PDA

View Full Version : Well this is what I am going to do!

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
22nd Sep 2001, 22:17
I have been mad on flying since I was knee high to a pile of JAR ATPL books, now that I am 23 and have a pile on my floor this is what I am going to do.

I quit work a few months ago and I am working on the books every day. I have saved up most of the money needed for the CPL IR MCC and the rest has been made up from a HSBC loan. If I get a CPL I will be over the moon just for the fact that I love flying and I now hold a CPL "full stop". So, if there are no jobs going well ok I get my old job back or work in Tesco or something. In a month, year or two years we will know the state of play with regard to the job market. If it is terminaly bad then ok I take up another path in life, but I still have my CPL and I will still love flying. And if and when there is a recovery in a month or a year or two years or longer, if your name is not down your not getting in.

Well that's me anyway.

foghorn
22nd Sep 2001, 22:59
That is the correct attitude to have.

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
22nd Sep 2001, 23:35
Thanks Foghorn, good luck :)

EGDR
23rd Sep 2001, 00:38
That's right, if all else fails a pig-headed refusal to look facts in the face will see us through , baaaaa.....

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
23rd Sep 2001, 01:21
Well there we go, first post on PPUNE and I get called "pig headed" I have been using the site for about a year or so and decided to make my first post tonight because I felt I may have something to offer.

:)

Right Way Up
23rd Sep 2001, 01:27
Read your own advice!

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. '

DiverDriver
23rd Sep 2001, 02:01
200v me thinks EGDR was quoting from Black Adder. Sounds like you've made you're decision and it doesn’t seem like you have a unreasonable game plane. You might want to rely on your own self-belief from now on save keep getting bad vibes from those who might not share your optimism. It’s a gamble at the moment and none of us really know how things are going to turn out. Keep your eye on the target or the obstacles will come thick and fast. ;)

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
23rd Sep 2001, 02:22
Guys, ok I think perhaps I should of shut up. But for what it's worth:

My point is that even if I don't get a flying job, I will be happy because I will have some sense of pride in completing all the hoops in gaining my CPL IR. You may not think that means much, but it will to me.I will be able to use those skills for the rest of my life, I will get a share in an aircraft and enjoy my flying as a past time(I have done it before I can do it again). One day I may get lucky but lets get one thing clear, I do want it I have always wanted it and I will never give up. One day there will be a seat in a jet with my name on it, and if you don't all have that faith then I doubt you will ever make it. And well if I don't make it I know I gave it 100%.

over to you.......

DiverDriver
23rd Sep 2001, 02:35
As I said 200v, sounds like you have a good mind set on what you want to achieve and what you consider will constitute a success. Not to different for me either. Good luck. TTFN :) :)

crackerjack
23rd Sep 2001, 07:59
I think Mr 200v will find that a positive attitude makes its own luck.

Go for your life dude!!!!!!

Unusual Attitude
23rd Sep 2001, 16:08
I'm with you 200v, I made my decision last year when I quit my job to study my ATPL's and no matter how bad things get I'm sticking with it.

I've now 200hrs, passed my ATPL tech's, sitting my Nav's in Nov and booked in for my CPL/IR in Feb.
I've put so much time, effort and money into this that even if I have to stack shelves in Tesco's and deliver pizza's for the next 5 years I'll do it.

However it turns out, at least we can say we gave it our best shot which is more than most people ever do.....

Best of luck to all the other Wannabees in the same boat, we'll get there in the end, it just looks like it'll take a bit longer now !

Besides, I like a challenge, life would be boring if it was too easy ! ;)

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2001, 17:05
Stick to your guns your not a fool mate. You will be trained when the CEP's clog up the schools because the bean counters missed the train.

MJ

rnobson
23rd Sep 2001, 17:30
Stick to it Jock You'll get there If I can do it ANYBODY Can

Robbie

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2001, 17:35
Failure isn't an option m8.

Thanks for your support

MJ

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
23rd Sep 2001, 18:15
It'is good to know that there are few die hards out there as well. It is going to be differant for everyone, some people will have to fund 50K all in one hit and yeh caution would be the moto of the day. But for others, the risks have been spread out a bit and our eggs are not all in the same basket.

What do you think will happen to the FTO's in the short term, say the next six months? Do you think prices will go down or up?

Rob 747
23rd Sep 2001, 23:56
Well you guys im in exactly the same boat! ;)

I go full time in a few months! :rolleyes:
Single minded 21 year old boy dreaming of nice shiny RHS's! :rolleyes:
My 15K loan repayments are only 250 quid p/m! So i can work at tescos or Mcdonalds and still have the money to keep current! :D

--------------------------------------------
Failure is not an option!

This is mission impossible!,

Mission difficult would be a 'Walk in the park' compared to this! :D :p :D

Rob

Whirlybird
24th Sep 2001, 00:14
There have been several threads on this subject now. I think it depends on what you want out of life, and how you are funding it. For those of us who are doing CPLS/ATPLs because we love flying above all else, stopping is not an option. But despite what they say, I suspect a large number of wannabes on here don't particularly like flying; they just want a jet job with all the money and kudos and so on that goes with it. Then there's the cost of training. If you've got the funds then you don't have all that much to lose. But if you borrow thousands then you have to get that airline job at the end of it to pay it back; it just can't be done on Tesco's wages. So why not stop calling each other names and so on and see that the fact that we're all wannabes doesn't make us the same. And none of us actually know what's going to happen in the future anyway; all we can do is make a educated guess, make a decision, and then whatever it is, go for it.

Flyerphil
24th Sep 2001, 12:34
Spot on attitude.

This suits you bacause you are only 23 but everyone's situation is different - try looking at this from the point of view of someone who is say 31 has had to re-sit the ATPL's, scraped through the flight training and is married with 2 kids - a bit of an extreme example.

Me, I am not starting until next Summer when things should have panned out a bit.

Nevertheless, you have a fantastic attitude and I am sure, and hope, it will work out for you.

Basically its time to "SH!T OR GET OFF THE PAN"