PDA

View Full Version : US Navy Laser Weapon

HTB
11th Dec 2014, 14:51
Have I missed something, or is this new?

Video: US Navy tests $40 million laser weapon in Persian Gulf - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11287008/US-Navy-tests-40-million-laser-weapon-in-Persian-Gulf.html)

Mister B

Lonewolf_50
11th Dec 2014, 15:04
I will suggest to you that this item was tested quite a bit before it ever got over to the PG.

Suggest that this open "test" is a message being sent to some people in the region. ;)

It may also be a marketing ploy to get certain allies to buy these things?
Not sure.

HTB
11th Dec 2014, 15:17
Thanks LW50

I know the concept has been around for some time - this sort of thing was being mooted at an RAF Weapons Employment Course that I attended in the mid-1980s (but not as a viable airborne weapon system because of the weight of electrical generating kit required to power the beast).

Agreeing your comments fully - I meant was the video new; from the delivery platform, it looks fairly recent.

Mister B

beardy
11th Dec 2014, 15:29
Makes smoke screens seem pretty low tech.

Stuff
11th Dec 2014, 15:31
When I read the article and it said, "The video, released by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), shows the LaWS system detonating a rocket propelled grenade" I was imagining it destroying it in flight and was standing-by to be very impressed.

Instead it destroyed one being towed at 5-10kts. :\:uhoh:

Even the UAV kill was mostly head sector with very little spin rate.

Further lazy journalism - "burning out the engine" and "burns out the hull". Neither of these things happen.

Nice toy though...

Fat Magpie
11th Dec 2014, 15:53
Ze Germans have this for a yr or so

BBC News - Rheinmetall demos laser that can shoot down drones (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-20944726)

AreOut
11th Dec 2014, 20:13
it's useful against small objects, I guess israeli might be interested to take down hamas rockets with them, should be more efficient than iron dome