PDA

View Full Version : RAF officer influence in developing USAF gunships

chopper2004
2nd Dec 2014, 18:58
Just reading through Wayne Mutza's 'Gunships, The Story of Spooky, Shadow, Stinger and Spectre'. In Chapter Three , Little Brother , on page 62, the author talks about the refined computerized fire control system that would be sued on the AC-119K Stinger and AC-130A, developed by the Air Force Avionic Lab. The design of the FCS is credited to an exchange officer, Wing Commander Thomas C Pinkerton.

Cheers

Robert Cooper
3rd Dec 2014, 02:39
There is a memorial to Wg. Cdr. Pinkerton at the National Museum of the USAF.

Bob C

ICM
3rd Dec 2014, 10:54
I doubt it merits any memorial but, when one of my C-141 Nav colleagues went off to do his Vietnam tour on the AC-130, circa 1971, he took a RAF-issue Douglas Protractor that I'd given him and I understand it proved very useful on nights over the Trail.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Dec 2014, 11:49
At the risk of thread deviation and annoying salad dodger,
Vice Admiral Sir (Henry) Percy Douglas, 1876-1939 (http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/henrypercydouglas.htm#.VH8GXmBFBcs)

Davef68
3rd Dec 2014, 12:06
There is a memorial to Wg. Cdr. Pinkerton at the National Museum of the USAF.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/050331-F-1234P-027.jpg

NutLoose
3rd Dec 2014, 15:59
developed by the Air Force Avionic Lab. The design of the FCS is credited to an exchange officer, Wing Commander Thomas C Pinkerton

What a strange idea, designing your own avionics system in house without the need to make a profit or satisfy the shareholders.
Whilst also getting a product that is totally tailored to your needs without any frivolous add ons, cost over runs and results in something that is fit both for purpose and cheaper than anything you would get if you put it out to contract...
On top of that you retain and develop people within the Military organisation that can rise to any future needs and offer back up and support without some excessive bloated contract or design authority nonsense...

It'll never catch on.
:E