PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying headsets

Aeronavigant
1st Jun 2002, 22:59
Hello All,

I would like to buy a pair of headsets and would like advice and recommendations as to the best buys, quality, brands and places to get them.
I plan to use them for Piston/Turbo-prop flying.

Many Thanks

PS: Also interested on best buys with Active Noise Reduction (ANR).

tacpot
2nd Jun 2002, 14:37
I bought a Pilot DNC 17-76 headset 12 months ago that I am still very pleased with. It is light, comfortable, and gives good noise reduction with or without the ANR switched on. Battery life is also very good.

Fokkerboy
3rd Jun 2002, 00:37
I reccomend Pilot Communications PA 17-79 DNC XL. I bought a set cheaply on Ebay, USD240 and they are truly the best I have tried. Better specs and more comfy than David Clarks. It looks a bit crappy but you can get an optional metal brace and gel pads wich makes it a tad more pro.

pigboat
3rd Jun 2002, 03:34
http://www.peltoraviation.com/
Can't beat 'em. Lighter than DC, and more comfortable than Telex or Pilot.

HugMonster
3rd Jun 2002, 08:48
Just about impossible to beat David Clarks.

The H10-13.4 is very, very comfortable, unsurpassed noise attenuation, and DC reliability is very very good indeed. People have reported on PPRuNe that DC have repaired headsets on the few occasions they broke down free of charge, even when outside warranty.

There are many cheaper copies out there. Forget 'em.

redsnail
3rd Jun 2002, 11:51
I've used David Clark 10-20's for about 15 years. Tough and dependable. Also field repairable. All I have done is replaced original seals with gel ones and put cloth covers on them.
They are "uncomfortable" initially but they are adjustable. Just adjust one thing at a time and viola.
ANR? I just use either 1/2 an ear plug or a whole one if in the islander per ear. Works a treat and don't have to worry about batteries.
If you are going to be using headsets in a tough harsh environment I wouldn't look at any thing else.
They last.

tomcs
3rd Jun 2002, 18:36
I have to recommend the Peltor 8006's they are excellent. Very comfortable right from the start and hardly weigh a thing! And also much cheaper (£130) and the quality is excellent!

Tom

spudskier
3rd Jun 2002, 23:51
I bought a pair of Lightspeed 15XL, sooooooo comfy and the ANR works extremely well! (I fly Cessna 152 or 172). I got em flor a little over $300 at flightstore.com ??? maybe wrong web site. But REALLY good headsets. My instructor complains about his David Clarks hurting after a while.

I believe it was Flight magazine that did an article on LightSpeeds, all raves!