 10/28 at Lossiemouth, then it was probably out of limits for Kinloss (Rwy 26, if my memory serves well).

Finningley Boy
14th Dec 2014, 08:57
If the cross wind was out of limits for Rwy 10/28 at Lossiemouth, then it was probably out of limits for Kinloss (Rwy 26, if my memory serves well).

So a weather related diversion then, very possible, but the report suggests a braking problem?

Backseetblatherer,

All the more reason to puzzle over how the R.A.F. came to concentrate on Lossiemouth instead in the first place? The argument over the local economy in Moray could have been answered by moving the Army there?!

gamecock
14th Dec 2014, 11:29
An emergency and a weather-related issue, so fairly unusual:

http://http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=107806&view=unread#unread (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=107806&view=unread#unread)

BOAC
14th Dec 2014, 14:08
11 Typhoons divert - cripes - that's pretty much the RAF:sad:

gr4techie
14th Dec 2014, 15:31
If the cross wind was out of limits for Rwy 10/28 at Lossiemouth

I thought Lossie had a second runway, 05/23

Biggus
14th Dec 2014, 15:45
If you actually read the article the OP provided a link to then you will find the answer to your question!

gr4techie
14th Dec 2014, 18:25
My apologises. I thought it was just weather related and did not know another ac had taken the RHAG.

Skeleton
14th Dec 2014, 22:49
GR4 other way round main is 23/05, short is 10/28. If Leuchars wasn't available where next? I am guessing Prestwick / Edinburgh. Sorry state of affairs.

Finningley Boy
15th Dec 2014, 10:32
Loosely connected,

In the Daily Mail today, Michael Fallon is reported commenting about his concerns that recent incursions by Russian military aircraft into UK airspace, could spark either the downing of a passenger aircraft accidentally or war between NATO and Russian Forces. According to the article, 100 scrambles to intercept Russian aircraft by the R.A.F. just this year have been recorded. But it makes me think, this is simply getting near the same level which was reached during the period from the late 1960s to the end of the 1980s? I don't recall any such wringing of hands or sabre rattling by any Defence Secretary then? Has Fallon, who recently acknowledged his lack of depth on Defence related matters prior to taking office, not at least been briefed on relative and recent history regarding the pattern of Soviet and now Russian behaviour? It might be a good idea before he goes on squaring up to Putin quite so directly.:uhoh:

BOAC
15th Dec 2014, 11:03
It's called 'there's an election coming'. Whether we got to 100 a year in my time I don't know - probably close. I think HMG is paying peanuts.:)

Finningley Boy
15th Dec 2014, 11:14
BOAC,

The figures in the good old days always varied, you may recall that the Leuchars peple, in particular 43 Squadron when Boltholed to Kinloss during 1979, were kept very busy, they had their own unofficial but much prized Badge invented, the "10 Bear".

But at the risk of self plugging, this and plenty more in Northern Q by your's Truly due out in February.:ok:

Wyler
15th Dec 2014, 13:08
There are no incursions into UK airspace. The Russians fly in International Airspace.
Good old Journo's...:rolleyes::ugh:

BOAC
15th Dec 2014, 13:50
They have been known to, in history. 23 Sqn's Badger in the Firth of Forth?