PDA

View Full Version : Trig TY91

A and C
6th Dec 2014, 13:17
Had anyone fitted a Trig TY91 radio in a DR300 or DR400 ?

piperboy84
6th Dec 2014, 15:08
Not into a DR, but just put one in my Maule

Shoestring Flyer
6th Dec 2014, 15:56
Debating fitting one in my latest project. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the in built intercom on the Trig TY91?
Historically inbuilt intercoms have been rubbish necessitating a separate intercom so any opinon please would be helpful.

A and C
6th Dec 2014, 16:24
This function is very good on both the trig and Becker, the gliding fraternity favour the Becker because of the lower standby power consumption. This of course is not a consideration if you have a generator on your aircraft.

I have been most impressed by Trig, I have three of their transponders all have a 100 % servisability record.

If you need an intercom I have just removed a PS Engineering intercom from my aircraft due to an Avionic upgrade, this to has been faultless and would not be getting removed if I did not need the functions of an audio panel....... the intercom could be yours for a small consideration !

piperboy84
6th Dec 2014, 17:49
You are aware of this product PS Engineering :audio select panels (http://www.ps-engineering.com/PAR200.shtml)

It's a Trig ty91 built in to a PS engineering audio panel, I just installed one and like it

A and C
6th Dec 2014, 18:25
I think it was me who pointed you in the direction of PS engineering for that audio pannel !

the reason I an asking about he TY97 in a DR300 or 400 is to try and find out if someone as an EASA modification approved & to try someone from having to re invent the wheel.

piperboy84
6th Dec 2014, 18:53
Ah ok, thanks for the previous pointer, it worked out really well and saves on panel space.

Shoestring Flyer
7th Dec 2014, 09:53
A&C ..
Thanks for the offer of the PS intercom but if the TY91 inbuilt intercom is good I don't need a separate one.
Just trying to establish if it is perfectly ok or only just adequate?

A and C
7th Dec 2014, 12:06
I think you would find the TY91 intercom much better than adequate, however the PS engineering intercom puts the audio quality into the superb bracket, if you have four seats in the aircraft it is the way to go, for a two seat aircraft fitting another intercom is a luxury.

Brink
7th Dec 2014, 15:35
Have a TY91 in a 2 seater and use the built in intercom, it works very well.
I did find fitting the screened audio cables into the serial port plug a right faff though, had to cut the hole in the plug housing, it's very tight fit inside.

Rod1
8th Dec 2014, 12:33
I have installed one in a DR1050 if that helps? The intercom ok, but not as good as a separate.

Rod1

A and C
8th Dec 2014, 15:23
Thanks for the reply, I am looking for the EASA paperwork to fit this unit and so it has to be for the DR300 or 400 because they are on the same type certificate.

Its all about the stupidity & over regulation from EASA.............Roll on the UKIP victory next year !

wigglyamp
8th Dec 2014, 17:38
Hi A&C

The regulation for mod paperwork is no different to that which existed under BCAR so no easy get-out even with UKIP! You can always apply for your own minor change directly to EASA.

Shoestring Flyer
8th Dec 2014, 18:58
Rod

Thanks for the info. You say it is not as good as a separate intercom. I guess it will always be subjective but can I push further and ask in what way do you think it is not quite as good...the clarity? or does it tend to be short on volume?

Rod1
9th Dec 2014, 18:17
It is a bit less clear, it is less tolerant of different mixes of headset and the squelch is a bit coarse. It is perfectly adequate - but just not as good as say a PS501 or a SPA-400. Volume is just ok, but again not as good as a separate.

Rod1

A and C
9th Dec 2014, 19:45
Its not for me....... just trying to get someone out of a hole.

My DR400 avionic problems are going to be far more interesting to solve !