PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Going To Avalon 2015?

Sunfish
6th Dec 2014, 23:18
After the last disappointing show, is there likely to be any worthwhile reason for a private pilot of bug smashers to go to Avalon next year unless you are a plane spotter?

djpil
6th Dec 2014, 23:24
I only go to see people so the planes and displays are largely irrelevant.

Squawk7700
6th Dec 2014, 23:27
You're not wrong there at all DJ. It's like going to the boat show or even Oshkosh. You can wander around, take a look at things and be done in a few hours, but it's only when you start to talk to people and meet new people it really starts to get interesting. Then when you go back the next you meet those people again and away you go.

Last Avalon was far from disappointing.

gassed budgie
7th Dec 2014, 02:59
After the last disappointing show, is there likely to be any worthwhile reason for a private pilot of bug smashers to go to Avalon next year unless you are a plane spotter?

I wouldn't have thought so Sunny. The only thing that I was interested in seeing in 2013 was the F-22, but in the end I couldn't even be bothered dragging myself along to see that. If it shows this time maybe I'll make the effort to get there as its been six years I think since I've ventured to YMAV for the show. Really interested to see what should be RAAF's next fighter.

.....and if I have to land over at Avalon fcuking east, I'm going to chuck a hissy fit, stamp my feet and not go. So there.

Lookleft
7th Dec 2014, 03:03
I hope they get the parking sorted. It took an hour coming from Lara before you even got into the car park by which time the airshow had already started. Maybe they could have a pre-paid parking entrance so you just have to get a barcode scanned. or have a sticker on the windscreen so you just get waved through?

sms777
7th Dec 2014, 06:08
I don't know all this bitching and moaning about getting there. Leave your stupid car at home and catch a train. I did that and I had a pleasent ride, got off, got on the shuttle bus, got dropped off at the entrance on time....all good. Leaving the same way, no problems. As for the show.....was not worth it.
But I am a sucker for punishment so.....I will do it again.

ACMS
7th Dec 2014, 06:57
They've got a few good things planned for the show. :ok:

Agreed, take the train.

Squawk7700
7th Dec 2014, 07:37
Fly in there, piece of cake into Avalon east and made easy with the buses. Have never had issues going in other than a bit of a delay once as it was wet, but it opened up soon after.

jas24zzk
7th Dec 2014, 10:33
I'm with Squawk!

Been there a number of times...tried most methods of entry...Car, Bus, Organised bus tour, train, and flying into YAVE

YAVE takes the cake by a LONG shot. Yes its busy, but a thorough read of the docs make it almost seamless...if you are struggling to comprehend, a short group read makes short work of it. IF you get it wrong, the controllers don't kill you for it, the simply accomodate you and help you make it work. BIG thumbs up to those guys. :ok::ok::ok::ok: (its easier for them to steer you right than it is to lambast you over the radio)

The ground marshalls, are a little hit and miss, but they all have the greatest of intentions. If you get it parked slightly wrong, they'll just help you push it and move along to the next plane without complaints....most of the marshalls are plane spotters at heart, they do a good job.

The Transit buses.....great system.. seen em try to re-invent it a few times, but they've never made it better or worse, its simply something else in the whole YAVE thing that just works....also most of the drivers are plane spotters as well.

CASA FOI's at YAVE.....well a leopard doesn't change its spots. Just have your paperwork in order (NOT hard) and they will be onto the next plane quick as mustard. I did find them useful my first trip in, when it came to leave. Was reading the docs again to make sure I wasn't gunna stuff up..had a question, found one doing the usual amount of public service work and put her to good use.

There is NOTHING negative about flying into Avalon East....unless you think 4 hours in traffic each way is relaxing.

See ya there

Jas

Jabawocky
7th Dec 2014, 10:42
Last time had plenty for the bugsmasher pilot through F22 pilot or wannabe.

There is some good stuff especially for those into history…. :oh: not sure what to say :oh:

Might have to fly in again.

Global Aviator
7th Dec 2014, 10:44
Am I missing something -

AVALON 2015 - AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL AIRSHOW AND AEROSPACE & DEFENCE EXPOSITION - 24 February to 1 March 2015 GEELONG VICTORIA (http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/TRADE/trade-visitors/trade-days-provisional-flying-display-program.asp)

Why is there no program
Published yet, or have I been looking in the wrong spot?

Did Oshkosh by gosh nothing will ever compare, but looking forward to first Avalon in many years.

Reading this I think I'll be grabbing a flying ride!

Cheerio!

Squawk7700
7th Dec 2014, 12:09
Good idea Jabba, come on down.... You can use the fuel that you saved this weekend by not flying to Melbourne due to the less than perfect weather all the way. Everything into SSY tonight delayed significantly, suspect a few will be pushing curfew. The weather is usually good nationally around Avalon time.

PinkusDickus
8th Dec 2014, 00:36
Been twice and wouldn't go again if you paid me to.

I found it difficult to get in and out with a car (on an exhibitor's pass), and the time I flew there the cow paddock (AKA Avalon West) in use for light aircraft was as rough as guts, and in a summary, a complete waste of time. :ugh:

ACMS
8th Dec 2014, 00:56
The Cow paddock as you call it is AVALON EAST. Not west and you can't blame the organizers for rain.

Nor can you blame the organizers for severely limiting the movements for non Airshow involved Aircraft at Avalon main. With Jetstar and other scheduled movements plus the show it tends to be a bit busy PLUS there isn't much parking available on hard stands.

Chill.

Squawk7700
8th Dec 2014, 03:36
That's half the fun at Avalon East, you have to try and land where the 37 Chieftains before you, didn't :-)

Sadly Jetstar has very few arrivals and departures these days.

peterc005
8th Dec 2014, 04:53
Always thought Avalon east was pretty decent for a grass landing area. Well organised with very capable Marshalls I thought.

The biggest pain is the long walk across to the Airshow.

Squawk7700
8th Dec 2014, 05:15
Except for the free regular shuttle bus :ok:

outofwhack
8th Dec 2014, 12:31
For those needing a really powerful injection of aviation enthusiasm - go to Oshkosh next year. You will need all seven days to see half of it. It is jaw-dropping to anyone with a bit of aviation interest!

yr wrong
8th Dec 2014, 23:11
Anyone that has been to an airshow anywhere else in the world will realise just how substandard Avalon is. It is not the acts themselves, it is the dictatorial attitude of the 'airshow boss' or the 'ringmaster' that ensure you have acts separated by 30 to 40 minutes. Why? If you attend Oshkosh you will see 4 to 5 acts at any one time, separated by altitude. Not that hard.

Fly into Oshkosh in your own aircraft. You will wonder why you were so anxious prior to doing it. It is an ego free zone, incredibly professional yet incredibly friendly.

Driving into the Avalon Airshow, 2 to 3 hours, come on, driven into Oshkosh? 100,000 people driving in for the bigger days and you can be on the flight line in 30 to 40 minutes.

I'll be going but I certainly wouldn't be if I was paying to get in.

aroa
9th Dec 2014, 01:18
there is supposed to be a big contingent of WW1 replicas at Avalon next year?
See AOPA Pilot mag. :ok:
Sounds good to me.
alas the tyranny of distance....:mad:
Certainly would be worth a look

yr wrong
9th Dec 2014, 01:55
Yes, free ticket, got to talk to a man about a dog! Well, it's not a dog but a high performance aerobatic aircraft.

Sunfish
9th Dec 2014, 07:26
I wont be going this time. Even if I was going, I certainly won't be flying in anyway because I suspect CASA will redouble its ramp check bastardry as a response to the Truss review.

There was nothing last time of any interest for GA and RAA pilots. The Garmin guys I saw could have sold me some GTN stuff on the day if they had been interested in actually selling.

The only high point for me was the surreal experience of not actually just looking at, but walking inside and under and actually touching a B52, but that was on a trade day.

peterc005
9th Dec 2014, 09:14
I've flown into Avalon East a couple of times and have never been ramp checked.

Am I missing something?

Squawk7700
9th Dec 2014, 10:15
They generally ramp the commercial guys but the odd private guy has been ramped at East.

HarleyD
10th Dec 2014, 00:46
I have been to every Avalon.

Great team of volunteer marshalls and drivers etc, super helpful, as good as anywhere in the world.

I will be going again in 2015, every day. its great. Its the best show within several thousand miles. Lots and lots of planes of all shapes and sizes, old friends, new ones, a few beers in the evening then sleep and repeat. Problem?

Comparing AV to OSH or Farnborough, Paris or Moscow (or even Beijing) is hardly fair, its the biggest and best in the region, but hardly comparable in sheer scale, resources and military industry money. OSH has no Military its an enthusiasts show, Farnborough and the others are Civil/Military and have little in the way of GA, no recreational/vintage etc. There is no one size fits all.

For anyone living in Vic NSW, SA or even S QLD it is easy and relatively cheap to attend Avalon and get a good exposure to an excellent cross section of GA, Vintage, Recreational, Military and Airline aviation for a day or a week. Take sunscreen and a raincoat, you'll likely need both.

If you don't like it, don't go, we won't miss your complaining.

If you have tons of readies and dont like Avalon, go wherever you want, but Avalon is what it is, and it is quite good really.

Bring it on woot woot!

HD

Possum1
10th Dec 2014, 01:14
Yes Sunfish. I enjoyed seeing the B-52 up close as well. I remember standing in the bomb bay and imagining Slim Pickens riding the bomb down to the start of WW3 in Dr Strangelove.

I mentioned this to people and crew beside me and got blank stares. Maybe I'm getting old and it is too much to expect Gen Xs and Ys to sit through a movie in black and white!

Anyhow, I enjoyed Avalon and will again this year. Flying is supposed to be fun!

ACMS
10th Dec 2014, 01:39
HarleyD----good on ya mate, nice to read something positive in here for a change.

Enjoy the show, my friends running it ( yes actually running it ) appreciate your thoughts for all their hard work.

PinkusDickus
10th Dec 2014, 01:53
The Cow paddock as you call it is AVALON EAST. Not west and you can't blame the organizers for rain.

You're welcome (try and) to correct me, but when I flew in to Avalon there was an EASTERN cow paddock AND a WESTERN cow paddock. Perhaps you should read my post and tell me where I'd mentioned rain and blamed the organisers?

I vividly recall how hot it was and how little shade was available.

yr wrong
10th Dec 2014, 02:22
There will be some nice experimentals from what I hear?

HarleyD
10th Dec 2014, 03:13
ACMS - am friends with most of the organizers and airshow team, they do an awesome job in trying conditions, it's organized pandemonium up there most of the time.

I have been air display organizer - display supervisor at about 20 airshows over the years and its not near as simple as some here like to pontificate on, especially a week long effort like AV.

Cheers

Username here
10th Dec 2014, 05:37
All this panic about getting ramped...

I don't worry about getting arrested by the police every time I leave my house - because I don't commit crimes...

If you're flying within the regs... Why are you worried!?!?

ACMS
10th Dec 2014, 07:14
Pinkdick-----in 2011 light Aircraft of the more modern kind were using Avalon East YAVE, some lucky ones used Avalon main YMAV and a few old things like Tiger months old warbirds from WW1 used a small grass strip next to the main runway called Avalon West.

In 2013 Avalon West wasn't setup or used. Nothing mentioned about it in the AIP SUPP H11-13 at all. It wasn't done then......only YAVE Avalon East was used but it was badly effected by rain in the weeks prior to the show and become soft and bumpy during use.

If you did use West in 2011 and it was as bad as you say it was probably the reason why they didn't use it again for 2013?

cattletruck
10th Dec 2014, 10:01
Guess I've been lucky, I've always found something or someone really interesting to talk to over the years, from FJs doing the actual drawcard displays, to air tanker drivers with some ripping yarns to tell, to corporate jet salesmen giving me a tour inside their products. 2013 was looking to be a little dissapointing (weather wasn't kind) until Polair rocked up with their wares, thanks guys :ok:.

Bring it on I say.

yr wrong
10th Dec 2014, 19:52
Harley D & ACMS, whilst it's great you're supporting your mates, do your mates listen to feedback from the performers? (the acts the punters come to see). I've got a couple of mates that I've ground crewed for both here and overseas, and...........well, the difference is notable.

I'm not going to get into public criticisms or O/S comparisons but it'd be interesting to know if the main 'players' running the show give a toss about improving the way things run behind the scenes?

TheNightOwl
11th Dec 2014, 03:28
2013 was the first time I missed YMAV, and I won't be going back unless there is a programmed event I'd like to see. Avalon became, for me, too much of a repetition of the previous ones, and I have found a great deal more enjoyment from visiting YTYA. It's more up close and personal, more a/c of my vintage, even if some of them can't land, and it is a beautiful wee place to spend the day.

Having said that, I have been known to be unable to resist anything but temptation, but I'd use the train-and-shuttle methodn NEVER again will I drive.

Cheers,

TNO.

TOUCH-AND-GO
11th Dec 2014, 04:51
Ramp check? What's the big deal? Fly in, have all your documentation readily available and you're set. Had the privilege of flying in a couple of times and got ramped check by the friendly staff of CASA. Thankfully got through every single one of them hassle free! :E

Bets the heck of driving into the Avalon air show I tell ya!

T&G :ok:

bentleg
11th Dec 2014, 08:12
I think you may find that Avalon West was not a success in 2011 as all traffic using it had to cross the main runway. At that time some lighties came into the main field.

In 2013 they moved all the lightie traffic to AVE to ease the load at the main runway. They also extended the days of operation of AVE to the full period of the airshow. I expect this will happen again in 2015.