PDA

View Full Version : Jeppview on a Macbook???

OTTO_FLY
1st Dec 2014, 01:05
As middle age approaches and I become lazier/softer, I'm a bit over doing amendments every couple weeks and dragging around the equivalent of a dead body in my flight bag so I think its time to do away with paper Jepps and move forward with an electronic version. I however have a Macbook and I understand that Jeppview is only Windows operated......

I guess that I am not the only one in this situation so was wondering what people do about this out there. Has anyone had experience or feedback about running windows through their Macbook? I don't really want to run windows just for Jeppview.

Or if there is a thread already about this (I have had a quick look but couldn't find what I wanted) that I can be directed to.

Thanks in advance for any HELPFUL info in regards to this!!

Capt Claret
1st Dec 2014, 01:28
Otto,

I run JeppView on my iMac & MacBook Air, as well as on two iPads. The licence allows 4 installations, and I'm using all 4.

On the Macs, I run Parallels, and within it run a virtual windows PC. At the risk of telling you how to suck eggs, Parallels allows one to create a virtual PC, using any one of a number of operating systems, all using the Mac hardware, hence it's called a Virtual Machine. I only run windows for JeppView, a particular Excel spreadsheet which uses Macros, and Hema Maps.

I'd reckon if you had an iPad or two, you could avoid loading JeppView onto a virtual PC, by using JeppFD or JeppTC on the iPad, as all the info is there, you can print from the Apps if needed. The only time I open JeppView on the virtual PCs is to run the updates.

Bankstown Boy
1st Dec 2014, 05:05
Agree with Capt Claret - except i use VMWare Fusion - it allows your mac to run JeppView as though it was a mac piece of software (technically it it still running it in windows, but you don't "see" the interface - you just get an icon in the dock for Jepp).

Personal opinion - Fusion is best if you have just or two windows only programmes (like Jepp), and Parallels is better if you want to actually have a windows desktop on your mac.

AerocatS2A
1st Dec 2014, 05:42
I do the same as Claret. Parallels will let you run programs without "seeing" windows but personally I prefer to have a Windows desktop so I don't use that function. I think I might use the same Excel spreadsheet he does, plus Jeppview, and MYOB.