PDA

View Full Version : EASA IR-Check on VFR-Helo? (Hooded Flight)

hueyracer
11th Dec 2014, 18:00
I am looking for a reference for the following scenario:

Is it possible to conduct an IR-recurrency flight (renewal of IR-rating) on a VFR-helicopter in VFR-conditions (hooded flight)?

If yes: Where can this case be found?

ersa
12th Dec 2014, 03:46
I have looked at this in the pass, i fired off a few emails, all said no

evil7
12th Dec 2014, 10:15
I wonder how you would do an IFR check on a "VFR eqipped" helicopter?? Aren´t there some instuments missing??

Then again - why not do an IFR check in best VFR conditions? As long as the helicopter is equipped for IFR and your flight is under IFR rules?
:E:ok:

hueyracer
12th Dec 2014, 10:19
Some operators have IFR-equipped helicopters-but only operate them under VFR-conditions……therefore they do not have an IR-registered machine..

This machines can operate in VMC, and in my opinion can easily fly VMC but hodded….and do the Precision and Non-Precision approach as well as a hold…

The question is:
Where is it written down?

homonculus
12th Dec 2014, 10:25
There have been a number of IR trainers. I did a lot of my IR training under JAR on a 206. Being single engine it had to be under the hood in VMC. However the CAA insisted on any test being on an IR certified machine. The logic defies me and I would be interested if this were revisited under EASA

sherpa
16th Dec 2014, 07:49
For IR training, is it possible and legal to file an IFR flight plan in an IFR equipped (not IFR certified) Helicopter in VMC conditions?

For excample; partice multiple approaches on a clear day?!?

:confused:

Jet Ranger
16th Dec 2014, 08:15
Yes, it s possible (and legal).

JR

RVDT
16th Dec 2014, 08:28
FAA Angle:

5-439 USE OF AIRCRAFT NOT APPROVED FOR IFR OPERATIONS UNDER ITS TYPE CERTIFICATE FOR INSTRUMENT TRAINING AND/OR AIRMAN CERTIFICATION TESTING. The following paragraphs are intended to clarify the use of an aircraft not approved for IFR operations under its type certificate for instrument flight training and/or airman certification testing.

A. IFR Training in Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC). Instrument flight training may be conducted during VMC in any aircraft that meets the equipment requirements of part 91, §§ 91.109, 91.205, and, for an airplane operated in controlled airspace under the IFR system, §§ 91.411 and 91.413. An aircraft may be operated on an IFR flight plan under IFR in VMC, provided the PIC is properly certificated to operate the aircraft under IFR. However, if the aircraft is not approved for IFR operations under its type certificate, or if the appropriate instruments and equipment are not installed or are not operative, operations in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC) are prohibited. The PIC of such an aircraft must cancel the IFR flight plan in use and avoid flight into IMC.

EASA:

???

sherpa
16th Dec 2014, 17:04
@RVDT …thanks

Anyone in the know where I can find such a clarification for EASA land?? I wish the rule makers would simple copy the FAR/AIM instead of reinventing the wheel. :confused:

MichiScholz
16th Dec 2014, 19:34
The easa rules can be found here:

EUR-Lex - 32011R1178 - EN - EUR-Lex (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/DE/TXT/?uri=celex:32011R1178)

the rules say at least 10 hours during initial integrated IR(h)