PDA

View Full Version : Where did he come from?

FleurDeLys
3rd Dec 2014, 09:51
:confused:
BBC News - Norwegian and Russian military jets in aerial near miss (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30306641)

PingDit
3rd Dec 2014, 11:14
Doesn't say where or when although the HuD does clearly show it to be the Bodo QRA!

TEEEJ
3rd Dec 2014, 11:51
Google translate from the following Norwegian link. Apparently the incident with the MiG-31 happened last year.

The video is filmed from the cockpit of a Norwegian F-16 aircraft, and is taken up in international airspace last year.

It shows how a Russian MIG-31 fighters suddenly folds into front of one of the Norwegian F-16 aircraft from 331 Squadron.

The spontaneous reaction from the Norwegian pilot says it all about the drama:

"In hell!" He exclaims - before he pivots plane left in a tight evasive maneuver.

- We have seen some cases of behavior in the air from the Russians to show that they did not like that we are there, says Lieutenant Colonel Goran Hoel, commander of 331 Squadron in Bodø, to TV 2 , which first publicized the video.

Unik video: Så nær er russiske og norske jagerfly langs norskekysten - Forsvaret - VG (http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/forsvaret/unik-video-saa-naer-er-russiske-og-norske-jagerfly-langs-norskekysten/a/23346710/)

The following Norwegian released video also shows Su-34 Fullback.

Tu5bBGSTUd8&feature=related

3rd Dec 2014, 12:12
I keep looking at it and can't decide ...has that Mig (in the original clip) got his wheels down?

Courtney Mil
3rd Dec 2014, 12:49
I think I see what you mean, 622, but I think not. I suspect you're looking at equipment suspended under the fuselage. Remember the gear on the 34 is huge, with 2 wheels on all three undercarriage legs. I reckon the gear would much more obvious from that angle, if you see what I mean.

Edit to add: Although it would make some sense out of his move to roll out in front of a Norwegian fighter.

3rd Dec 2014, 13:01
I only wondered, because to me (and I am no expert!!), it looks the the Mig is wings level, so wondered if the F16 was just a bit quick in the catch up due to the slower (than expected) flying Mig and had to make the jink to miss!

Courtney Mil
3rd Dec 2014, 13:21
Yes, good thinking.

N2erk
3rd Dec 2014, 13:57
I thought the same re wheels and wings level when I first saw it- looks like someone misjudged the overtake! good visident tho!!:ok:

Looked again- if that's the speed bar on the left, looks like F16 slowing down, drops about 16kts when it rolls in behind again. drop the gear and give'em something to think about.

Speedstra
3rd Dec 2014, 14:07
The F-16 pilot was locked to another A/C 1.7 miles away on the right heading the same way. The MiiG-31 came up from behind. Check six!

Just a spotter
3rd Dec 2014, 14:16
Could be the airbrakes on the 31 are extended.

I thought the MIG came from behind and above the F16, which might explain the Norwegians surprise and reaction.

JAS

TEEEJ
3rd Dec 2014, 14:46
I agree it looks like the airbrakes on the MiG-31.

See airbrakes at 0:30. Deployed in flight at 04:18 and 05:03.

dvP0VsmWCAk&feature=related

Photos: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-31BM Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-31BM/1528187/L)

Photos: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-31 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-31/2493618/L)

N2erk
3rd Dec 2014, 15:06
Nice video & pics- learned something today- have to learn how to read a HUD also!:) Not that I'll ever need to tho...:ok:

HAS59
3rd Dec 2014, 16:28
It used to be the case that an aircraft 'intercepting' another without any form of verbal communication would lower their undercarriage to indicate no hostile intent. This was usually done on the port side of the aircraft that was being 'intercepted'.

If the 'intercept' was done at speed and on the starboard side they were sort of telling you to "clear off".

Reinhardt
7th Dec 2014, 10:13
In any case, the F16 didn't check his 6 properly, and was caught from behind !
The Mig manoeuver was exactly the one we used to perform, "jumping" for behind and usually above, on an unsuspecting aircraft. Flying close and fast, then immediately after climbing again, to make him think about what would have been the meaning for him in real warfare. There was other words than "jumping" the other aircraft, which you will guess...
Flying in pair, in battle spread formation, was one way to protect yourself (also ECW, provided the incoming aircraft had something like a transmetting radar)
Those encounters used to happen at low altitude, in uncontrolled airspace, even if they were quite discouraged by hierarchy.
Out over the ocean, in the blue, anything can happen.
I remember a couple of accidents, with one of the aircraft losing control, and crashing in the sea, sometimes with no ejection... and that did happen on both sides, and was sometimes "blue on blue"
Navy pilots from aircraft carriers were in the best positions for those encounters...

bobward
8th Dec 2014, 17:13
Doesn't Foxhound have missile rails under the intakes, similar to Flanker? Is this what can be seen on the video?

Onceapilot
8th Dec 2014, 18:13
Check-six!
Always look for number 2, 3, 4 etc;)!

OAP