PDA

View Full Version : GA Private Ramp Check questions...

adzA
4th Dec 2014, 22:29
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone with any experience (or connection to CASA) may be able to help me with the following queries for a private General Aviation Local Scenic Flight or even just circuits.

I have no idea what to expect with a ramp check. Listening to different people's experiences it seems as though it's no different to being intercepted by a cop: it depends on who you get, what sort of mood they're in, etc with a wide range of outcomes.

Call me crazy, but I would love to be ramp checked by someone who is there to help educate me (so I know what I'm doing right, and can learn too from my mistakes) - but just the same I'm quite concerned about being ramp checked by someone just eager to write up as many infringements as they can.

As such, I'm wanting to prepare and cover myself for the worst and hope for the best, so referring to http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100209/ramp-checks-ga.pdf I have the following questions:

Weather/NOTAMS:

How can I prove that I've "made a careful study of forecast weather and applicable NOTAMs". Should I have a copy with me for proof? (It's not required as I understand, but how else can I provide evidence)?

Will they accept verbal acknowledgement that there are no Notams, or the only ones was 'runway distance change', etc as proof? Weather I believe I'm OK with (if not flying more than 50nm) - but not sure about NOTAMS.

Fuel:

I've got 3.5hrs available, and I'm planning on a 40 minute local flight, (either circuits or a short local scenic around a small rural town, etc). Am I really expected to write all this down and do written calculations as well as in flight logs, or is this only for trips from A to B?

Normally I just do this in my head. (It's 9am. I can fly to 12:30 before I run out of gas. I'll be back by 10am - 2.5hrs reserve and never be more than 15 minutes from the strip - I'm fine with ample to spare). I could recall this verbally if ramp checked. Is this sufficient, or do I really need to log this down and maintain a fuel log throughout my flight? (Or even circuits)?

Appropriate, Current Charts and Documents

EFB's - Is this sufficient for me (with no paper backups at all)? It's not like I'm flying somewhere I'm not familiar. (In which I'd have paper all the way).

I'm doing a local scenic in a rural area I've grown up in my whole life not flying more than 20nm from the strip. Class G airspace so the only reason I'd be carrying it would be to comply with the rules anyway - I wouldn't even be referencing it during the flight. Same again with circuits. Is this enough?

Weights & Balance

One day I might be flying solo. (Circuits). Another I might take my young daughter up, or maybe a friend.

If I'm flying a 182. I know that I can carry full fuel plus an additional 250kgs easy without even pulling out the charts. So from prior experience I know I'm well within the weight and balance limits with more than 100kg's to spare.

I've got prior W&B checks where I've had more fuel and more weight in the plane.

Do I still need written evidence that I've already done a weight & balance check on paper for this flight - or is it sufficient to be able to verbally prove I'm within the limits and then demonstrate on paper if required?

(ie: Does CASA really expect people to do a separate W&B check each time they go out on a solo circuit with different fuel quantities)?

For other flights where I consider I need to do a W&B check (ie, taking a few people up where the margin will be smaller)- how do I provide evidence of weights?

Is it satisfactory to simply have their weights written down on paper with the charts, or how do I prove I've done it? (Do I have to take photo's of passengers standing on scales to make sure I'm covered 100% in case I get the ramp check from hell?)

Recent Experience

What normally happens here? Since I'm not required to carry my logbook (better if I don't) - once again - will they accept verbal acknowledgement. Will they allow me to scan and email a copy of my logbook after the ramp check?

As previously mentioned, a lot of this stuff seems like common sense, and I'd be happy to be corrected at a ramp check if I was falling short some where - but I'm just as concerned about making sure that I'm not going to get burnt for small things if I get the wrong inspector and I've slipped up somewhere.

djpil
4th Dec 2014, 22:32
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - GA pilot selected by CASA inspector (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101863) answers some questions.

adzA
4th Dec 2014, 23:50
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately that page just looks like a web version of the link in my original post - doesn't actually answer the questions I have.

BlatantLiar
5th Dec 2014, 00:03
Just apply the reasonable persons test to yourself when you prepare for a flight and if some arsehole FOI gets all up in your grille and tries to apply 999 penalty units just quit aviation. What choice do you have?

adzA
5th Dec 2014, 00:49
Hi Guys,

I don't know how bad it's gotten (if it's gotten bad at all) - I'm just asking questions as to what would be required of me for the above scenario's, so they are a genuine questions.

The choices that I have as I see it are to:

a) Keep doing what I've always done, and run the risk of getting burnt. (Because I don't do a W&B check for myself when I fly, or a fuel log for local flights and I'm not sure what exactly is required of me).

b) Do absolutely everything for every flight regardless of whether it's circuits or a cross country/water flight.

c) Ask questions to find out.

I opted for option (c) which is why I'm here. :)

DUXNUTZ
5th Dec 2014, 00:57
I'd just make sure I was taxiing when he turns up. Giving a dude from CASA a friendly wave (single digit style) is probably the most fun you could have in aviation.

Sunfish
5th Dec 2014, 03:15
As a general personal rule if I am outside the circuit I have at least one current paper chart and unless I have Two iPads, I have ERSA as well and please note that these backups must be accessible to the crew, not chucked in the back with the baggage. If you need glasses you must have a spare pair.

I'm not sure that "verbal" evidence of weather weight and balance and fuel logging will get you very far unless you haver perfect memory.

I generally do a quick back of the envelope W & B and If I’m touring I have a "trip book" which has my generic W & B for the tour written in.

Fuel log is just the back of a flight plan form.

However if you get a bloody minded FOI he will find something to ping you for and there is nothing you can do about it.

Its fear of one of these encounters with the capricious CASA that keeps me from attending fly ins, Birdsville races, etc. At least on the road with the police you can argue the point and the rules are pretty much set in concrete and easily applied. CASA? No such luck.

Ixixly
5th Dec 2014, 03:37
Hello Adza,

Understandably you're a bit anxious about something like this but in my experience as long as your courteous and have your ducks in a line a Ramp Check is very painless.

For your Weather/Notams it's not a particularly strenuous or costly task just to print these out quickly before you head off so I'd suggest just doing it. If you're just doing a scenic then you only need for one destination and it shouldn't take more than an A4 piece of paper to have this onhand. With the ERSA I believe you can just download the relevant ones online and print them out instead of purchasing an entire ERSA.

Aeronautical Information Package (AIP) | Airservices (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/aip.asp)

For Fuel, CASA have this handy little A5 size laminated Fuel Log that they hand out for free, head into your local CASA office if you have one and ask them for one or you can get them online for free. A quick scribble each time with a marker you can wipe off after each flight and you're free and clear and they'll probably be impressed you're using their little tool!

SP088 - Flight planning kit ? Civil Aviation Safety Authority Australia (http://shop.casa.gov.au/collections/safety-tool-kits/products/flight-planning-kit)

Appropriate Charts, just grab a local WAC to go with your EFB and a VTC if there is one that covers you and you'll be just fine, it's only a few beers worth and once again you never know if you might need it one day. Keep in mind you might know the area but someone who doesn't may be referencing a WAC chart to tell you where they are and the name of a location there may be different to what's on the Chart. As Sunfish said, keep it within arm reach as well.

Weight and Balance is just the way you described it and is what I did for both Skydiving and as a backup for Charter/Scenic Flight, just have one done up that represents worst case scenarios, maybe 2 or 3 that you can think of to demonstrate you know the limits of your aircraft.

With your logbook I'm not entirely certain about this, I am pretty sure they allow you a certain amount of time to bring this in to be checked but it's been a little while since I've been back in Aus and if you get a snarky FOI he may just decide to not believe you and you could be grounded, once again I don't particularly see the issue with taking your Logbook with you and if you're using the same Aircraft all the time then you'll have evidence of your flights in the Tech/Maintenance Log and that should suffice I'd say.

Doing the above will take all of about 5-10mins and give you piece of mind, if you have an FOI that likes to visit your field regularly and this is what has you concerned then after doing it a few times he may just get used to you and decide that you're not worth the effort of annoying each time as well!

Aussie Bob
5th Dec 2014, 03:59
Rule 1: Ask for the FOI's identification and check it is current - always. No current ID = no ramp check, only fair.

2. Weather, if you have logged into NAIPS there is a record of the login - weather sorted. Jot anything pertinent on paper or use Ipad or similar.

3. Have your licence and medical with you

4. Have a load chart if the load is anywhere near maximum in either C of G or Gross

5. Make sure that if you have anything on board it is covered by a cargo net and/or properly restrained

6. Have some sort of flight plan, if your using an Ipad make sure you have a charge lead. This will cover chart requirements as well. No electronic device, have paper plan and charts. have something in mind for a backup.

7. Make sure the MR is signed and current

All over Rover.

thorn bird
5th Dec 2014, 04:34
and if all that fails and the FOI is still being D..kh..d, there's the accidental head bob, aiming point should be the bridge of the nose for maximum effect.

adzA
5th Dec 2014, 05:00
Sunfish, Ixixly and Aussie Bob

Thanks very much for your detailed replies - this is exactly the sort of advise I'm looking for...

But I am wondering why having a paper WAC, or printed weather if I have an EFB. (Or if they're required, what's the benefit of a EFB at all - for small private local flights like I have mentioned)?

I don't see why I'd bother with a tablet if I'm going to have paper anyway.

I'd prefer just an EFB. As mentioend I could print the weather and notams to PDF and keep on my tablet as proof. If one device covers me for a ramp check. And if it doesn't and I legally require paper WAC's and ERSA (or printed pages) - what's the point of an EFB for these small fights at all?

I would be referring to none of them at all during flight - they're solely there for legal purposes.

Maybe someone can explain if an EFB / tablet by itself is legally sufficient for a rampcheck? (Plus license and medical of course).

Thanks about the W&B information. If I have "worst case scenario's" (which I do) handy - and can prove I come in 'under that' - then that's acceptable? Nice to know.

Thanks again for the advise...

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Dec 2014, 05:21
What OzBob says!

Don't sweat it - I been flying both private and comical for 40 yrs and never been ramped.

There was that one time that some bod ran over to the 402 waving at me, but the door was closed and the engines running - so I gave him a wave and taxied away! :ok:

Dr :8

On Track
5th Dec 2014, 06:13
In 20+ years of flying I've been ramp checked only once, at the Avalon air show last year.

I wasn't the pilot in command so I didn't deal with the FOI but I think the main things he wanted to see were:

maintenance release current and signed for the day;

weight and balance calculation;

fuel calculation;

appropriate current charts;

current ERSA and notams.

compressor stall
5th Dec 2014, 06:42
And don't let him look in your nav bag if he asks. Refuse with a statement along the lines of I have given you the documents required by law.

And don't let him distract you from looking after your pax to and from the aircraft. Shut the door and tell him to look around the outside until you have finished your duties.

Draggertail
5th Dec 2014, 07:06
Adza, what you are doing sounds more than reasonable for a local flight. I have never been ramp checked in more than 4000 hrs so I think the chances are very small. Much more likely at an airshow or fly in. Put copies of your licence and medical on your tablet. You are doing far more than most flying locally. Doing what a reasonable person would do to comply is the main thing. Just enjoy your flying, be honest if you do speak to CASA but don't volunteer more than required.

thunderbird five
5th Dec 2014, 08:07
It's good that one carries the things one should carry on a flight, licence, medical, maps etc. No problem. You are required by various regs to do so.
But are you required to prove it?

Show me "Ramp Check" in the Regulations.:=

Howard Hughes
5th Dec 2014, 08:51
Show me "Ramp Check" in the Regulations.
My advice is don'be adversarial, that never works out well. ;)

I have had three ramp checks in 30 years and one of those was part of a company surveillance. I have just handed them all the required documents and have never had any problems. In one case the Chief Pilot got a letter saying how well I conducted myself.

In one I had to explain the difference between empty and operating weight to the FOI, I still don't think he got it when I was finished! ;)

Jabawocky
5th Dec 2014, 09:52
Howie....we're you baffling with bullsh1t :E

What OzBob says!

Don't sweat it - I been flying both private and comical for 40 yrs and never been ramped.

There was that one time that some bod ran over to the 402 waving at me, but the door was closed and the engines running - so I gave him a wave and taxied away!

Dr

Yep......the Dr tells the truth, at last! :}

aroa
5th Dec 2014, 09:53
For the budding pilot...and all others as well.... NOTE WELL.

NEVER, EVER talk to CAsA person/s on your own, Period.

Never mind how polite and smiley he/she may be to start with...you will NOT know the agenda and if the person is of the "brownie point" collector type with a liver problem.,,, there could be an unhappy end result.

YOU MUST..record the conversation, take notes, phone record or video and get someone to be with you if you can. Having your own witness is best but you must make a record to protect yourself if things go off the rails.
They work in pairs some times so alone your words can be contradicted..and you dont have a witness.!

Make sure you ask the name, see the ID, ask their business/reason for visit and if entry to a hangar is required, they must ask permission to enter.
If inconvenient, get them to make an appointment for a mutually suitable time.
You have PYA.. they have CYA 101 training and then some.
Like the boy scout Be Prepared. :ok:

Jabawocky
5th Dec 2014, 09:54
Howie....we're you baffling with bullsh1t :E

What OzBob says!

There was that one time that some bod ran over to the 402 waving at me, but the door was closed and the engines running - so I gave him a wave and taxied away!

Dr

Yep......the Dr tells the truth, at last! :}

thunderbird five
5th Dec 2014, 10:09
Yes, a good tip there Howard. Don't poke the bear.
But, I wonder if Ramp Check is just a big con. It isn't featured by that name in any regulation I can find, and I've not yet found the topic elsewhere in the regs. I think it will exist, in some cryptic fashion.
I'm reliably informed the following took place early this year:

There once was a couple ramp checkers,

Who thought they had quite large peckers.

They hopped the fence at Point Cook Airshow,

And headed off airside to go play Rambo.

The RAAF police weren’t having any of this,

Told them to leave, and don’t stop for a piss:

"This is not a civilian airfield – get your asses back over that fence, NOW!"

Squawk7700
5th Dec 2014, 10:18
That's funny thunderbird because that's what happened and it couldn't have happened to someone so deserving.

Get your arse behind the fence meow :ok:

Duck Pilot
5th Dec 2014, 10:24
Be careful what you say to an FOI or AWI on a ramp check, however in all cases be honest and don't let them intimidate you. If you can't answer their questions be very direct and tell them that you don't know the answer.

If they are going to issue you with an NCN , take them to task there and then and get all the details. The gestapo behaviour hopefully will become a thing of the past. There are some good people in CASA who are trying to make a consolidated effort to turn the reputation of the place around, sadly these people have been the minority up until recently. As a result of the governments response to the review and the new DAS starting on Jan 1, I recon there might actually be a major reshuffle internally , a clean out of dead wood and even some good jobs for younger people with industry expertise to join CASA to help make the industry a healthier environment to work in.

Arnold E
5th Dec 2014, 10:45
appropriate current charts;

This is the one that gets me, how many geological features move around that much as to cause a hazard to navigation in Oz?:confused:

Aussie Bob
5th Dec 2014, 19:39
IMHO for private operations just an Ipad will suffice. The backup is up to the pilot, not casa.

For commercial ops it is whatever the ops manual states ...

Stationair8
5th Dec 2014, 20:41
Air BP had a card made detailing all that was required on a ramp check.

thorn bird
5th Dec 2014, 20:42
For commercial ops, when the volume of paper work and shelfware equals the volume of the passengers your good to go.

Probably have to remove a seat but, to accommodate all the Part 61 shelfware alone.

Sunfish
6th Dec 2014, 19:28
Aussie Bob:

IMHO for private operations just an Ipad will suffice. The backup is up to the pilot, not casa.

Correct, but you do need a backup in some form. Personally, I keep the paper charts. I also find when touring, that marking our position on a paper chart is something useful a passenger can do to keep them occupied as well as satisfying the VFR position determination requirement.

The latest definitive guide for AOC holders covers the issues I think.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/ops/233_1.pdf

Jabawocky
7th Dec 2014, 07:09
Sunfish,
Correct, but you do need a backup in some form.

Is this in your private or commercial flying? Commercial no doubt.

;)

adzA
7th Dec 2014, 20:36
I'm wondering the same.

It makes no sense to get an EFB as a private pilot for local flying (where you won't be referring to anything) if you still require paper as well, just spending more money.

I've heard a number of PPL's mention that they use an iPad because it covers everything, is cheaper than paper (in the long run) and they don't require anything else - but reading the ramp checks list has me confused if this is the case or not. :confused:

BlatantLiar
7th Dec 2014, 20:48
(where you won't be referring to anything)

For this reason I can't wait for ozrunways to be released on android. Buy a few $100 cheapo aldi tablets and stick them in the aircraft I fly and I'm done. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Aussie Bob
7th Dec 2014, 21:02
adzA, you are way over thinking all this. Grab your Ipad and go flying. Your chance of being ramp checked is so small it is almost non existant and nothing untoward will happen to you if all you carry is an Ipad for your paperwork.

Your type of mind set generally precedes giving flying up. Fixating on rules in this game is soul destroying.

BlatantLiar
7th Dec 2014, 21:05
Your type of mind set generally precedes giving flying up. Fixating on rules in this game is soul destroying.

This. /lock thread.

adzA
7th Dec 2014, 21:28
:confused:

All I'm trying to do is find out what is the minimum required of me so that I'm fine if I get ramp checked.

It seems others have given up and wont' fly to various events for fear of ramp checks. I would have thought that my desire to make sure I'm compliant and prepared (without spending more than I need) would have indicated that I'm more likely to stick around instead of quit.

I admit - I didn't think it would be this difficult or confusing. I shouldn't have to rely on the odds of whether I get ramp checked or not to be OK. It's disappointing that this seems unachievable and there's so many gray areas instead of clean answers to the point where I'm encouraged just to play the odds instead.

KRviator
7th Dec 2014, 23:46
I admit - I didn't think it would be this difficult or confusing. I shouldn't have to rely on the odds of whether I get ramp checked or not to be OK. It's disappointing that this seems unachievable and there's so many gray areas instead of clean answers to the point where I'm encouraged just to play the odds instead. Let's look into the actual rules and what they say, and throw *my* take on it, and see what the consensus is.

First off. CAsA appoints "investigators" under Section 32AA of the Civil Aviation Act, or "Authorised Persons" under CAR6, and they must carry their ID card. No card? You don't have to comply. Or even acknowledge them as you turn and walk away.

IF they are appointed under CAR6, the following regulations may be attached to their appointment - ie, if they have "Regulation 50D", they can ask to see aircraft maintenance records...

subregulation 30(4) - deals with inspecting aircraft, components & materials.
subregulation 33(2) - deals with inspecting aircraft, components & materials to ascertain competence of maintenance people.
regulation 43A (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s43a.html) - Says they can inspect the maintenance release
regulation 50D (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s50d.html) - Says they can inspect maintenance records
regulation 53 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s53.html) - Says they can investigate defects, however, if they want to look at records associated with with the investigation, they must order it in writing.
regulation 227 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s227.html) -Says they can enter the flight deck, but only if the PIC is satisfied doing so won't endanger the aircraft.
regulation 290 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s290.html) - Says they can shoot on or over a Federal airport.
regulation 302 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s302.html) - Says they can look at your logbook, aircraft logbook, passenger manifest, freight manifest "or other documents relating to the aircraft"
regulation 310B -
acting under regulation 305. (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s305.html) - Says they can enter any premises during working hours, and at "all reasonable times" have access to aircraft for the purposes of inspecting the aircraft

CASA MUST NOT enter a premises without consent, and when asking for consent, MUST tell you that consent may be refused and may be withdrawn at any time. Should it be granted, they can do pretty much whatever they like. Take samples, photos, sketches, interview people, etc. CAA Sect 32ACB (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/caa1988154/s32acb.html). So tell them no, they can't come in! But if they have a Reg305 permission, looks like you're screwed! :P

CAsA gives the following guidance here (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101863) for ramp checkee's.

The inspector will ask you for your CASA pilot licensing documents

Flight crew licence (FCL) – You must carry your current licence and photographic ID. [Paper or electronic copy of licence acceptable]
Aviation medical certificate – You must carry your current aviation medical certificate. You must be compliant with any restrictions or endorsements (e.g. the wearing of corrective lenses)[Paper or electronic copy of medical certificate acceptable]

The inspector will then check your preparation for your flight

Flight plan

Have you maintained a navigation/fuel log?
Have you made a careful study of forecast weather and applicable NOTAMs?
Are you compliant with CASA flight time limitations (as applicable)?
Are you carrying the appropriate, current charts and documents? Are they easily accessible by the crew?
Are you using an EFB for your charts and documents? There are considerations for commercial versus private operations.
Have you submitted a flight plan (if required by AIP)?
Finally, the inspector will check your aircraft

The inspector will check:
Aircraft maintenance release
Is the daily inspection signed off correctly?
Are all required airworthiness directives completed and signed off?
Are there any outstanding aircraft unserviceable items to be signed off?
Flight manual (if required)– is it up-to-date?
Checklists (normal and non-normal) — are they up-to-date and accessible to crew. [Paper or electronic copy of checklist acceptable]
Evidence of pilot and passenger weights (standard weights should not be used in aircraft with fewer than 7 seats) Evidence of cargo weights (if carried) and appropriate securing equipment.
Load sheets (if required)
Required emergency equipment on board, serviceable and accessible.

Document references

Flight crew licence & aviation medical certificates

Carriage of documents – CAR 139
Flight review – CAR 5.108
Recent experience – CAR 5.109

Operations

Navigation logs – CAR 78
Fuel requirements – CAR 234
Weather and NOTAM – CAR 233 & AIP ENR 1-10 paragraph 1.
Flight plan submission AIP ENR 1-10 paragraph 2.
Flight time limitations – CAO 48.1 and CAAP 48.1
Charts and documents – CAR 139 and AIP ENR 1.10 paragraph 5.
EFBs – CAO 82.0, CAR 233 and CAAP 233-1(1)

Aircraft

Carriage of maintenance release – CAR 139
Carriage of flight manual – CAR 139
Check lists – CAR 232
Carriage of passengers – CAO 20.16.3 – CAAP 235
Carriage of cargo – CAO 20.16.2.
Load sheets and passengers lists – CAO 20.16.1
Emergency equipment – CAR 252A – CAO 20.11

CAR139 requires you carry the following documents at all times when operating wholly within Australian Territory:

The Maintenance Release or an approved alternative, unless CAsA has authorised otherwise.
The licence & medical certificate of the pilot(s).
The flight manual, if it has one.
If you're carrying any cargo, the bill of lading & manifest.

Note: You are not required to carry your logbook, however, CASR 61.365 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/casr1998333/s61.365.html) requires you to produce it within 7 days. You can also keep an electronic copy, however, to "produce" this logbook, you must print out and sign each page as true & correct.

CAsA's reference to a Flight Review under CAR 5.108 refers to CPL holders only, not PPL's. However an identical requirement is found in CAR 5.81. You must have had a AFR within the previous two years. But without your logbook on site, how do you prove it? You can't and they can't prove otherwise. So so long as you've done it all's good.

You must also have had 3 takeoff's and 3 landings (off 3 separate approaches, presumably!) within the previous 90 days, in order to carry passengers. IF you're flying at night, these must be at night. CAR 5.82 refers. But as above, no logbook on site, no proof you're not current.

You are not required to keep a navigation log per se'. However, CAR 78 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s78.html) requires you to keep a log of such data "to enable you to fix your position at any time in flight". On a local junket, so long as you don't get lost (and what are the odds of that, really?), you've kept sufficient data to know your position I reckon.

CASR234 requires you to have sufficient fuel to operate the flight safely. This is subjective and will rely on your judgement, but the rules show guidance in relation to delayed landing clearance, depressurisation, engine failures in twins, etc. Most of which you're unlikely to confront on a local junket, but if you take off for a 90 minute junket with minimum fuel and a front forecast to hit 60 mins after takeoff, you could find yourself in the **** if you get ramped. Show you had fuel to hold for an hour, you should be alright. Common sense applies here. Good luck!

Pre-flight prep, weather & Notams. CAR 233 does not require you to check Notams, only that you have sufficient fuel on board & required equipment & instruments are functioning & the weight and balance are within limits.

AIP 1-10 requires you to look over ("must study") all info appropriate to the operation, and for flights away from the vicinity of an aerodrome, you must look at the weather, notams, etc. You do not need printed copies. You do not need notams & weather if you are remaining within the vicinity of your aerodrome. And you do not need to produce these documents to CASA even if you have them.

If you nominate a SARTIME to ATS or plan to operate in CTA other than Class E you must submit a flight plan. If you're staying in E or G, and don't want SAR, then you don't need a flight notification.

CAO 48.1 mainly relates to CPL & AOC holders, however, for PPL's you must not commence a flight if you will go over 30 hours in 7 days, 100 hours in 30 days, or 900 hours in 365 days. If you fly for a living and your employer can't roster you because you'll go over hours, you can't fly for fun either.

CAR 233 requires you to carry current maps & charts applicable for the route to be flown, provided by the AIP or someone approved in writing. OzRunways (and presumably AvPlan too) are approved in writing, so you can use Ozrunways instead of paper charts.

EFB's... CAO 82.0 does not apply to PPL's, only AOC holders operating Charter, AWK and RPT. CAR233 provides for OzRunways as a data source. There is no requirement for a backup for PPL's, either paper or another EFB, however you are required to have access to the relevant charts throughout the flight. "What happens if you drop your ERSA from the front cockpit of a Drifter?" I hear you ask... I dunno.

Personally, I'd have OzRunways on the iPad and a backup on the iPhone. The iPhone screen size is too small, but it's a backup, not primary. That's assuming you even need charts on your local junket...

Checklists. If your aircraft has them, they must be carried. CAR232(3).

You may carry 5 people in a 172, if two children occupy a single seat and don't weigh more than 77Kg combined. You do not require the names of passengers if you're operating a PVT flight.

If your plane has more than 1 seat, you must carry an ELT if beyond 50nm and it must be registered with AMSA! Portable ones must meet AS/NZS 4280.2:2003 or FAA TSO C91a and C126.

djpil
8th Dec 2014, 00:01
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately that page just looks like a web version of the link in my original post - doesn't actually answer the questions I have.adzA, I have marked up my own copy of that document with my own notes from reading the referenced regs etc to see what actually applies to myself.
I am aware of FOIs using ramp checks as an education process so if you do reasonable stuff (perhaps just like you were taught?) then you should survive it. On the other hand, I heard a rumour here about some-one getting a hefty fine for not having a spare pair of specs with him at a ramp check?

Jabawocky
8th Dec 2014, 01:09
adzi

Refer to this thread and read carefully all my posts. ready carefully. ;)
http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/551731-efb-oz-rwys.html

Hope that helps with that question. :ok:

gchriste
8th Dec 2014, 01:27
Fantastic detailed response KR. Sums up much of what I assumed (studying for RPL at the moment).

Aussie Bob
8th Dec 2014, 01:55
All I'm trying to do is find out what is the minimum required of me so that I'm fine if I get ramp checked.We have told you.

It seems others have given up and wont' fly to various events for fear of ramp checks.These are the folk who know they will be overweight/outside limits and can't be bothered making an effort. Ignore them.

For what its worth on my last (and only) ramp check I had forgotten to sign the maintenance release :ugh:

The dude from casa gave me the opportunity to sign it. Their idea is usually education, not harassment these days (from my observations).

tecman
8th Dec 2014, 02:41
Helpful posts from Bob and KRviator, I reckon. Personally, I don't find it too onerous and offer my own implementation as a suggestion as to how to handle the Sunday pie-run requirements.

I have a lightweight laptop wallet with a few zip compartments. The wallet lives in my "big" flight bag. Within the wallet - in various compartments - live my iPAD, a couple of VNC and ERC(L) charts, printouts of a couple of ERSA local aerodrome diagrams, licence/logbook, spare specs, ASIC, phone, money wallet, keys and emergency Minties. The idea is that I can quickly grab the laptop wallet and go for the Sunday jaunt in the puddle-jumper, with minimum overhead.

Within the puddle-jumper, I keep all the legally required documents (MR, flight manual etc) plus an operations log in which all flight times, fuel in/out etc are noted.

A lot of this stuff is common sense and only a little bit of attention to regulatory nuances gets you happily into the air for that $100 pie.

Creampuff
8th Dec 2014, 02:46
Good stuff, KRviator.

I’d only add that generally ramp checks are done by inspectors authorised under CAR 6, for the purposes of the regulations mentioned in CAR 6A (the equivalents of some of which are now in the 1998 CASRs), rather than investigators appointed under 32AA of the Act. :ok:

KRviator
8th Dec 2014, 03:39
Updated, thanks!

kaz3g
8th Dec 2014, 05:39
Thanks to Creamie for pointing me in the right direction.

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - REG 6A

Identity cards
(1) CASA must issue an identity card to an authorised person:

(a) appointed under regulation 6 for the purposes of any 1 or more of the following provisions:

(i) subregulation 30(4); system of certifying completion of engineering activities ( now in CASR?)

(ii) subregulation 33(2); competency of holder of welding or airworthiness authority

(iii) regulation 43A; access to and inspection of maintenance release

(iv) regulation 50D; persons required to make or retain records must provide access to them

(v) regulation 53; power to investigate defects of aircraft or parts

(viii) regulation 227; admission of authorised person to crew compartment

(ix) regulation 290; discharge of firearm on aerodrome

(x) regulation 302; on demand, produce or cause to be produced for inspection by an authorised person, any certificates, licences, log books or other documents relating to the aircraft and produce pilot licence

(xi) regulation 310B; (think this was to do with times of night?)

(b) acting under regulation 305. Access to aviation places at all reasonable times

It appears to me that not only must the authorised person produce his/her identity card if exercising a power under the Regulation (I hate powers being granted under regs instead of the Act), his card must carry a notation of the specific regs for which the authorisation applies.

This is a different card and appointment to that of an investigator whose appointment is under the Act.

Investigators can obtain warrants but authorised officers don't need them...you are guilty, anyway. Weird.

Kaz

thorn bird
8th Dec 2014, 06:55
So the accidental head Bob seems to be the best defense!!:}:E

Kharon
23rd Dec 2014, 17:40
Santa and the elves were all busy, so much to do. The flight planning and flight following elves were flat strap, not only were there new war zones to avoid, volcanoes, RVSM airspace, ADSB airspace and new narrow roof top landing limits to comply with; but the Indian ocean had developed it's own version of the Bermuda triangle where alien spaceships where thought to be operating. No matter, the planning elves knew their work and would design a flight path to suit.

The tech elves also had their work cut out, new gadgets to fit and test, the paperwork was mounting. The chief tech elf had lost his temper a record number of times; very few of the tech elves would climb the steep staircase to his office, lest they were thumped by an outgoing (express) bundle of paperwork followed by a string of language, strong enough to turn the air blue and make a stokers mate blush. One of the real issues causing the chief tech elf to 'loose it' was that Santa had been forced into using 'clerical' types to do the fixing. The CTE needed proper spanner twisters, the ones with fingers like muscular centipedes and who could actually fix things, alas, middle management elves had 'let them go', claiming the new composite sled was imbued with magical, self healing powers.

Santa of course needed to renew his medical and complete his proficiency check. He had spent weeks training the reindeer to stop pedalling when he shouted Bang (check pilots were not authorised to carry shotguns any longer) and reckoned he had the simulated power unit failure problem licked.

He had been on a strict diet, no booze, plenty of green leafy stuff, lots of sleep and exercise (mostly due to chasing recalcitrant reindeer who wanted to frolic in the new snow, rather than play dead)..Anyway, the medical elf fussed and fiddled, a minor anomaly in the blood sugar department was, regrettably going to be an issue. Santa hustled off to the wee wee specialist elf; who declared 'no problem', so armed with a new paperwork pile, Santa trudged back the medical elf; eventually after a high blood pressure event a new medical certificate was issued, with pain in the arse proviso's, but Santa was so glad to be 'legal', he was prepared to wear it. New glasses were required, filling out a lengthy, invasive pro-forma had weakened his eyesight and filling in his name, address and ARN 16 times had not assisted his blood pressure. No matter, job done. Check ride next.

By the time the 'Check elf' executive transport landed, the sled was gleaming, all the new gizmos worked and even the paperwork was in order. Simulated MTOW was easily reached by simply loading all the shelf ware, required by law, for safety's sake inboard. From the exec jet a figure emerged "Oh no" groaned Santa, they have sent Cruella de Unspeakable.

Handshakes and pleasantries were exchanged, then it began. In the rush to get everything 'operational' Santa had not spent the mandatory three months translating the new rules and very quickly began to make some minor, technical errors during the Q&A. "But, but, that's highly subjective" huffed Santa when he was corrected; "Oh I know" gushed Cruella, "grand ain't it" and with a saccharine sweet smile the pen poised over one of the many forms. "Bugger it" thought Santa, "gone; gone for all money". Then slowly, the pen was raised "Hullo, what's this then" thought Santa. One of Santa's best presents was a winning lottery ticket; "I'll let it go this time" says Cruella, with a wink and a nod at the lottery tickets. Now Santa is nobody's fool, quietly, he stood up picked up one of the tickets, folded it neatly and put it in his shirt pocket. "Well, if that's all done, lets go flying". "No need now" says Cruella, "indeed it would be a shame to put those dahling little reindeer to all that work; I'm sure that this year you can as safely and compliantly conduct your flight as you have for the past countless years". Santa got Cruella back to the exec transport as fast as he decently could; "Merry Christmas" says he as he felt the lottery ticket slipping quietly from his pocket.

With a big sigh and a sheepish grin, shared with the chief tech elf Santa headed over to hanger; with only a day or so before the off, he had much to do; all of it important before departure. Pity Cruella didn't check the date on that ticket he mused. "Ho Ho Ho".

Tomorrow; a take off and a journey, if you're all very good.

Sponsored by IOS chapter 13, NUTS – Never Underestimate Total Shambollocks.

Toot - toot..:D....:D...

Kharon
23rd Dec 2014, 19:59
Rudolph, he of the red nose was miffed: his well rehearsed 'dying swan' routine had not been used during the check flight, but he was determined have it appreciated and decided to demonstrate his talent on the very first narrow roof top take off, "teach the fat boy a lesson" he thought as he munched on his pre take off dinner.

The CTE had recovered some cool and was doing his final look around, to be sure, to be sure; one of the new gizmos fitted had not been cooperative, but it tested OK, so with the hour fast approaching, the CTE decided that if it played up the MEL would cover the Santa arse and all would be well, the bloody thing was only an additional back up, of a redundancy duplicated system; anyway his toes were cold and tempus was fugiting.

Santa rolled up, the planning elves had done him proud, and the new 'Pad' (present from Mrs S) was all loaded and ready to rock, even had spare batteries and a plug in for the cigar lighter. Santa was a veteran though and his trusty, dusty, battered flight bag, flask and snack box were amongst the last items to be loaded, quick peck for Mum, nod of thanks to the CTE and with little fanfare, the sled accelerated into the night and slipped quietly away; shaping a course for the second star on the right and straight on until morning

Well, the planning elves had done a bang up job; the ATCO went out of their way to assist, the winds cooperated, the new rapid toy delivery system (RTDS) worked like a dream and by mornings first light (yesterday) Santa was setting up for the long haul over the Pacific and breakfast. He always enjoyed watching the suns first rays lighting the tops of the great mountains parked on the island with the long white clouds, breakfast over and a second coffee poured, the pipe was lit, feet up on the dashboard, a couple of hours to while away before the RTDS would do it's magic work again. And so it was, the reindeers nose bags were on time, the RTDS did it's thing and after a pit stop, Santa et al headed West for the final leg to 'Dizzyland'. It had been christened that by the early Santas because, there being so very little in the middle, and lots around the edges, the reindeer got dizzy going around in a big long, boring circle.

"Morning Brisbane – Santa 1 here, ready to commence RTDS run".

"Santa 1 is that? – we have no details in the system, you must have made an error; hold at 'PARKU' until advised".

Well, long story short, eventually the 'details' were found and the sled left the pattern, but it seemed that the Santa configuration of ADSB and RVSM gear was not unique enough and Santa could either climb half way to heaven; or grub along in the ice and clouds; or, bugger off somewhere else; or divert; or declare an emergency. The CVR tape was played later, for the amusement of the elves at the post delivery party; top marks for colourful language were awarded....Anyway,,,,, eventually the RTDS started and was almost over when Santa spotted a BBQ, lots of wood and canvas aircraft parked, a beer tent and a goodly crowd of children. Being an aficionado of all; Santa checked his watch and decided a PR exercise was in order; the reindeer were willing to take a break and so without much further ado; Santa lobbed in, sprinkling fairy dust and lollies over the crowd.

While the new composite sled was being admired Santa enjoyed a ginger beer and snag sandwich with the 'grown ups' while pointing out the latest technical developments (showing off really); the kids made a fuss of the reindeer and nearly cleaned out the emergency lolly supplies. " Must get going" says Santa, "long way home and I have one more drop to make". He looked at the crowd and noted they had gone very silent, the kids had shuffled in behind their Mum's and the men all gone pale. "Ho ho" says Santa, "it's not that bad and I'll be back next year". As the silence deepened, Santa looked behind him in the direction the crowd was staring; heading towards him were two figures with 'hi-viz' vests over cheap, shiny suits. "Oh ho" mused Santa, "what manner of evil is this come to visit me on Christmas eve, that scares the children so?"

"Morning boys" says Santa, " special request is it?"

Now as you can imagine, Santa was very skilled indeed at handling naughty children and could size them up at a glance. "Trouble, with capital T" thought Santa, "trouble from the ludicrous pointy toed shoes to the close set eyes beneath the short, pudding basin haircuts: best get out of here tout de suite".

"We demand to inspect your machine and your paperwork" grunts the 'fat' one by way of greeting. The skinny one just lifted his clipboard and took a pen out from behind his ear. "Love to oblige" says Santa, "but I've things to do and anyway, I'm registered at the North pole, well out of your jurisdiction; so, see you later, Tootle pip".

Well, he could tell the 'boys' were unhappy, looked like a couple of Rottweilers deprived of a Pekinese., "tough luck" thought Santa as he climbed inboard, waved at the kids and started the reindeer moving forward.

It was about rotate speed when bloody Rudolph struck; he had the audience he craved and he was sure his dying swan routine would be appreciated by the kids (he'd bragged, they'd asked to see it). "Bang" he called as loudly as he could, stopped pedalling and went into a spectacular, energetic display of how to completely bugger up a take off. No matter what Santa did, neither threats, promises or even applause could persuade Rudolph to stop messing about and get on with the business at hand. Finally, completely loosing his cool Santa bellowed "Rudolph, you fool, that's the Australian CASA troops back there and they will want to investigate". Well that did the tick, Rudolph admitted later that he was so busy doing his act that he only heard the roar of the crowd, the wind in his ears and only one word "CASA".

The sled magically righted itself as Rudolph got back to work, the rest of Dizzyland had the RTDS treatment and with a sigh of relief; Santa punched in warp speed at Fl 700 and set course for home. His thoughts were of slap up Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, relaxing by a blazing fire, watching the snow fall and telling the tales of derring-do. Little did he know, there was paperwork stalking his trail; for he, unwittingly, had caused mighty offence to the wabbits of the warren in the wild woods of Sleepy Hollow.

So children, here we must leave Santa cruising home, high, fast and free with his thoughts of mud crabs, lobster, prawns, turkey, baked spuds, plum pudding, double cream, washed down by copious amounts of a fine dark ale. Little did he know, the 1700 Christmas eve fax would beat him home.

Toot toot....:D......:D..

Kindly sponsored by the Defence Against Flaming Troglodytes (DAFT) parliamentary sub committee for protecting Christmas cheer.

djpil
23rd Dec 2014, 21:23
No wonder Santa bought a Jeep.

Kharon
24th Dec 2014, 20:56
The occluded front over Greenland spoiled an otherwise smooth journey back to the NP base; a particularly determined lightning streak had punched through the electronics boot and fried some of CTE's favourite toys; one of which was the weather protection unit. The magical bubble of warmth and rain repellent protecting the sled quit, instantly. Cursing, wet cold and a little tired Santa dragged out the QRH and torch, opened the circuit breaker panel muttered the necessary incantations and pulled breaker AW25(b). The backup system kicked in and the sled was protected again; but, neither the reindeer or Santa could dry out and it was a wet, cold descent to the FAF. No matter the base weather control was on full blast and the visual approach was conducted through a gin clear, starry night; the base turned on the Aurora Borealis approach lights and with a sigh of relief Santa dropped the skids lined up for this years final approach. A gentle bump, the ancient chant – "Whoa there, Donner, Blitzen; Dasher, Dancer, Comet, Cupid, Prancer and Vixen" was invoked and the sled came to a gentle stop, on the green arrow outside the hanger. The reindeer elves quickly un harnessed the tired dears and whisked them off to their luxurious day spa centre to be cared for, primped and made presentable for the post delivery party.

Santa sat in the sled for moment after finishing the bookwork, listening to the gyro's running down; would I ever want to do anything else? he asked himself – silly, rhetorical question, he knew: smiling quietly, he levered his stiff body out of the seat. "Made it again" he says to no one in particular and with a nod to the gods, set off for home.

Of course his job was not over yet, the chief tech elf wanted his charge in the hanger as soon as the flight bag was unloaded and he peppered Santa with questions about his precious sleds ills. Had Santa tried this, had he done that; why was flying so close to lightning, was the paper-work all correctly filled out etc. etc; all the way back to the flight office. "Full report tomorrow" says Santa "I want a beer, a bath and a snooze by the fire first, then we're going to the post delivery party". The CTE looked glum, wanting all the details now-now – "relax" says Santa "we have until Easter before the sled is needed again, here have an ale, sit a spell".

Next morning, the CTE and Santa spent some time in the hanger praising the sleds performance and discussing ways to improve the next version over hot fresh coffee and some delicious muffins delivered by a large, magical elephant 'Merry Christmas from the houseboat crew' the card said. Both CTE and Santa were suitably impressed by the elephant's take off performance as it headed to Montreal, "IOS powered" the CTE murmured, "it's tricky stuff to manage, but if you can get it right; just look at that beast go". "Magic" says Santa but of course, he knew.

Well, the party was, as always a resounding success. Mrs S knew how to do it and her cousin 'Minnie' (delivered by the elephant) was visiting, so all in all; it was a stellar event. Rudolph copped a bit of 'genteel' ribbing, for messing about in Dizzyland. The CVR tapes were played and judged against the CTE 'cussing' efforts during the pre departure preparation phase; it was a close run thing though; Santa won by a short head, for the pure, inventive genius shown in his dealings with 'Brisbane". A special prize was awarded to Blitzen who had mounted a 'go-pro' camera in his harness and had recorded the PR visit to the Dizzyland BBQ. The Hi Viz jackets could be seen, lurking in the car park at first whispering to each other; then pacing about, gesticulating and muttering into mobile phones, with their hand cupped over the mouthpiece. Did you know, all elves can lip read? – they can; the noise in the factory, during the pre Christmas production makes it a requirement for employment: and so, the entire audience were treated to a hilarious version of what those, subsequently dubbed Inutile and Dubious (or I&D), had said. It was all great fun..

The fax? – Oh, that was sorted before the party started; I&D thought to 'do' Santa for DUI, in fact they had been onto their boss looking for a way to do it; the fax stated clearly that both I&D could smell booze on Santa and his eyes were glassy. Of course, they conveniently 'forgot' that you need to do a test and furnish evidence. No matter, the Blitzen recording clearly showed that Santa had a ginger beer with his sandwich; and, the gentleman who gave it to Santa, along with about a dozen others, were all prepared to swear to it: so a stick it in your ear email was sent, via the Prime minister of Dizzyland.

It's a couple of days later now and the sled is behaving nicely during it's post maintenance test flight; from my humble right seat in sled I can see Santa is still concerned about it though; he keeps muttering words like odious payback and deceitful tactics. Next year's visit to Dizzyland will be a doozy, although why he's bought a diving helmet is a mystery.

Now then where's that bloody Easter Bunny hopped off to – dollar he's in the boozer. Better go and get him, dry him out and get him sorted for the egg run; I'm flying that out this year Santa says: once a year to Dizzyland is more than enough for him.

Toot toot ....Best wishes and all good things, to you and yours...:D..

Sponsored by the Styx River sled and elephant flying club.

Aussie Bob
24th Dec 2014, 21:02
Toot toot Kharon, have a good one ... :ok:

Kharon
27th Dec 2014, 18:44
Cheers Bob, glad you liked the twiddle; let's just hope it's the last aviation fairy story for what was a vintage year of tall tales. Grim reality is always lurking just around the corner, let's hope GA and regional avoid the brunt of it this next year...:ok:.

LeadSled
29th Dec 2014, 02:39
Folks,
CASA, bless their black hearts, publish several tri-fold brochures covering ramp checks, one for GA, one for Sports Aviators, they actually are quite useful as "have I got everything" aid memoirs, and also a credit card sized checklist covering pre-flight requirements.
Tootle pip!!

PS: Disclaimer: I haven't "audited" either of the above to see if they are correct.