PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels Hornet skidded of the runaway

alexhara
4th Dec 2014, 17:32
An US NAVY F/A-18 Hornet aircraft belongs to Blue Angels aerobatic team skidded off the runaway while landing at the former Brunswick Naval Air Station, this morning about 7:30a.m.

The pilot Capt. Jeff Kuss who is a Blue Angels Narrator and the other occupant Capt. Corrie Mays who is Event Coordinator assigned to the team, were unharmed.

Source: Blue Angels Hornet skidded of the runaway (http://aerobaticteams.net/news/2014/blue-angels-horned-skidded-off-the-runaway.html)

KenV
4th Dec 2014, 18:10
Wait, what?!!

The article says the Pilot (the team narrator) and "other occupent" (team event coordinator) were Captains. Since when do four-stripers fill those billets? The only four-striper in the Blues is the CO.

Oh wait, they are Marine Corps Captains, equivalent to Navy Lieutenants.

Never mind.

54Phan
4th Dec 2014, 18:37
That reminds me off the story of a pilot taking off in an F4U and executing a roll once safely airborne. The tower came on the horn "Who's flying that aircraft?" The pilot replied " Captain So N So." The tower asked "Navy or Marine?" The pilot replied "Navy." The tower said "In that case, nice take off, sir!"

stilton
6th Dec 2014, 09:16
Did he narrate his 'runaway' :eek:

M609
6th Dec 2014, 13:54
What? Slow speed runway excursion in a fighter aircraft? Shocking......

Iīve seen this a couple of times at Bardufoss, twice in with aircraft that did it after it jettisoned the chute, or the chute collapsed. (F-16 and Jaguar)

Runway lenght might be irrelevant if the aircraft braked and reduced speed to itīs normal taxi speed on a part of RWY with OK friction, then only to find that the last 1000ft or so to be slippery at the same time as you start to turn to exit the runway. Que fishtailing etc.

BOAC
6th Dec 2014, 14:15
then only to find that the last 1000ft or so to be slippery at the same time as you start to turn to exit the runway. - ah! Memories

1) Exiting R09 at Leuchars in my Frightening in the middle of a winter's night and entering the ORP to turn off to then complete a 360 on sheet ice I was not warned about. PS I don't think anyone noticed my landing lights sweep around St Andrews and the sea.............

2) Some years later, exiting R36 at KEF, and that was the night we all discovered (again un-published) that the last 1000' was NOT grooved and was sheet ice. I don't think my co-pilot knew what happened (insufficient briefing time :)) or how I got round the 90, but it involved significant asymetric thrust :) Company dullard tried to bollock me ("You must have been going too fast" - er - "Yes, I think is QED?....") but a NOTAM was issued that night.

glendalegoon
6th Dec 2014, 14:24
First off, this could have happened to any plane capable of using this airfield.

I've flown in this type of wx and conditions. SOMETIMES the airport reports slippery areas.

SOMETIMES they don't, but you learn that the turnoffs are the place you can really lose control. The end of the runway can be slippery too as de/anti icing fluid can shed off the wings as you rotate and leave the runway on takeoff. So the departing airplane may contaminate the runway for the landing plane.

THIS could easily have been anyone on this forum. That it happened to be the famous blue angels might make us laugh, but SHOULD make all of us more careful.

I witnessed an airliner, turning off at KBUF in the depth of winter, ATIS reporting that the turnoff and ramp were POOR braking due to ice.

This particular airliner started sliding towards the terminal building but used its TRs (thrust reversers to you euros) and stopped.

The Hornet doesn't have the luxury of thrust reverse.

Indeed, a wise airline pilot, when given the LEGAL opportunity to depart without thrust reverse (due to mx issues but legal on MEL) will NOT take the plane to places with ice and other airports like MIDWAY in the winter.

So. There you go. Doesn't look too bad. Does look like you should follow this advice...

ALWAYS COME TO A COMPLETE AND TOTAL STOP ON THE RUNWAY before attempting to taxi at airports where ice is possible. FULL STOP, not one mph .

Il Duce
6th Dec 2014, 14:30
Blue Angels Hornet skidded. Of the runaway, there is still no sign.

sandiego89
8th Dec 2014, 12:48
What's the hurry to get into Brunswick (no longer an NAS with A-gear BTW) in icy conditions to promote a show 10 months away.

I'm sure it to get all the important logistics started. Really critical stuff. I recall a bunch of us first responders waiting for the Blue Angels advance team to show for what was billed as a vital safety brief but the team was about an hour late. After they showed up we spent about 2 minutes on safety stuff, then about an hour on vital team logistics: how many courtesy cars did they have? what type of car? Tell us about the gym you have reserved? what type of equipment did the gym have? did it have a sauna? Free weights ? you know we dont fly with G suits so free weights are critical? tell us about the hotel, do we have a separate wing? Has catering recieved our approved menu? What fresh friut will we have?....on and on....yes I get they are special and you need good rest and prep for a show, but it was a bit much for us :yuk:

To his credit, the F-16 demo pilot sat through all this and as an afterthought, he was asked if he had any special requests by the now worn out show organizer, and he replied something to the effect, "nah I'm good, what time should I show up for the pilot brief.."