PDA

View Full Version : A320 Battery Fault

Citation2
11th Dec 2014, 10:09
Can anyone shed light on this?

On A320 , Elec: BAT 1(2) FAULT

Fuel consumption increased
FMS PRED UNRELIABLE

Why does the fuel consumption increase with a battery fault?
Why there is no fuel penalty factor in the QRH regarding this failure?

Thanks

lurkio
11th Dec 2014, 10:29
Hi Citation2.

In our FCOM this note for the particular fault only appears for recent MSNs (5318, 5592-6267).

The level 2 note says

FUEL CONSUMPT INCRSD
This message is triggered when the failure (or combination of failures) affects the nominal aerodynamic characteristics of the aircraft.

FMS PRED UNRELIABLE
Disregard FMS fuel predictions and refer to QRH/PER-B Fuel Penalty Factors Tables in order to find the applicable Fuel Penalty Factor.

I guess that means you have to check through your sys pages on ECAM and ascertain which bits have been affected (spoilers/ailerons etc) and then apply the relevant factor from the tables in the QRH. As you say, even for one of the MSNs mentioned I cannot find a penalty referenced back to the Bat Fault.

Best of luck.

Togue
11th Dec 2014, 20:10
My FCOM only states that:

"Battery contactor is automatically opened by battery charge limiter" and "Crew awareness" is required. Besides "APU BAT START NOT AVAIL" message on STATUS.

Citation2
15th Dec 2014, 12:28
Any Airbus experts , or engineers to clarify why a battery fault would lead to a fuel consumption increase, on new MSNs ?
If it happened, I would like to know why and what is the fuel penalty factor to be applied?

tubby linton
16th Dec 2014, 08:53
In my company's fcom it applies to A320 with CFM and A321 with IAE

Superpilot
16th Dec 2014, 09:15
According to the QRHs for our fleet, this appears to be the case only for A320s with CFMs (MSN 800-900 in our fleet). We have IAEs of a similar age, they don't have this entry.

Went through the FCOM couldn't find anything. The following is just a guess. In the case of flight on batteries only you will notice that the engine anti-ice valves are automatically open (increased fuel consumption). I wonder if the same thing is done just incase the faulty battery problem develops into something more serious. If further electrical systems were lost, could we guarantee the ability to select engine anti-ice after the event?

TyroPicard
18th Dec 2014, 00:27
Superpilot
The A320 is just like all the other airliners I have flown... without electrics the engine anti-ice valves are open, with electrics they are held closed until you switch them on.....

Superpilot
18th Dec 2014, 08:11
Thanks for that info. It makes sense however I don't see this from looking at the electrical systems architecture diagrams.

Citation2
18th Dec 2014, 12:34
Engine anti-ice would be left open in case of total loss of electrical network. This is not the case in BAT 1(2) Fault.
Suprisingly if you switch OFF the batterie(s) manually , battery contactors are disconnected , and nothing happen in terms of fuel consumption, FCOM says :

"Battery is abnormally selected off.

Crew awareness.

STATUS APU BAT START NOT AVAIL"

But in case of deficiencies in the battery , BCL still disconnect the batteries contactors , but in that case:

Elec: BAT1(2) fault

Battery contactor is opened automatically by battery charge limiter.

Crew awareness. FUEL CONSUMPT INCRSD FMS PRED UNRELIABLE

STATUS APU BAT START NOT AVAIL FUEL CONSUMPT INCRSD See (1)

FMS PRED UNRELIABLE

turn and slip
18th Dec 2014, 16:25
switching the bats off is a different scenario ,
the outcome may appear the same .. the bats are disconnected from the bat bus ,

but in the bat 1 (2) fault scenario the system has detected a thermal runaway in the battery and obviously in that situation you could very shortly loose the hot bat bus for whichever bat is failing ,

hot bat bus feeds back up dc to secs ,elacs and adirus ,

hence i suspect this is the avenue to influence the comment

FUEL CONSUMPT INCRSD
This message is triggered when the failure (or combination of failures) affects the nominal aerodynamic characteristics of the aircraft.

i will try and dig a bit deeper in the manuals to explain any change in flight characteristics with loss of back up dc power , but dont expect a quick answer as im busy with fixing the things .

Citation2
19th Dec 2014, 11:18
Thanks for that

Superpilot
19th Dec 2014, 13:21
turn and slip,

Why only CFM though? I wouldn't have expected flight computer related degradations to be associated with engine type.

CMpilot1
20th Dec 2014, 05:22
STATUS APU BAT START NOT AVAIL". Could someone shed some light on this...Does this mean that APU start is not available at all? An explanation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

vilas
20th Dec 2014, 08:09
If batteries are not connected to DC BAT BUS for whatever reasons APU cannot be started.

tubby linton
20th Dec 2014, 21:50
There is a penalty for DC Ess bus,and the fuel critical inop sys is spoiler 3. DcEss is powered through the DC Bat bus .I wonder if this is what the note refers to?

Superpilot
7th Jan 2015, 09:02
I found the following in PRO-SPO-40-50, ABN and EMER Procedures:

Electrical Emergency Configuration

Engine Anti-ice

Engine anti-ice valves are permanently open, although the ECAM memo ENG A.ICE is not displayed on the ECAM (except if the ENG A. ICE pb is at ON).

This confirms what tyropicard said and whilst it's not discussed in the context of the condition you've described, it highlights that there are situations where engine anti-ice can be on but without the relevant status or message to inform the crew. "Increased fuel consumption" is most probably sensed by another means (not the engine anti-ice pb).

lurkio
8th Jan 2015, 10:37
Done a bit more checking and this only applies to the newer sharklet fitted A320s not to the ordinary ones or A319s.

For ELEC BAT 1(2) FAULT there are no FC actions but the bat contactor opens automatically. If, however, you manually switch off the batt then the extra line about extra fuel consumption does not appear.

In our aircraft TR1 powers DC1, DC BAT BUS and DC ESS, TR2 powers DC2.

Eng A/I VLV 1 is powered from DC1 and VLV 2 from DC2 so it would appear that is not the source of extra consumption as they will still be powered closed even if Bat 1 (2) is disconnected.

I have scoured the electrical supply sections of FCOM and cannot find anything apart from one EIU and one FADEC channel powered by Hot bus 1 or 2. That doesn't mean there is nothing else it is just we are not worthy of the information.

I will try to get an answer from one of our exceedingly helpful engineers but our paths will have to cross to do that so standby.

turn and slip
16th Jan 2015, 10:50
Hello again all ,

For anyone who hasn't had access to this , Airbus safety first magazine Jan 2012 issue 13 , has some background information on fuel penalty factor which may be of some interest.

Airbus Safety First Magazine (http://www.ukfsc.co.uk/information/safety-briefings-presentations/335-airbus-safety-first-magazine)

lurkio
16th Jan 2015, 19:17
OK the boffins have replied and the answer to the Batt fault (everyone remember that?) is

If you have an ELEC BATT fault, you can lose the ELAC roll channel and the SEC’s take over. Roll is now controlled by the spoilers, increasing drag, increasing fuel consumption.

Apparently it is for all S/Ns.

That's all there is to it. Simple isn't it..

Now I have to go lie down for a while.

tubby linton
16th Jan 2015, 20:09
Lurkio, I think the article referenced by Turn and Slip provides a better explanation.
It states that the two causes of increased consumption caused by increasing drag are failures affecting the landing gear or landing gear doors, or failures affecting the flight control surfaces.

it elaborates on this last point-
Three specific flight control configurations create a differing amount of drag
1-The surface is blocked in the fully deflected position.
2-The surface is free and floats in the wind
3-The surface(spoilers only) slowly extends over time.(floats). This can be caused by a hydraulic or electrical failure.

DC Ess bus (spoiler3) is powered from DC Bat bus and hence from BAT1 and I think from reading the footnotes that this spoiler will float when it is no longer electrically supplied , leading to a corresponding increase in fuel consumption.

LEVEL600
16th Jan 2015, 20:55
All spoilers with no electrical control are automatically locked by hydraulic pressure in fully closed position. It is absolutely same configuration like for spoiler deactivated for MEL. I'll try to find the logic for this message tomorow in documentation.

tubby linton
16th Jan 2015, 21:10
Level600 the article states that depending on the condition of the spoiler servo control, the anti-extension device could be sensitive to temperature variations or prone to actuator leak. In that case the spoiler may not remain retracted and may extend over tine up to its zero hinge moment position.
http://www.ukfsc.co.uk/files/Safety%20Briefings%20_%20Presentations/Airbus%20Safety%20First%20Mag%20-%20Jan%202012.pdf

lurkio
16th Jan 2015, 21:25
All I am doing is relaying what my line engineers tell me. They were given the info by head office who in turn got it from Airbus following my query. Use or disregard at your leisure.

turn and slip
17th Jan 2015, 02:21
As previously posted , a bat fault message is indicative of the bcl seeing a thermal runaway or short with the battery , at this point the battery is disconnected from the bat bus .
Although this situation is not good I can see and assumed no other effect on the electrical system apart from the likely imminent failure of the hot bat buss pertaining to the failing battery.
I briefly pointed out that the hot bat bus feeds back up dc to elacs and secs and adirus .
Considering superpilots question re anti ice and v25 cfm I dismissed the anti ice scenario due to the assumption the power had not failed to the valves so therefore no change there,
I gave some thought to the way the different eec handled the loss of px or temp inputs causing the engine to be shall we say less frugal ..
but..

FUEL CONSUMPT INCRSD

That statement alludes to an aerodynamic change as the root cause,,

FMS PRED UNRELIABLE
Disregard FMS fuel predictions and refer to QRH/PER-B Fuel Penalty Factors Tables in order to find the applicable Fuel Penalty Factor.

This and the article I posted refer to the fms prediction being calculated by fixed values and not actuality's , basically stated,, rubbish in rubbish out.

Lurkio I felt your statement in answer 2 summed it all up really well ,, ie have a look see if anything is failed and apply any factors from the fpf tables ,

As to why .......
I am very very surprised to hear that loss of a hot battery bus will lead to double elac roll loss but if that really is an airbus reply so be it , personally I would have thought double elac roll loss would have concentrated your minds a lot more on other matters than working out a change in fuel consumption .

One thing I feel is correct however is it will be an airbus answer

I have looked through all the manuals and bulletins I have and can find not much about it , But if anyone want to point me in any direction not considered I can only try , it is very difficult to make a qualified statement on any components behaviour with a partial failure as quoted and subsequent circuit effects and I don't think the answer will be in any maintenance manual troubleshooting manual etc etc ..
All very interesting though,,

LEVEL600
17th Jan 2015, 06:47
Airbus says in ECAM logic:
A
BAT 1 (2) FAULT

STATUS

FUEL CONSUPTION INCRSD
FMS PRED UNRELIABLE

displayed under conditions:

IF BAT 1 FAULT AND ELEC DC ESS BUS NO
VOLTAGE AND ONE SERVO AILERON CONTROLLED
BY ELAC 2 IS INOPERATIVE
OR
IF BAT 2 FAULT AND ELEC DC BUS 2 NO VOLTAGE AND
ONE SERVO AILERON CONTROLLED BY ELAC 2
IS INOPERATIVE.

LEVEL600
17th Jan 2015, 07:56
So I think this message can be only generated if one of ailerons actuator is faulty (in MEL or during flight) and remaining ELAC loses his supply both from BAT and own DC BUS. In such case can aileron float and produce additional drag. It is my first idea, not supported by deep study. Btw, I want to thank everyone for a very professional and helpful posts in this thread.

lurkio
17th Jan 2015, 08:27
Level600 et al. It does show that us poor pilots are presented with one line on ECAM and the further effects are much greater than it seems. It would appear from your previous post that in fact to get a fuel consumption increase we need more than the straightforward BAT FAULT we also need no voltage on the DC ESS BUS, not a good day at the office.

Good discussion nevertheless. This is a great way of furthering ones knowledge and making us dig further.