PDA

View Full Version : Hope things are ok at Catterick

NutLoose
29th Nov 2014, 11:15
On news, M1 closed following explosion nearby

BBC News - A1 road closed near Catterick after 'explosion' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30258728)

Tankertrashnav
29th Nov 2014, 16:17
Very confused reporting here. if the explosion was believed to be at or on Marne Barracks (formerly RAF Catterick) then closing the A1 and diverting traffic through Catterick Village, as appears to have happened according to the report, would actually bring traffic closer to the barracks. Odd.

Davef68
29th Nov 2014, 16:27
That sounds like a classic ambush tactic.

Al R
29th Nov 2014, 17:43
I suppose they have to go somewhere. Ah, Catterick. Running up and down the peri-track alongside the A1, warm hearted ex army truckers going past waving greetings with their wrists and offering warm words of encouragement. Trash, you must have done the occasional Gandale Gallop (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=605000) up there in your time.. or did you have one of the chaps carry one's thunderstick? ;)

Wander00
29th Nov 2014, 18:26
Too much to hope that a potential terrorist might have scored an own-goal

taxydual
29th Nov 2014, 18:50
Total overreaction.

As a former Traffic Control and Safety Officer (post RAF) on that stretch of the A1, I'll lay odd's that it was a HGV tyre blowing out.

They go with a BIG bang.

Years ago, manning a Landrover with an ARC 52, we 'controlled' the Vulcans destined for burning into RAF Catterick. Short runway, Vulcans on fuel mins, max braking. The odd 'bang' from a tyre exploding certainly 'rattled' the locals.

Sun Who
29th Nov 2014, 19:19
Apparently not an exploding HGV tyre:

Detonators found while part of A1 remains closed after 'explosion' near Catterick army base - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/part-of-a1-shut-after-explosion-near-catterick-army-base-in-yorkshire-9892427.html)

Sun.

taxydual
29th Nov 2014, 19:40
Well, maybe I have got egg on my face. However, I'm still not convinced.........but.

"Please note these are NOT the cause of the original explosion which remains unexplained, but were found during the searches today," the statement added."

Tashengurt
29th Nov 2014, 19:44
Total overreaction.

As a former Traffic Control and Safety Officer (post RAF) on that stretch of the A1, I'll lay odd's that it was a HGV tyre blowing out.

You're not wrong but in that case you normally find a carriageway full of rubber and an HGV parked up a mile or so down waiting for the tyre fitters.

airpolice
29th Nov 2014, 19:45
I did my shortest ever trade training course at Catterick.

One wet day in (November?) 1977 with the fire section and I was qualified to operate a Green Goddess, so off we went on Operation Burberry.

I still have my piece of paper to say that I completed the course.

Krystal n chips
29th Nov 2014, 19:49
That's the second "explosion" in a few days.

There was another on Manchester / Salford but no damage was found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-30189831

The conspiracy theorists cup will doubtless runneth over......as will the Daily Mails headlines.

NutLoose
29th Nov 2014, 19:49
I thought it was probably something like a WRAC popping her zits in the block.

taxydual
29th Nov 2014, 20:00
Tash, spot on.

You're not wrong but in that case you normally find a carriageway full of rubber and an HGV parked up a mile or so down waiting for the tyre fitters.

Then you have to deal with, shall we say 'an over enthusiastic senior officer of a certain law enforcement agency in North Yorkshire'.

My ex-colleagues (who I chatted with tonight) spotted rubber debris but were over-ruled

Herod
29th Nov 2014, 20:11
According to The Independent, this was based on ONE telephone call. Did nobody else hear anything; could have been a sensitive soul too close to a firework. Mind you, if you want to cause disruption, closing the A1(M) is as good as anything.

Al R
29th Nov 2014, 20:23
Nut,

WRAFs simply weren't allowed at Catterick until the mid 80s, bizarre to think now.. but I guess that was 30 years ago and no longer the yesterday I would like to think it was! I remember one particular instance of multiple reports of an explosion at Aki; it turned out to be Concorde going supersonic.

Wander00
29th Nov 2014, 20:50
About Jan 84, just found out to be my last course on IOT staff, end of a "first Saturday" walkabout for the junior course. arrived at the layby to board the coaches when the first police car and fire engine arrived, followed by just about every fire appliance in Lincolnshire. Brant Broughton retained crew arrive 20 mins after everyone else. Turned out coach driver had been sitting in the coach in the layby with the engine running to keep him warm, a dirty injector meant the exhaust was a bit smoky, and a passing motorist went on CB (remember that) to tell the world that a bomb had gone off in an RAF bus..................

Tankertrashnav
29th Nov 2014, 22:01
Al R - Gandale Gallop? The name doesnt ring a bell, although we certainly did our share of running around on the airfield on what was then called the 'J' course (Junior Regiment Officers' Course). Firing para-illumes from a 2" mortar on the airfield was fun in an east wind, with the parachutes drifting down over the A1!

I read through that link - how times have changed. No regiment officers under 23? I was 18 when I was considered fit to become a flight commander on a regiment squadron. I'm not daft enough to think I was ready for it then, but after 18 months (including 6 months active service in Aden) I reckon I was reasonably up to the job, and still only 19.

As a species are we maturing earlier physically but later in all other ways? It certainly seems that way, or are we are just less inclined to give responsibility to our young people?

Al R
29th Nov 2014, 22:25
You just reminded me of the night that 51 Sqn's Scorpion's used para-illum on the training area and almost burned Richmond to the ground. Gandale was the camp about 6/7 miles from camp and all exercises finished with a detoured 12/14 mile gallop back to Catterick, up and down the dales and usually back via the Swale for good measure, and then bunny hops around the airfield to finish off. Steel helmets, boots of iron, Gimpys, hideous 58 pattern webbing, 'marching order' large packs.

Those were the days, no human rights.. being chucked out of bed at 0430 and being beasted around the airfield twice before breakfast was all part of the game. The budget was different then, as was the training mentality.. out of 35 or 40 or so who started, 5 finished. If you see the JROCs and TGs going through Honington now, they seem to be twice the muscle and bulk we were then. The range of kit they have to master today is vast too, certainly compared to what I had to use.

thing
29th Nov 2014, 23:49
As a species are we maturing earlier physically but later in all other ways? It certainly seems that way, or are we are just less inclined to give responsibility to our young people? Nail on head IMO. I'm currently teaching my nine year old grandson the gentle art of plastic kit modelling. He handles a surgical scalpel with ease and safety because I've taught him how to do it properly; a fact which horrifies friends. I'm also teaching him how to fly, he can hold heading and altitude as well as I can (no clever comments thank you!) Can't reach the rudder pedals though...I've thought about stilts, I think they might work.

rh200
30th Nov 2014, 06:20
'll lay odd's that it was a HGV tyre blowing out.

They certainly do go off with a large bang, not as big a one as a 52" haul truck tire though:p

al_renko
30th Nov 2014, 06:26
Just checked the BBC report and picture shows two camouflage soldiers wearing hi viz vests!

4mastacker
30th Nov 2014, 08:38
Was there a dining-in night going on at the time? Mess cannons perhaps?? The "bang" was reported at about 03.00. Or somebody rolling a thunder flash under the door of Trap 1?

Heathrow Harry
30th Nov 2014, 09:21
"Just checked the BBC report and picture shows two camouflage soldiers wearing hi viz vests"

Couple of years ago I was driving from 'Bushe to farnborough in the middle of the day - just past the Engineers barracks at Minley a couple of NCO's in hi-viz jackets and waving those mini-light sabre traffic batons appeared in the road and stopped the traffic - a shout of "All right lads!" and about 40 engineers in full combat kit with guns, camouflage , blacked up faces etc, come out of the shuberry by the road and rather shame facedly sprinted across to the wood on the other side

It took some time to get started as all the motorists were in tears of laughter

diginagain
30th Nov 2014, 10:28
Just checked the BBC report and picture shows two camouflage soldiers wearing hi viz vests! Because it's really funny when someone gets run-over when in their working rig - which does just what it's designed to do.

NutLoose
30th Nov 2014, 10:34
Turned out coach driver had been sitting in the coach in the layby with the engine running to keep him warm, a dirty injector meant the exhaust was a bit smoky, and a passing motorist went on CB (remember that) to tell the world that a bomb had gone off in an RAF bus..................

Ahhh, RAF coaches, remember them well, we went from Bruggen to Jever for TLP. The MT put on the only transport they had available... A 56 seat coach for 6 of us... Pulling out a ratty and back on to the autobahn we looked around and said in unison where's Ivor? Peering back we could see him standing at the top of the on ramp looking at us disappear into the distance... Took about an hour to get back to pick him up, he was not amused.. :E

pzu
30th Nov 2014, 15:31
No mention of Catterick or the A1 in this piece from the 'MAIL' !!!

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

sandozer
30th Nov 2014, 15:52
Put it down to the old Sprouts, Gas! Gas ! GAS !!!

Wander00
30th Nov 2014, 15:58
Nah, just its norf of Watford

NutLoose
30th Nov 2014, 16:05
At least no one appears to have been hurt, that's the main thing.

salad-dodger
30th Nov 2014, 17:08
At least no one appears to have been hurt, that's the main thing.
That's because nothing happened! Move on, nothing to see.

S-D

Al R
30th Nov 2014, 17:34
Mystery of loud bangs heard in Swansea and across the country | South Wales Evening Post (http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Mystery-loud-bangs-heard-Swansea-country/story-24929136-detail/story.html)

al_renko
30th Nov 2014, 17:45
Remembers me off the the story of the pilot who just stepped of a flight when a hiz viz professor approached and asked why he wasn,t wearing his hi viz,he replied along the lines,if you can see me why do i need a hi viz!

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2014, 18:00
Just waiting before they issue hi-viz to SLF.

salad-dodger
30th Nov 2014, 20:32
Just waiting before they issue hi-viz to SLF.
I'm surprised you don't already have your own, suitably emblazoned with your former rank, (RAF Retired) etc and your post nom's. Would look a real treat boarding your next cruise.

S-D

Ian Corrigible
30th Nov 2014, 21:51
Mystery of loud bangs heard in Swansea and across the country | South Wales Evening Post

Mystery solved by the good folks at the Mirror: Russian supersonic airships (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-explosions-loud-bangs-heard-4721711).

Some suggested it sounded like 'aircraft sonic booms' and pointed to Russian airships that were performing 'routine military exercises' while passing through the English Channel

I/C

chopper2004
30th Nov 2014, 23:23
Sure it was not Aurora ? :mad: I mean lifting off from the UAV Parc at Aberporth lol

Cheers and glad alls well that ends well

Pontius Navigator
1st Dec 2014, 05:43
Salad-fidget, carry on , amuse with your wit, I am sure the others enjoy your humour. Farewell and don't forget the bum wipes.

jonw66
1st Dec 2014, 10:39
Wit and humour are not salads strong points Pontius.

Shack37
1st Dec 2014, 11:13
From S-D

I'm surprised you don't already have your own, suitably emblazoned with your former rank, (RAF Retired) etc and your post nom's. Would look a real treat boarding your next cruise.

PN was too modest to say....

"With all that information it would no longer be hi-viz"

NutLoose
1st Dec 2014, 11:13
Wit and humour are not salads strong points Pontius.

He has a strong point? PM me if you see it, I would be fascinated to see it as well.

Wyler
1st Dec 2014, 12:05
Total over reaction by the Police. I bet the place was crawling with risk assessors, H&S types.
16 Hours?????
What a joke.
I hope someone gets a huge kick up the arse for this. :mad::mad:

Wander00
1st Dec 2014, 12:59
So do we know what actually happened, or is it all shrouded in secrecy to keep egg off faces

Hangarshuffle
1st Dec 2014, 14:32
Police and Security Forces are expecting attacks, possibly thought one was developing at Marne, hence reaction.
We have been warned for months. It could come from IRA/Republican groups, Islamist based groups of many hues.... we in the UK will always have many enemies.
I'll let the cops off for the inconvenience and hope they remain safe and continue to guard us.

MATELO
1st Dec 2014, 14:45
So do we know what actually happened, or is it all shrouded in secrecy to keep egg off faces

I heard... that a soldier heard an explosion whilst on guard at 3am (ish), so reported it. He was a credible witness and give a very good account of what he heard.

The police then closed the road after confirming it wasnt a burst tyre or an accident and found a bunch of "old detonators" whilst doing a search.

They sealed off the area and called in Bomb Disposal and they blew the detonators up and made a search to see if any more lying around.

Not a taps nose moment by any means though.

Wander00
1st Dec 2014, 16:06
Sounds a reasonable response. Surprised not more - anything - about it on TV

jonw66
1st Dec 2014, 16:52
Ominously quiet here Nutty

NutLoose
1st Dec 2014, 17:37
:E

On_The_Top_Bunk
1st Dec 2014, 17:58
The Daily Mail has got it spot on for once...;)

Were bangs heard over Britain and in New York caused by US stealth jet? | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854551/What-loud-bangs-heard-Britain-Twitter-bombarded-reports-mysterious-noises-military-denies-RAF-jets-cause.html)

Tay Cough
1st Dec 2014, 18:08
If I were the designer of that stealth jet, I'd probably be having a bit of a rethink at the moment... ;)

salad-dodger
1st Dec 2014, 18:29
Ominously quiet here Nutty

Ominous (adjective): giving the worrying impression that something bad is going to happen

I can't begin to take on the combined stereoscopic wit of you two ****wits!

S-D

Tashengurt
1st Dec 2014, 18:29
Strange decision to criticise the police for overreaction to an explosion outside the perimeter of our largest Army base at a time when the threat is judged to be severe.
The alternative was?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

NutLoose
1st Dec 2014, 18:33
Bury ones head in the sand and listen to Salad D?

salad-dodger
1st Dec 2014, 18:49
Seems a bit of a non-story to be honest Tash. I'm not criticising the decision to close roads etc btw.

I'm far more interested to know what was behind the noises heard the length and breadth of Britain (and beyond). Didn't hear them myself, my head was still ringing with the sounds of Twickenham after we crushed the Aussies at Twickers. :}

S-D

Simplythebeast
1st Dec 2014, 20:22
TashenGurt, Marne Barracks is the ex RAF Catterick which is a few miles away from Catterick garrison. Even so I wouldnt criticise those who were dealing with the incident acting on all available information at the time.

jonw66
1st Dec 2014, 21:50
Funny as anything Nutty

Courtney Mil
2nd Dec 2014, 09:31
ISIS Capture Top Secret US Spy Plane. Hypersonic Spy Missions Over UK. Even America Powerless to Detect it. Shock, Horror.

teeteringhead
2nd Dec 2014, 12:10
and almost burned Richmond to the ground. Didn't Sherman do that in 1864???????

GreenKnight121
2nd Dec 2014, 14:37
Apparently it was a mid-Atlantic event - my money is on a meteor (falling rock, not missile/aircraft).

I'm just not that into conspiracy theories.

Unknown boom shakes windows in New York and UK - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/unknown-boom-shakes-windows-new-york-uk-article-1.2028357)

Boom shook homes over New York AND UK at same time despite 3,000 mile gap | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2855046/Could-loud-boom-heard-upstate-New-York-related-rumbling-noise-reported-UK-exactly-time.html)

NutLoose
2nd Dec 2014, 15:57
ISIS Capture Top Secret US Spy Plane. Hypersonic Spy Missions Over UK. Even America Powerless to Detect it. Shock, Horror.

Well if that is true, having flown over Catterick and realised what a sh*tehole of a place that is, maybe they will re-assess their ultimate goal of World domination and leave parts of the UK off their grand plan..

Tashengurt
2nd Dec 2014, 16:44
Good point Nutty.
It does though lead to the inevitable question; Luton?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Al R
2nd Dec 2014, 16:45
Nutty,

Stopping and enjoying it from ground level may have given you a different perspective. The village has (had?) three cracking pubs and the bondu on the unit was better than average.

chopper2004
2nd Dec 2014, 17:37
OTTB,

So looks my off the cuff remark could hold some truth (is out there :cool:) then lol :mad:

Anyway in a report I laid my sweaty paws on at an airport or railway station somewhere around in Europe awaiting my ride, I read that supersonic high speed is the NEW stealth......

Cheers

Tankertrashnav
2nd Dec 2014, 21:34
Well if that is true, having flown over Catterick and realised what a sh*tehole of a place that is, maybe they will re-assess their ultimate goal of World domination and leave parts of the UK off their grand plan..

Had two very happy years there when it was RAF Catterick - cant speak for its new incarnation as Marne Barracks though. After the first dining in night I attended there, there was a move around 1am to go the 'Cavalry Club' which turned out to be the local name for the all night transport caff in the village. I seem to remember the hotel by the bridge over the Swale was quite good too. Perhaps my view of Catterick was affected by spending 6 months in Aden mid-tour - now that really was a sh*teholeof a place!

Funny how different people have different perspectives on bases - on another thread I've only recently been defending Marham which is another generally disliked station.

Perhaps I'm easily pleased!

Herod
3rd Dec 2014, 13:02
TTN, I've always maintained that the best thing ever to come out of Aden was HMS Intrepid on 30th Nov '67 (Independence Day)

Lima Juliet
6th Dec 2014, 21:08
I wonder if the bang had any connection to this last night? Often these types of things are tested first before doing it for real...

"A gas canister has been used to blow a cash machine out of a wall of a bank in Bolton.

Staff at a nearby Asda supermarket in Hillview Road, Astley Bridge, heard a "loud bang" at about 04:20 GMT, then saw four men driving off."

LJ :confused:

gsa
7th Dec 2014, 08:33
I seem to remember the hotel by the bridge over the Swale was quite good too

It burnt down earlier in the year and during the rebuild got burnt a bit more, it's due to reopen again in the spring but it's been a sorry state for a while.