PDA

View Full Version : RAF VR(T) OASC

destinationsky
1st Dec 2014, 10:23
Hi everyone,

I have had a look at other threads and can't find anything on the VR(T) OASC process?

I have just passed my SIFT interview with my wing OC so the next step is OASC at Cranwell. Has anybody been through the process recently and could offer an insight into what I can expect?

Thanks in advance.

downsizer
1st Dec 2014, 11:18
Might get better results here, from actual VRTs.... Air Cadet Central - Air Cadet Central Forum - Category Index (http://aircadetcentral.net/acc/)

teeteringhead
1st Dec 2014, 12:11
Alternatively, look at RAF site; apart from medical and fitness test, the process is the same as that undergone by Regular candidates.

Air Cadet Central can be a touch old-fashioned in their ways!

(Eg. "Never had it my day (1970-odd??), so why do we need it now!)

downsizer
1st Dec 2014, 12:40
Air Cadet Central can be a touch old-fashioned in their ways!
(Eg. "Never had it my day (1970-odd??), so why do we need it now!)

A bit like here then.... :zzz::}:)

Old-Duffer
1st Dec 2014, 15:42
You will get a great deal out of the VR(T) version of OASC, whether you pass or fail.

Preparation is essential and I don't mean a couple of days before, glancing at a newspaper and listening to the news for five minutes.

Passing the OASC is just the start and then comes the Officers' Initial Course (OIC), albeit just a week but on return you should have a mentoring programme in place to help you.

I think an OASC based approach gives a young officer candidate greater credibility within both the RAFVR(T) and when dealing with the real air force. I'm glad the VR(T) introduced this and candidates remain as officer cadets until they complete OIC.

Old Duffer

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Dec 2014, 16:00
OICs used to have a couple of ex-regular Officers, now VR(T) (typically schoolteachers), who are asked to go on the course to help guide the majority. This worked pretty well when I did it.

destinationsky
2nd Dec 2014, 11:42
Thanks for the replies gents.

I've had a lot of the "didn't have to do OASC in my day," but I'm all for it. Heard a few minority stories whereby VR(T) officers have experienced negativity from regulars as they are seen as "inferior." As previously mentioned, it does give a bit of credibility to the rank attained.

I want to do as much prep as possible but I would like to know what I need to prepare for. There is a lack of new Officers in my wing who have been through the process recently so I'm trying to expand my search a little! Will have a scan through the suggested forum and see what I can find

bobward
2nd Dec 2014, 11:55
DS,
You seem to have got your priorities, and act together, good luck at the course.

I did my VR(T) course many years ago, so won't offer any advice on it. However, if you remember that you have two ears and one mouth, and use them in that proportion, you won't go far wrong. Enjoy it, and learn from it, as it's all good stuff you can use outside the ACO.

Old-Duffer
2nd Dec 2014, 14:59
Things to prepare.

Sound knowledge of the RAF, its aircraft and current commitments
Good knowledge of current affairs - and I don't mean which so called celeb is doing what and to whom!
Sound understanding of the ACO and its organisation and principal movers and shakers.
Ability to speak confidently and with authority
Good understanding of the basics of leadership principles - SMEAC etc
Think before you speak
If asked an opinion, stick with your answer even when pressured to change it
Present yourself as well as you are able, sit up straight - first impressions
In leadership exercises, support the leader but offer help if its all going pear shaped
Be prepared for question like - 'what was the most difficult thing you ever did Bloggs', 'tell me Bloggs why do you want a commission', 'what will you do if you fail this time, Bloggs' 'what qualities do you bring to the party Bloggs' 'what are the qualities expected of an officer Bloggs'
Don't hog the discussion sessions but offer your views and opinions and pay attention to what others have to say.
If questions are being asked of Snooks, be prepared for them to say 'and what do you think Bloggs'

Your Wing should be offering you practice interviews and actively preparing you for this - if they're not, tell them Old Duffer said to get it sorted!!!!

O-D

3rd Dec 2014, 09:19
..assuming you have a wing. ;)

My course was too far back to be of any significant help now, but as said above the best advice is the 2 ears and one mouth comment..and that stands good outside the AC movement as well!

Old-Duffer
3rd Dec 2014, 11:04
Come on 622!

Somebody/organisation must have processed the candidate's paperwork etc and given them a filter interview and for example, I was on the interview board for a civilian gliding instructor from a VGS, who was affiliated via the ATC regional organisation.

Anyway, if the individual can't find a suitable mentor/guiding light/willing adviser for him/herself, perhaps they're not suitable to hold Her Majesty's Writ??!!

Old Duffer

teeteringhead
3rd Dec 2014, 12:05
And if "622" might perhaps refer to a VGS at Upavon - rather than the RAuxAF's only transport Sqn (Valettas at Blackbushe from 1950-53!) - then the answer is Dorset and Wilts Wing! ;)

3rd Dec 2014, 12:07
I was just being pedantic! ;)

VGS bods were (I don't know if it still works that way!) as you say processed through by Region - we used to miss out entirely on any wing involvement and so never had any prep before hand.

I expect its all tightened up now, but the Region interview in my day was not exactly taxing.

teeteringhead
3rd Dec 2014, 12:22
Region are not directly involved any more; after Wing interviews, the candidate goes directly to OASC (or not, as the case may be!)

That said, a random Regional Commandant - not necessarily yours - presides over the VR(T) OASC Boards and makes the final yes/no decision.

heights good
5th Dec 2014, 07:39
Give your nearest RAF stations a call and ask to attend the Commissioning Club. This will give you the opportunity to find out the latest info on OASC from people who have been through it recently?

Ask to speak to the Media and Communications Officer or the Station Adjutant; they should set you on the right track.

Best of luck, it is hard going but worth it.

HG