PDA

View Full Version : Old but useful for someone hopefully

qwerty124444
25th Nov 2014, 04:55
Long time listener, first time caller...

So this list an compilation of things to write up has been in the process for a long time now and it comes after going through a lot of other peoples notes and speaking to a lot of peers and mentors of those willing to give the time and advise to me over the years. Rather than throw out the note taking I had down pat, and referred to at one point or another as I applied for various jobs I made a nice little diary.

I am finally out of the need to hunt for one of these jobs again, although who knows what may be around the corner… SARSII or GFCII may yet prove me wrong.

Unfortunately Aviation is a fickle little game where people expect you to know everything about a company, and for you to “do the hard yards” and look it up, well the information is there apparently. Just not on the website, just not available to someone that you speak to at HR, or just not to you if you actually show up and make enquires.

The fact is that a lot of things I have found are based on who you know and the relations you make. I stress that although it is important to know your **** and hopefully this will be able to aid you in moving forwards, it is grossly more important to be a nice person and make sure that your work demeanor remains professional.

Unfortunately it may take only a little snafu for things to not end up the way you desired, as people (unbeknown to you at the time perhaps) have a lot of influence and direction over your career. Treat everyone with respect and help everyone around you as you never know how things will turn out.

In saying this, it should be noted that I have gone through many more failures than successes, but though each of my failures I have been resilient and moved forward in my thinking and ability to learn something from it. Aviation is a very cyclic and stop-start path. Take what you can at every opportunity and be sure to pass on the lessons learn to those that make effort. While some may criticize me for posting this all in one place, if people make the effort to read this, hopefully it then only comes down to how they apply it.

Please note that this is a guide, the information is very old, it is worth noting while there may be a lot of it, a lot of it will be out of date. Use it as a hand up not a hand out to rely on.

I tried to keep the majority of notes relevant to that in Australia, I respect others choice to go abroad, but you do note a lot of people wanting to come back, you will have far more chance and fun I think being home with people that speak the same language and appreciate the same culture than adapting to one overseas.

Anyway...

GENERAL QUESTIONS I WAS ASKED AND ANSWERED:

Why should we hire you?

While I understand there are other likely candidates that meet the minimum requirements to do the job, you should hire me as I am the best person for this job. (Then give three reasons to why you are the best person – NB// have many more than three reasons as to why you differentiate yourself above and beyond others as this may be asked of you then, or at a later part with another question)

Eg. Because of my passion and enthusiasm to grow and learn with a company, as shown in my commitment to XXX charters (or previous).

Leading on from this passion has been a development in best professional practice, as can be seen from the high testament of my previous employment and letter of recommendation from XXX.

Ultimately I would like to become (what are you goals in the company…) a F/O and shining example to those around me in 5 years and in 10 moving onto being considered for a commend position if one became available. (this should vary with what you want but it is important to consider how you will be perceived in your answering of this, refer to company expansion plans, time to command and what previous experience you have to help guide your answers).

Why did you apply for XX, have you applied for any other positions with other carriers?

Be honest. In this time of knowing that aviation is changing constantly and the only certainty is uncertainty, it would probably be silly to only apply to one, but tell them why you have applied to them today. Tell them about you, tell them about what you know about the company and how it fits together. Broad strokes. This is the time to shine, tell them all the big ticket items you have done, the glass ceiling you have reached, how the company you are applying to fits your next step career wise, and that you are a good worker and it is a good company.

Eg. I am very humbled to be a position which allows me to interview with you, as it is by great chance that you are expanding/hiring. I have worked very hard to get to this point, my whole education and learning life has been about developing best professional practice and adding to my skill sets within aviation. Proving myself with chance and opportunity I have developed a skill set I am proud of but want to further improve. I see this improvement being within XX as (airline background, current and future jargon)…. Fits well into me moving into new roles of responsibility as they possibly emerge.

As a follow up question you may be asked.

Why do you think you would be successful at XX airlines?

(I think it is good to do this as you draw the attention back to the effort and skills that you have on paper, familiarizing them with what you have done, they see myriads of paper, you need to stand out)

As my resume reflects, I have a proven track record of progressing through X Y Z….
This flexibility to achieve in a number of areas is not only a record of my ability to be a good employee but also be a valuable and valued employee.

Catch phrase and key words can be important here. Think of the way you answer and think about what the interviewer is trying to extract.

From an employee, they want someone that 1. Wont bend the metal 2. Will get along with everyone 3. Wont create a negative atmosphere and bitch and moan 4. Is knowledgeable enough, but most importantly 5. Can listen and learn.

What motivates you?

My examples…. Make sure to have others of your own.

*knowing I am making a difference
* performance reviews and targets
* learning opportunities
* the people I work with.

Tell us about yourself.

Very hard question to get right. As essentially there is no right/wrong answer. What is important to remember is the audience that you are addressing.

Usually one HR/Pilot/training or management goon. Balance out the needs and considerations of all of them. Don’t be too technical to leave one out, yet don’t be too blaze when going over important events.

My list.

When I first wanted to fly. Why?
How did I achieve this dream/goal.
Schooling higher education, flight training.
Other jobs you may have had.
Achievements, progression.
Last job, speak in detail, NEVER SPEAK NEGATIVELY.
Over the past x years I have continued to apply myself professionally to the task at hand, increasing in responsibilities. This has seen me go from flying small single engine pistons locally to multi-engine turbine internationally. ((reinforce core values here))
I believe that my progression is because of my willingness to learn, adapt and work hard with others to achieve a common goal.

Buzzwords around the story; hard-worker, quick and eager learner, versatile performer, experienced and flexibility, outgoing.

Logically for me the next step is to find an employer that offers me further growth and potential. This is what I see XX as embodying.

Should take about 2 minutes to articulately convey all this.

Give us three reasons why we should NOT hire you.

This is a very interesting one, where when thought out well you can give the employer all reasons to hire you.

My specific example. You should not hire me for the potential that I do not have jet experience. This being said, it may be of greater benefit to the company for you to hire me without any previous jet time, so I can learn the way to fly from your company and be trained from the ground up.

When answering questions like this, try and think of logical negatives from the employer perspective and then think of the positive spin you can apply to everything. Glass needs to be three quarters full here, do not leave them in any doubt that there may be some disadvantages in hiring you, but you are willing to use those to your and their advantage!

Give an example of a time when you did not agree with someone or they did not agree with you, and what was the outcome.

This can be worded very specifically, but you need to think very diplomatically about what it was and what the choice you made did to get the outcome you wanted.

Do not indicate anything safety related where you pushed boundaries or broke rules. This is a very bad example, even thought this may come to mind.

Maybe something about not submitting F and D times at the end of a shift, or having forgot to update your charts at the appropriate time, or having a disagreement with a co-worker about how you interpreted a cleverly ciphered company message.

What are your three greatest weaknesses?

What motivates you to put forward your greatest efforts?

Who was your greatest role model? What are three things you would say sum them up?

When can you start?

ASAP, but would prefer as long notice as possible to not leave my current employer in the lurch, as a courtesy to them. I really appreciate the working relationship I have with them and would like to see them transition a new pilot into the role with the greatest of success too.

Where do you see the industry going in the next 5/10 years and why? How do you think these changes will affect you?

3 things you like about you current job / 3 things you dislike about it?

Why did you do XXXX in your history and what do you think it did for you? Whoulr you have been better off flying straight away?

What have you done before in your previous roles that was not required of you, for work? Why?

Tell me about a time when you felt under pressure professionally.

Tell me about a time you had to work independently?

What is your most outstanding achievement so far to date? Why?

What are the three most important things for you in a job? (don’t say money!!!)
Organisation / direction / ethos
People I work with…
Work life balance, and progression potential.

What would you like me to know about you that is not on your resume?

If asked about negative information on anything do not give anything. Politely stonewall. While we all may have worked for bosses that have worked us to the bone, remember this is your new potential boss. If he sees you bitching about your old boss there is no way he will hire you! Show enthusiasm to be in the interview and loyalty to the company you work for, but a willingness to move on.

Buzz words that are good to memorize and fit into answers and solutions that interviewers like to hear.

Having the ability to:
Think clearly
Logic
Creativity
Synthesis facts, compare and draw conclusions
Generate solutions
Flexibility
Agreeable
Good listener
Articulate
Team player
Motivate
Trustworthy
Good judgment
Excellent follow through
Energy / passion
Resourcefulness
See things as challenges not obstacles
Pattern of personal achievement
Results orientated

If not hired what will you do?

Continue on in my present role. Consolidating the skills I have, and with any feed back you are able to provide I will work on strengthening my candicacy for a position sometime in the future when again competitive.

Questions for the employer?

What additional features to the line pilot flying would you see me fulfilling? Are there any professional development roles within the company that you offer?

How soon would you be looking to start me if I was successful?

After interview. Thank you for the opportunity to come in and tell you a little more about myself. If there is anything further you require, please don’t hesitate to get in contact.

INDUSTRY SPECIFIC:

CAS: COBBAM AVIATION SERVICES.

FORMALLY NJS (National Jet), is responsible for charter, contracting offering a range of aviation solutions.

9 specific business units of Cobham.

There are six divisions in the aviation sector.

Airline services (RED TAIL) – B717-200
Based; Brisbane, Darwin, Cairns, Perth, Canberra, Sydney.
Freight and
Mining (BLUE TAIL) – BAE 146 various.
Based; Perth Adeliade.
Avionics and Components
Engineering
Special Mission (DH8)
Based; Broome, Darwin

Red tail – contracted til 2018 under new agreement contracting to qantas, callsign q-jet, carry over 1.5 million pax annually.

Desinations include: Alice springs, Darwin, Gove, Ularu, Cairns, Brisbane, Gladstone, Mackay, Rocky, Adeliade, Learmonth, Perth, Karratha, Broome, Pt Headland, Paraurdoo, Kalgoorlie, Newman.

Information current at the end of 2013:

Fleet 717 > 13 bodies with another 5 on order for BN, SY, CB bases.
146 >15 bodies with various retirements and scrapping of frames due to time life.

Express Freight Australia (EFA – QANTAS FREIGHT)

Basic pay structure:
75k starting salary
78k year 1 (3-5k in allowances tax free)

5% performance bonus possible in the past.

3-5 years to command over the last 10 years or so, however, is maybe slowing down.

50 hours on average per month.
3-4 nights or trips per week.
18k endo cost to be paid up front, training provided by Qantas. Effective ½ sponsorship.

Basings:
Melbourne 737 (5)
Sydney 767 (1)

Destinations.
Perth
Brisbane
Townsville
Hobart
Launceston
Cairns
Sydney

Wellington
Christchurch
Auckland

For the most part these are all return trips with multiple stops involved.

Approx times 2100-0800 Although there is variance on these timings.

Phone interview with 2 personnel.
Sim ride in Melbourne and further assessment.
Hold file.
Start date.

JETSTAR:

“All day, every day, low fares”
What this means: more planes more places, more people, more pilots.

JQ group:
JQ AUSTRALIA. 100% owned.
JQ Pacific: 27% Vietnam – not sure anymore.
JQ ASIA: 49% Singapore – being shut down.
JQ Japan: 33% QF group – again not too sure as equity has changed the structuring.
JQ Hong Kong: 33% - if you believe management. Not yet in existance.

75 million pax from 2004 – 2012

20 Million in 2011 alone.

400 employees started the company in 2004. NZ 2005.
8000+ as of today.
3000+ flights per week.
56 destinations.
17 countries.

79 aircraft – again not sure on this now.

JQ Australia – Melbourne based HQ.

17 Domestic destinations.
Adeliade
Ballina-Byron
Brisbane
Cairns
Darwin
Gold Coast
Hamilton Island
Hobart
Launceston
Mackay
Melbourne
Melbourne Avalon
Newcastle
Perth
Sunshine Coast
Sydney
Townsville
Whitsundays – prosopine.

15 short haul long haul overseas destinations.
Cambodia
China
Fiji
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Japan
Macau
Malaysia
Myanmar
NZ
Phillipines
Singapore
Taiwan
Thailand
USA
Vietnam

65 aircraft in Australia/NZ.
Approx 45 A320s 6 A321 4787s A330 retiring.
25 78s apparently going to be the final number, and the A320s getting replaced by up to 78 NEOS.

Existing EBA.
First year pay: 89k
Second year: 98k

Not including overtime triggers and allowances.

No bond to really consider, and this is covered ad nauseam in other threads.

First year flexi-line = 75% = = 67k

No standby days, 15 RDOs, 7 days off in a row assured, Annual leave of 6 weeks availiable, work for a day off is around 700+.

TIGERAIR:

Formed: 2003, started in Sigapore 2004. Australia Started 2007.

Two other bases: Indo, and Philipines (indo now closed I think).

72 destinations.

12 Domestic:

Cairns, Mackay, Sunny Coast (seasonal), Brisbane, Gold Coast, Coffs, Sydney, Hobart Melb, Adeliade, Alice Springs, Perth.

Rob Sharp CEO.

3rd of July 2013 re-branded TigerAir.

1st of July new cargo contract… although nothing really heard about this.

November 2014 100% virgin acquisition announced.

Old contract conditions:

FO 83 base.
Per flying hour 40aud
Loss of license, 1500 pa
6 weeks leave
6 URTI days
approx 700 hours pa
10 rdos per month
no real overnighting.
Apparently 19+ frames on order
Time to command is expected at 5 years
Staff travel at 25 aud standby (not inc baggage)
MELB SYD BRIS basing.
Challenges to environment, just like JQ:
Standoff bays, contracting check in and other staff, ipad integration, very early starts, back of the clock flights, lots of management changing, not yet a sustainable business model in its own right.

I wish you all with your careers, and what ever the airline or operator you work for please remember to be professional about your work, unfortunately the shiny jet syndrome, or whatever you choose, does wear off, it is not about reaching the top as quickly as you can, but also enjoying and helping out those friends around you. Make as many as you can and hopefully remember to be friendly too when on this forum posting to others.

Kind regards.