PDA

View Full Version : It's been a long time...

smokie78
6th Dec 2014, 11:41
Hey guys,

I haven't been on this forum for a good few years now as I had given up on the whole idea of becoming a pilot (for the second time) due to expense and the industry seeming to be terrible.
Just wondering has there been any changes? What are job prospects like now?
I'm now 36 not getting any younger but this bug won't go away....I got to the stage of first solo ten years ago and money became an issue.
I now have a wife and son but really want to pursue this dream. I live in Perth, Australia now....anyone any advice on cheapest possible way to train, or experience of flying in Perth?
Thank you guys

Arm out the window
6th Dec 2014, 20:58
Possibly get an RPL (a bit like a GFPT, but actually a licence under the new CASR Part 61 rules. Then fly for fun for a while building PIC hours around the local area, scratch the itch a bit and see if you're really still keen to pursue it as a job.

Diesel Pilot
6th Dec 2014, 22:11
Hey smokie, I sent you a PM. Check your inbox.

mattyj
7th Dec 2014, 06:26
The industry..terrible..?

Ahh the good old days...

Howard Hughes
7th Dec 2014, 06:56
Job prospects are crap, but still there for those who persist, get your ass North NOW!!! I waited ten years to go North and had a job within a few days once I did, haven't looked back since.

PS: Incidentally I was 34 when I got my first flying job!:ok:

training wheels
7th Dec 2014, 11:42
I personally know a guy who had been out of flying for 13 years without a flying job, and came back into the industry at 42 years of age expecting to be nothing more than a GA flight instructor. Being at the right place and right time got him a gig flying regional turbo-props which lead to him getting the hours required for an ATPL. He then got a gig for a an established airline in South East Asia and last I heard, he's waiting for a slot at Toulouse for the ATR72 - 600 sim. Word from his company is that he could see command on the -600 in less than two years.

So you just never know in this game; if you want it bad enough, then things will happen. A combination of being at right place at the right time, perisitence, hard work, professionalism and luck I guess. Pity he had to leave Australia to achieve all this but South East Asia is where all the jobs are at the moment, with developing economies in Myanmar, Laos, Indonesia, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Horatio Leafblower
7th Dec 2014, 16:19
Well if nobody else is going to say it, I will.

....been a long
lonely
lonely
lonely
lonely
lone
ly
time

:ok: