PDA

View Full Version : Charity Flying

Ian_Wannabe
27th Nov 2014, 22:48
Hello,

I have been given the opportunity to offer 30 mins of flying for a well known charity as a raffle prize but am a bit concerned that I may be infringing on some laws in relation to being a PPL holder.

I won't be taking payment for the flight, I will be paying for the fuel and aircraft myself but strangers will be paying for a "voucher" of which the proceedings will go to charity.

Does anyone know of any laws that mean I can't do this?

Thanks

Duchess_Driver
27th Nov 2014, 23:20
In which Galaxy will you be doing this....??? Different rules apply in different Galaxies....

However, to be on the more helpful side

https://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx/default.aspx?catid=1428&pagetype=90&pageid=8147

or google "CAA Guidance Charity Flights"

if you're in the UK.

matspart3
27th Nov 2014, 23:23
In the UK, details can be found in the AICs at NATS.org.uk

This link won't work for long http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-EEFA8F4C089639B9D1B5DE0C7840447A/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIC/W/104-2012/EG_Circ_2012_W_104_en_2012-07-12.pdf

ChickenHouse
28th Nov 2014, 07:01
Each galaxy does have it's own interpretation of the issue. I advice to look at the local authorities webpage, or the AOPA-Galaxy-of-yours site. And never try to figure out, if you are flying N-Experimental on ICAO PPL in EUdSSR ...

Heston
28th Nov 2014, 07:32
Not in a permit aircraft and only from licenced aerodrome. Otherwise OK if pilot receives no money at all and the benefitting organisation really is a registered charity.

I had to explore this myself sometime ago and had to refuse to do it on the licenced aerodrome and permit rules.

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Nov 2014, 09:53
Not in a permit aircraft and only from licenced aerodrome. Otherwise OK if pilot receives no money at all and the benefitting organisation really is a registered charity.
There's more to it than that, anyone proposing to do this must read the full rules.

PA28181
28th Nov 2014, 10:30
Agree with the above, just read the AIC and all is clear, wonder how this fits in with the proposal that PPL's can within an "ATO" be allowed to take members of the public up on trial flights. (Hope it's true) not a lot of difference I'd say.

Ian_Wannabe
28th Nov 2014, 11:42
Hi - Thank you for your replies and links.

I think I have it understood now but to give you more information I would be flying a privately owned G(UK) registered PA28 from a licensed aerodrome on a PPL.

The charity is registered and all proceeds would go to the charity in question, no money to myself. :ok:

S-Works
28th Nov 2014, 13:53
Read the whole notice. You need to meet the experience requirement as well.