PDA

View Full Version : Squadron Leader Chris Fynes

jpsbiggles
30th Nov 2014, 13:48
Sad to have to let you know that Chris Fynes, well known during his full career as a helicopter crewman, passed away this morning after a long illness.

Tiger_mate
30th Nov 2014, 21:26
Very sad news. Chris epitomised the phrase an Officer and a Gentlemen. Few people who have travelled his career path did so in such a pragmatic manner keeping their ego and feet firmly on terra firma.

He did my first ever trappers ride; the only sortie I ever left the chocks in a field in Germany. .... and yes I was directed to ensure the wheels were replaced inside the chocks at the earliest break in tasking without physical human input. Lesson learned, along with a confidence retaining comment of: " There are those who have, there are those that will, and there are liars".

I never did it again, though skids on the Griffin helped!

RIP

Evalu8ter
30th Nov 2014, 21:38
An utter gentleman; I could only hope to deal with a serious illness with the dignity and humour that Chris did. I will miss his counsel, his effortless charm and, more recently, his good humoured Facebook posts that epitomised his spirit. Rest easy - they don't make 'em like that anymore.

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2014, 22:07
I had no idea, I'm very sorry indeed to hear of this; I'd lost touch with him some years ago. I served and flew with Chris on 230 Sqn at Gutersloh over three decades ago and he was a very good crewman and crewman leader, and a good mate, too. Boy, did we have some good parties in his MQ cellar bar back then!

RIP, old chum. My heartfelt condolences to those close to him.

stumblefingers
1st Dec 2014, 06:48
I was his Flt Cdr at OCTU, and served with him on various SH units over the years. A generous friend, and a fine example to his peers and juniors, he will be sorely missed. RIP

lsh
1st Dec 2014, 08:13
Very Sad News
I owe a huge debt to Chris
A Great Guy

lsh

charliegolf
1st Dec 2014, 09:46
He was my crewman leader for a week (he was moving on as I was arriving). He did my 'theatre qualification', and his debrief was, "You'll do!" Oh that they were all that short! His reputation went before him. RIP.

CG

seafuryfan
1st Dec 2014, 09:59
I was posted to Sek Kong with ‘baggage’ from my previous tour. It would have would have been simpler for a Boss of his age and position to listen to the nay-sayers and play safe, but Chris didn’t give a damn about gossip. Instead, he challenged me by offering a step-change in responsibility with Standards and Tactics roles, placing his reputation on the line by so doing. I went on to enjoy a rewarding career on SH due largely to his guidance and support. Chris also proved his mettle by rescuing sailors from the South China Sea, during which he ingested considerable amounts of oil at a cost to his health. For this job he was awarded an AFC.

Chris Fynes: ‘A good bloke to go to war with’.

huge72
1st Dec 2014, 17:36
He was my first crewman leader when I joined 72 in 1980 at Odiham as a young Sgt crewman and then again in 1990 on my third tour on 72 this time at Aldergrove. His wise counsel helped me throughout my SH years both from a professional and personal perspective and in my final years service as a commissioned ALM leader, albeit on Fixed Wing, I aspired to follow his fine example when dealing with all from the Sqn Cdr to the most junior airman and if I achieved half the respect that he earned over his career then I feel I did OK. I have too many fine stories and anecdotes for this forum but suffice to say they will be recounted by many in the near future. RIP Chris you were a fine example to us all.
Huge

Torchy
1st Dec 2014, 21:33
Awful news. Knew Chris for a very long time - lived opposite him and Gail in Laffans Road. Lost contact when he moved from Hook to Wales. Great chap and a terrific story teller. Does anyone have Gail's contact details?

teeteringhead
2nd Dec 2014, 06:12
Very sad news indeed. I too had no idea he was poorly. We go (went :() back a very long way, will delve into the early log book(s) to see when I first flew with (the then) Sgt Fynes.

Top bloke in every way. RIP.

[Edited to add:]

Found it - 12th January 1973 in XT 675 (a Wessex, obviously!) doing a TS cat with Taff Walker at Odiham....... blimey - that's nearly 42 years ago .....

ewe.lander
2nd Dec 2014, 07:50
Desperately sad news. First met Chris in the mid-70's when I joined 230 and he was a F/Sgt on 72. Always able to guide us young clowns out of trouble - usually in the Mess! Fun to be with on exercise - with a dry sense of humour that most of the Wessex boys seem to possess.

RIP Chris - thanks for the good memories.

Q-SKI
2nd Dec 2014, 09:29
Such sad news, one of the best. He was my crewman leader out in Gutersloh in the early eighties, no better boss since. Both he and Gail looked after us young uns and our families and set the bar for anything else to come. Thoughts to Gail and family. Does anyone have any details of any upcoming service?

Oldsarbouy
2nd Dec 2014, 15:23
Whilst Chris and I didn't always see eye to eye during our tour in HK I always had the greatest respect for him as an SH crewman. Sincere condolences to Gail.

Thud_and_Blunder
2nd Dec 2014, 19:26
I begin to dread traipsing through PPRuNe pages and finding threads like these; it always seems to be the fellas you wish would stay around that are being written about.

Arrived on 72 a few weeks after Chris' commissioning, but it took me several months to catch up with him in rank. Stumblefingers, you have my thanks for helping to ensure that we junior drivers were as well looked-after as any young crewman. Chris was always good value, and did his fair share of detachments and other drudgery that people in his position could probably have chosen to avoid. Last saw him in Laarbruch around 1997, when he came over to introduce us to the 'new' concept of CRM. Thoroughly engaging proselytiser for the idea, despite having a churlish 'bona-mate' station commander in the audience.

Thanks for letting us know, jpsbiggles.

jpsbiggles
3rd Dec 2014, 09:38
A couple of you have asked for funeral arrangements and Gail's contact details. The funeral is not arranged yet but contact details:

Holly House
Fairfield Road
New Romney
Kent
TN28 8HS

[email protected]

Xercules
4th Dec 2014, 11:40
I have just been asked to post that Gail is finding telephone calls difficult at the moment but would welcome emails. The address I was given was the same as that above except with the addition of a full stop between Gail and fynes thus [email protected].

She has also read the tributes posted here and is thrilled by them.

jpsbiggles
8th Dec 2014, 08:40
Hi all, just got an email from gail and the address was: [email protected] without the full stop. Possible she has 2 addresses but this one certainly works.

Xercules
14th Dec 2014, 21:05
Through my extended contact with Gail I have been asked to post :

Chris’s funeral is on Friday the 19th December at 2pm at St Nicholas Church, New Romney? Everyone is welcome. The address for the church is Church Lane, New Romney TN28 8AS. His widow has asked that there are no flowers but donations to RAFA would be appreciated.

seafuryfan
19th Dec 2014, 21:44
Shortly before today's service of remembrance, Chris received a SH send-off in the shape of a Puma flypast over the church - complemented with a blue sky backdrop and saluting crewman. You did well, chaps :ok: