PDA

View Full Version : Biggin Hill - BoB Pilots' Pub

Fg Off Bloggs
27th Nov 2014, 09:52
Help please! Can anybody help my grey matter recall the name of the pub visited during OASC selection at Biggin Hill (late 60s). I recall it was fairly close to the airfield and it had a blackboard or something with the signatures/autographs of all the BoB pilots stationed there in 1940 (and who drank in the pub).

Names on a postcard please to:

Fg Off Bloggs:sad:

NickB
27th Nov 2014, 10:03
The Whiteheart?

BEagle
27th Nov 2014, 10:21
The White Hart at Brasted.

Don't bother though - it's now an utterly charmless, soulless and sterile 'stylishly refurbished' gastropub lacking in any atmosphere or links to its former history.

One reviewer wrote What have they done to a well loved pub? All the history of Biggin Hill pilots has been lost. I wish I had not returned as my memory of a once loved pub has been destroyed. The staff were just not interested in our complaints and the manager was not available..

Fg Off Bloggs
27th Nov 2014, 11:06
Many thanks, Chaps!:D

Bloggs

teeteringhead
27th Nov 2014, 11:16
Close NickB - but no cigar!

It is/was the White Hart at Brasted. It has been "modernised" :yuk: and sadly the blackboard with signatures is no longer there. :(

The good news is that I believe the Blackboard to be alive and well at the nearby Shoreham Aircraft Museum (http://www.shoreham-aircraft-museum.co.uk/) which has lots of other B of B stuff. :ok:

BEags!]

Basil
27th Nov 2014, 11:19
Shocking historical vandalism. I don't recollect going there - which could be an oxymoron.

Even the new :yuk: Tommy Ducks in Manchester kept a couple of pairs of knickers as a nod to history.

Glad to read that the board was preserved, so less shocking :ok:

goudie
27th Nov 2014, 12:00
Some good news re pub memorabilia. The Belle, formerly the Peartree, in Bassingbourn village closed down but was re-opened by some local businessmen. Fortunately they preserved the pictures etc from the time the Americans were at Bassingbourn and the making of 'The Memphis Belle' hence it's new name.

treadigraph
27th Nov 2014, 12:45
I visited the White Hart perhaps 10 years ago and a replica of the signed blackout board still hung on the wall then. Otherwise it was pretty much as BEagle describes.

Around the same time I went to the Jackdaw at Denton, between Canterbury and Folkestone, famed for a cameo role with Ms York in "The Battle of Britain". A much nicer pub with good food as I recall.

sitigeltfel
27th Nov 2014, 12:53
ISTR a pub nearby that was frequented in the late 60s by bikers at the weekends. Was that the White Hart?

Just had a look at some dire reviews on the place and it seems to be one of those eateries that require you to order your food and pay for it before eating, along with setting your own table. Never a good sign.

skua
27th Nov 2014, 12:58
There is another pub which was frequented by Biggin's BoB pilots, much nearer to the airfield, which lacks a blackboard and is not so famous - The Old Jail on Jail Lane. Last time I went (c 5 years ago) it was still a lovely country pub. Can't remember how much memorabilia they have though.

FantomZorbin
27th Nov 2014, 13:04
A very many years ago, I went to the White Hart whilst on a Flying Scholarship at "Biggin on the Bump" ... I can assure you the significance of the situation was not lost on this callow youth while I sipped my ... ahem, lemonade and gazed at the black-out board.

BEagle
27th Nov 2014, 15:59
ISTR a pub nearby that was frequented in the late 60s by bikers.....

Perhaps the Blue Oyster.....:ooh: ??

NutLoose
27th Nov 2014, 17:35
I think the blackout screen is now at Shoreham

The Shoreham Aircraft Museum (http://www.shoreham-aircraft-museum.co.uk/)

Danny42C
27th Nov 2014, 18:16
I remember seeing a picture of the Blackboard: one of the signatures on it was Paul Ritchey (later the Wing Commander who sailed with us in the "Stirling Castle " out to Bombay), so adding colour to the fairy-tale we had been told about a new Spitfire Wing to be formed in India. The idea was that we were going to cover ourselves with glory in a coming "Battle of India".

Of course it never happened, there were no Spitfires out there then :suspect:; it was one of the many "pups" sold us in those times (but it kept us happy for a while).

D.

tarantonight
27th Nov 2014, 21:16
The Eagle in Cambridge is well worth a visit. The RAF bar at the rear has lots to keep you there - history at it's best. Don't forget to look up at the ceiling.

TN.

Pontius Navigator
28th Nov 2014, 08:24
The Blue Bell at Tattershall Thorpe has its original decor and signatures on the ceiling. Totally unmodernised despite several changes of ownership.

spooky3
28th Nov 2014, 09:50
content-board_zps9266f35b.jpg Photo by egnsean | Photobucket (http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/egnsean/media/content-board_zps9266f35b.jpg.html)

Fg Off Bloggs
28th Nov 2014, 15:37
Thanks, spooky3, just a bit too small and not enough pixels to expand it either! Anybody know of a larger one?

Bloggs:8

PS. Bloody hell! A Google of 'White Hart Battle of Britain blackboard' brought up an image of Kiera Knightley's right nipple! How does that work?

thing
28th Nov 2014, 22:40
Just as an aside, Great Massingham WWII airfield in Norfolk is still landable on the original runway. There is an excellent pub in the village called the Dabbling Duck. I doubt the village has changed at all since the war. The church still has original 14C pews in it. Well worth a visit, it's in Pooleys.

N2erk
29th Nov 2014, 00:39
Bloggs- nice tip (with a 'p') I tried that and saw the same images- which direct you to Pprune.org! Others have been down this path.

I did OASC Biggin Hill just before BofB Sunday, 1969. I asked around as to the pub where the remaining 'few' gathered on the 15th, duly travelled down by train early on the evening- and saw- a vast number of bikers and no-one that remotely resembled anyone I expected to see! I always thought I went to the wrong place. Now this thread tells me I got it right, and I'm not the only one who saw bikers.

GreenKnight121
29th Nov 2014, 03:33
Specifically, this thread: http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/237688-battle-britain-film.html, first mention of KK post #42, first pic of KK post #57, nipple pic post #90.