PDA

View Full Version : EK Resignation Tips

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dropp the Pilot
25th Nov 2014, 04:01
There has been a bit of movement lately. Might those who have pulled the pin recently and feel generous be induced to post a few things they have learned?

Were you able to send the proceeds of your provident A and B directly to an account of your choosing outside Dubai, or was it rendered to you here in dirhams whereafter you exchanged it and sent it away?

How much of your Provident was withheld until you were rendered righteous in the eyes of the company? When was that last bit paid to you? After you left?

How far in advance would you recommend closing out local credit cards and/or loans to ensure a hassle-free exit? Months before? Weeks?

PPRuNeUser0215
25th Nov 2014, 04:45
I ll add a question.
- What happened to your leave if you had some during the notice period ? And after the notice period ?
Was it canceled ? Taken by you ? Paid ? Or were you offered a choice of what to do with it ?

Buford
25th Nov 2014, 05:00
Great idea for a thread!

Dropp the Pilot
25th Nov 2014, 05:20
Leave you have taken but not accrued is paid for in cash by you. Third-hand information but someone who left last June had already taken six weeks leave in the first half of the 2014. One of the last things the company presented him with was a bill equivalent to three weeks salary to pay for the leave he had taken but not accrued. He had to scramble to put the cash together as he had already closed his accounts.

As I said, received third-hand so maybe someone could verify.

fourgolds
25th Nov 2014, 05:39
What about certifying of logbooks. I was told they will not do this as its " policy" , this is required by many future employers. Would appreciate any advice from those who have left as to how they got around this requirement at their future employer.. Pm is also ok. Tks.

thrustidle74
25th Nov 2014, 06:29
I haven't left yet but wip. We are thinking about summer 2015.
I have a doc written by a guy who left 3-4 years ago but my neighbour who left last month says its still current and very helpful.
It basically outlines what needs to be done in what order. Apparently if you close your local account too soon you'll have some problems. This doc helps avoiding those issues I was told. I haven't read it myself yet.
If interested pm me your emails and ill happily send it out.

thrustidle74
25th Nov 2014, 06:31
Re logbooks I've done it this year while converting to EASA. There were no problems. I can't see why it'd be a problem when you resign.

thrustidle74
25th Nov 2014, 06:56
Re Provident fund my neighbour who left last month said he received a cheque, went down stairs and cashed it at NBD. It might have been his decision though, dunno if they'll give you options how to get your provident fund paid.

PPRuNeUser0215
25th Nov 2014, 07:23
Thanks.
Another one.
Reading about the Provident and for people who stayed less than 5 years, End Of Service applies.
It applies at the rate of 21 days per Completed year.
Is it really the case or is it Pro rata ? So if you have done 3 years and 10 months, do u get EOS for 3 years or 3.9 years ( times 21 days ) or just for the 3 completed (and you forget about the .9)

flareflyer
25th Nov 2014, 09:43
How come??? Pilots resigning??? But if everybody wants to join how can you live??? :D:}
You will not enjoy the result of the survey leaving now.......

Kapitanleutnant
25th Nov 2014, 11:08
Anyone ever gotten a criminal background check verification from any authority in Dubai... Police I guess???

K

ManaAdaSistem
25th Nov 2014, 12:11
The leaving procedure starts when you hand in your resignation.
Not when you talk about it here.

boarderdw
25th Nov 2014, 12:43
Cheapest way to ship moving boxes to the US? Thx!

ManaAdaSistem
25th Nov 2014, 12:56
The cheapest or someone you can trust?

GAC - Dubai (http://www.gac.com/Dubai)

Old King Coal
25th Nov 2014, 14:25
Get your pilot log book pages signed & stamped by your airline.

Ensure you take copy of all of your payslips (as certain entities will want proof that you were employed and / or want to confirm what you've been doing for the last several years).

Visit Dubai Police for a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' (you’ll need this, in the UK at least, along with your payslip history, for passing a 'Disclosure' in order to get a UK airside pass).

At least 3 months in advance of leaving, reduce your Credit Card limits down to small values (not the balance per se, but the 'limit' itself) and / or (better yet) return your Credit Cards to the bank, and use your debit card only. Make sure that when you give back your Credit Cards that they give you a receipt that confirms that the cards are cancelled.

Cancel any 'standing orders' against your Dubai bank accounts (current account & credit card accounts).

Cancel your motor insurance and get them to issue you with a ‘No claims’ certificate, this can often be used to negotiate a reduced premium for a 'No claims discount' back in your home country.

Contact shipping company for your personal goods.

Arrange DEWA for closing meter reading.

Arrange Etislut / Du to disconnect your landline / internet.

Arrange accommodation for last few days in Dubai.

Get final salary payment into bank and then close any locally held account(s).

Confirm End-of-Service Gratuity / Provident Fund payment (when, how, to where, how much?).

CAYNINE
25th Nov 2014, 14:34
Also be very aware that if you ask the company to leave a week or two early they will deduct or bill you for the time you haven't served of your 3 month resignation period.

OnceBitten
25th Nov 2014, 15:30
Visit Dubai Police for a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' (you’ll need this, in the UK at least, along with your payslip history, for passing a 'Disclosure' in order to get a UK airside pass).

For guys bailing out back to Oz i believe this is also required for the issue of an ASIC card.

Reading about the Provident and for people who stayed less than 5 years, End Of Service applies.
It applies at the rate of 21 days per Completed year.
Is it really the case or is it Pro rata ? So if you have done 3 years and 10 months, do u get EOS for 3 years or 3.9 years ( times 21 days ) or just for the 3 completed (and you forget about the .9)

I'm also curious to know the answer to this one. The EOSB counter staff didn't seem to have the answer.

CrashDive
25th Nov 2014, 19:17
Once you've completed at least one year of servitude, it's all prorata after that.

fourgolds
26th Nov 2014, 02:59
Does anybody know . What if you are just a few days short of 3 calendar months notice . I understand they will deduct salary and leave for those days . But what about your provident fund ? Can they refuse to pay you their contributions over the years as technically you are in breach of contract for not complying with 3 calendar months ?

Appreciate any info from someone who has had this problem . PM me please if you don't want info on public forum.

Tks

Pilot_Recruit
26th Nov 2014, 15:39
Another one to add to the mix, if you resign before your bond has expired, does the entire sum of your provident (A+B+C) go towards clearing your outstanding bond or is it only your contributions?

Mister Warning
26th Nov 2014, 15:56
Fourgolds - when I left I could only give 2 months notice instead of 3. I was docked a month's pay ie. I worked that last month of my 12 years for free. Thanks for your service.
On the other hand I burned up my outstanding sick leave. Oh, and leaving was the best command decision I ever made. :ok:

Lubeoil
26th Nov 2014, 17:11
A warning for anyone with kids planning to leave in the summer:

If you leave Dubai in the summer at the end of the school term the company will screw you for school fees.
The situation is that Emirates divide the school fees by the number of days in the term (they include summer holidays of Jul/Aug as pert of term) and base the allowance on this. If you leave at the end of June at the start of the school holidays they will screw you for 100% of two months school fees to cover the money they claim they have paid the school for fees for the summer holidays. You couldn't make this sh*t up but after getting it all explained to me by the education people I ended up out of pocket by a fair few quid. This was even after getting confirmation from the school that fees paid were to cover school term and not holidays. Just another example of how this lot screw their employees and another sign of the contempt they have for their staff.

DCS99
26th Nov 2014, 17:34
Including July and August as school term?

You have got to be joking.
But I know you're not.

I was told to be careful with the 21 day calculation as well for EOSB. I will dig up my note on that. It's not how you or I would calculate 21 days...

Al Murdoch
27th Nov 2014, 04:29
I was wondering about the 21 days too. I get paid the same amount in each month regardless of the number of days, so how do they calculate 21 days worth? Maybe (monthly payx12/365)x21?

fourgolds
27th Nov 2014, 05:15
Thanks Mr Warning. Please check your pm.

fourgolds
27th Nov 2014, 08:17
Mr W

Sent it again , tks.

myekppa
27th Nov 2014, 12:41
Sell your car and rent one as soon as you resign.

No maintenance issues.

No insurance issues.

No last minute haggling for a sale.

Hand it back at the airport.

The company process was organised and as advertised. Provident fund and retention money delivered when they said it would be.

Etislut the worst to deal with. I had a personal post paid number that couldn't be switched to prepay with Etisalat, but could be changed to DU keeping the same number. Early planning required as it takes time, a real GF but if you want your old number (or any for that matter) for your last week in Dubai….. Company sim is handed back about 5 days before you finish.

Watch out for school fees and leave. Didn't bite me but it has for others.

Cancel OSN early, or you'll pay an extra month. Same for your internet.

Provident fund shipped in USD to a USD account elsewhere when they said.

Early departures are contractually liable for payment of time in lieu and allowances already paid (housing). It's no different to any other mob and not unreasonable.

Don't expect a personal farewell but that's also up to you.

Gillegan
27th Nov 2014, 16:11
Good advice to read the fine print regarding school fees and leave. HR was helpful in providing the information even before I submitted my resignation (I actually adjusted my leaving date to make sure nothing was owed).

The Provident Fund was paid on time and in full.

The final check bounced (really). There were problems with their US bank account. We arranged for a wire transfer but when I aked to be reimbursed for the bounced check and wire transfer fees, what do you think their response was? (I was just happy to be out of there)

Outatowner
27th Nov 2014, 16:12
The hostie's option 'B' for those who don't plan to ever set foot back here again is to gradually ship belongings home on work trips, take out a massive loan, pick your last trip to home destination and party in the room on the airline's tab. Don't forget to leave the ID card on the bed.....

Kapitanleutnant
29th Nov 2014, 18:54
Regards the Provident fund….

Can this money be sent to any financial institution of your choosing… say a bank in Shanghai for example? Any restrictions?

Thanks

K

Reinhardt
30th Nov 2014, 16:23
What if you plan to go to Israel for retirement / opening a business ?

typhoonpilot
30th Nov 2014, 22:23
Regards the Provident fund….

Can this money be sent to any financial institution of your choosing… say a bank in Shanghai for example? Any restrictions?

Thanks

K

The short answer is yes, as long as that account is in your name.

I imagine that was just a theoretical choice, but you do know that getting large sums of money out of China can be problematic?

TP

ramius315
2nd Dec 2014, 08:00
If you hand in your resignation at 4 years and 10 months, to leave at 5 years and 1 month how is the Provident Fund calculated?

Facts rather than opinion would be greatly apprectiated. :-)

Jolly Foreigner
2nd Dec 2014, 18:01
Anyone any idea how to get a service reference? Apparently EK don't give any sort of reference until after you leave.

777boyo
3rd Dec 2014, 00:00
You'll get a "Service Certificate" letter on your last day when you collect your final salary etc. It merely confirms that you worked for EK, your dates of service, and your position. It does not refer to the outstanding (or otherwise) job you did for the company.

7B

Neptune Spear
3rd Dec 2014, 05:18
Some of the Americans starting to leave now are not even waiting their 3 months. It makes sense since the U.S. airlines are hiring between 75-100 pilots a month. One waits 2 extra months and you are potentially 200 numbers junior. Over 25-30 years and that is huge.
Emirates being Emirates charges the pilots leaving $25,000 but you will be far better off leaving Emirates and starting your career in the US working for a good airline. One Emirates pilot even left for Jet Blue. Shocking but he was on the 330.

kotakota
3rd Dec 2014, 05:30
That makes me laugh , about the Service Certificate . When I left BA ( at 55 ) they also would not give you a reference , good or bad , just the facts . Guess what ? When I had completed my interview with EK , they insisted I provide references from Training Captains etc , which was virtually impossible .
What goes around comes around !!

lospilotos
3rd Dec 2014, 13:02
Just a reflection: A couple of years back it was the "EK interview"-thread that used to top this ME-sub section of the forum. Now it´s the resignation thread... Says a lot doesn´t it...

jack schidt
3rd Dec 2014, 16:46
Put simply Los, many of us would rather be else where now as EK has really turned rather sour. The recent employee survey is for the purpose of an external company to read and try to advise EK on how to protect its precious brand name.

Shiny jets and pretty terminals are worth nothing if you do not have good/happy and contented people running them. The rot has gotten so deep that it will take a lot of effort to turn around this open negativity that the employees feel.

I sense a sure trend south in just about every reason to be in EK and as a result we now see people calculating their escape strategy, rather than the happy days of joining a company that cared for its work force. It took a major upheaval to bring the family out to the sand pit and disrupting them again is a hard decision but one that we will all see as a relief when the time comes.

Jack

lospilotos
3rd Dec 2014, 21:44
Simply put Jack, I agree. Had I known what I have know now 3 years down, I had never joined...

Al Murdoch
4th Dec 2014, 03:26
Ok please let's not turn a useful thread into the usual slanging match - back to the topic please.

Neptune Spear
4th Dec 2014, 12:57
As a 2 year FO I wish I never joined either and I am looking for my escape along with countless others, not just Americans as well.
Things have change remarkably in the short time I have been here but they are getting worse by the day and will get worse in the future especially with Expo coming.
The way the Industry is going we are due a pretty sizable pay raise but I know we will get Jack Schidt again.
I have not counted the resignations in the last couple of months but it has to be over 100 for the year.

harry the cod
4th Dec 2014, 19:10
Neptune Spear

I'm sorry that it's not worked out for you here, many adjust and thrive, some don't. It's a big call giving up something to come out into the sandpit but you've lost 2-3 years. In the scheme of things, not much really and a tick in the box for life's experience. Hopefully you're single so less hassle factor.

As for resignations, the rate for pilots is around 2.5%. That's it. For an expat airline, that's nothing to be concerned over. The cabin crew rate, however, is a different story altogether!

Good luck in your future career!

Harry

Transformers
5th Dec 2014, 15:55
Is it worth getting a lawyer to make the exit plan easier, so they dont take out hard earned Salary away from us (extra fee's)...? Maybe as a group it could make it cheaper and easier...? Please PM me with your thoughts if it suits..!

nolimitholdem
6th Dec 2014, 11:03
If someone's time at EK is considered a loss, it follows that it's a lot more sad to have lost a decade + than 2-3 years. So I guess Neptune isn't the one we need to feel sorry for.

I highly doubt that you're privy to the true attrition rate, Harry. Just a tip, but some of the things said in management wash-ups may not be entirely true.

Any attrition rate isn't particularly meaningful on its own anyway. It's more telling the demographic that's leaving, and even more so - the types they're able to attract as replacements. A ton of experience leaving and not exactly being replaced one-for-one.

Best wishes and congratulations to all resigning. You will find it to be the best decision you ever made and wonder why you didn't do it earlier. You only get one life, don't waste it by giving it to EK.

tornadof3raf
6th Dec 2014, 11:45
If you go on HR direct there is an EOSB page, there is an EOSB calculator. Just put your proposed final day of service and it tells you how much you are going to get.

Anyone know the process for getting dependents Visas/UAE ID cards etc cancelled? Or do is that all part of the EK leaving process?

Just wondered if its easier to get them all cancelled first and then just have them live the final few months on a tourist VISA and keep doing a VISA run....

Also, our car has just had the finance paid off. I've heard you need a certificate off the bank or something similar to confirm that you are now the sole owner. Anyone had any experience with this?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.

ekwhistleblower
6th Dec 2014, 12:58
Just contact the bank, 100 dirhams later you will have a release and then give it to HR to clear the Bank Guarantee letter.

Mister Warning
6th Dec 2014, 13:24
Why all the questions about EOSB? Pilots get the provident fund, not EOSB.

tornadof3raf
6th Dec 2014, 13:48
Not if you haven't done your 5 years.

0-5 years = EOSB + B + C account if used.

5-7 years = No EOSB but 75% of A account plus B and C

7 years + = No EOSB but 100% A+B+C

I think thats correct, please someone correct if wrong

flareflyer
6th Dec 2014, 13:57
Are you guys really looking at leaving????
i wish you really all the best........ i am stuck here.......

OnceBitten
6th Dec 2014, 14:36
5-7 years = No EOSB but 75% of A account plus B and C

Not Correct. it's the Greater of 75% of your A account or your EOSB. Same goes for 7 years, if your EOSB is greater than your A account then that's what you get.

It's all in the Provident Fund PDF.

The only thing that isn't clear is if you resign at 5 years, does your final day after your 3 month notice period need to be after the 5 year anniversary you joined the company or the 5 years from the date when you joined the provident fund? Or does your actual resignation have to be after the date of either joining the company or joining the Provident fund to be eligible for the fund?

Clear as mud!

Mister Warning
6th Dec 2014, 18:36
Sorry all - policy changed since I got smart....

cerbus
8th Dec 2014, 08:33
Fare Flyer

There are plenty of good jobs out there, just look at the want ads so I doubt very much that you are "stuck" here unless it is by choice.
At the very least an Emirates pilot should be looking especially with very dark clouds on the horizon.

FLY BY WIRE
8th Dec 2014, 08:53
What Dark clouds are you referring to Cerbus?

Kapitanleutnant
8th Dec 2014, 09:19
Flybywire…

Do you honestly think it's going to get better here??? By saying that, you're implying it will! Or….. is it possible (100% IMO) they look at any and all other ways to make our lives a bit for difficult, riddled with more ridiculous FCI's, and generally try to squeeze even more blood out of the proverbial rock.

Next will be half pay for all DeadHead's….

Go on believing this is the worst it will get, my friend….. I however agree, dark clouds are on the horizon at this place. Whatever and whenever that maybe…. Ek will always be looking at squeezing us all even more than today, even though colleagues will say, "how much more can they do to us?" And then a few months later…. they find something, somehow, someway to indeed make it worse.

Will the fun ever stop here? :-)

K

Al Murdoch
8th Dec 2014, 13:41
Has anyone had any hassles getting that ridiculous Etisalat phone guarantee (the one for using your phone abroad) removed? I actually don't have an Etisalat mobile anymore, but the guarantee is still there. I don't know where to begin really as they won't even acknowledge that I had an account with them.. Clowns..

FLY BY WIRE
8th Dec 2014, 16:59
Quote:

Flybywire…

Do you honestly think it's going to get better here??? By saying that, you're implying it will!

Quote:

Honestly not trying to imply anything. I don't know anything about it, which is why I asked the question.
I have applied to 'The airline that can't be named', so I'm curious as to the way things are in the UAE for Emirates guys and for guys down the road a bit. That's all.

Temujin
9th Dec 2014, 01:19
Al,

Phone Magida (067144324)
Provide the mobile number and ask for a mobile telephone clearance letter.
She will do all that needs to be done directly with Emirates, job done.:ok:

Cheers

T

Al Murdoch
9th Dec 2014, 02:29
Thanks for the info.

sbradley737
10th Dec 2014, 21:56
I'm only on day two of the resignation process and it has been a mind numbing and hair pulling experience. Links HR send you that they want acknowledged have no 'acknowledge' icon, annual leave destination and cargo destination is completely different to what my ALD actually is (where they came up with LAX when it was NEVER LAX is beyond me) and the lack of reply to email responses is shocking(none so far). Maybe if they put down their phones for a few minutes they could spend some time doing some actual work.

Best of luck to everyone as I am more than ready to leave. If you have any questions over the next few months I'd be happy to answer them as I navigate this process.

Machspeed
15th Dec 2014, 01:34
I have not counted the resignations in the last couple of months but it has to be over 100 for the year.

EK at 4.65% attrition rate.

Machspeed
15th Dec 2014, 01:45
I highly doubt that you're privy to the true attrition rate, Harry. Just a tip, but some of the things said in management wash-ups may not be entirely true.

It's pretty simple to get at least a wag on the "true" rate. Simple Math. But you'll have to have saved previous months Seniority Lists from the FOIP.

It was about 2% for last half of 2013 and it has moved up over the last year increasing steadily to 4.65%. Now it's worrying for those who have to answer why we can't open that new city on time or take a delivery on time.

LHR Rain
15th Dec 2014, 04:56
It is not as simple as watching the senority list and adding up all the pilots that have left.
There are at least two pilots that have left recently that are still on the list, one pilot left last July and he is still listed. I don't know if the company are trying to hide the attrition or is it just incompetence that we are used to.

Machspeed
15th Dec 2014, 15:02
LHR Rain
That's true. That's why I was saying its a wag. Wild Ars Guess. At least it is more true than what we hear I wash up and the millions of rumors in the car. Lol

VLS with ice
17th Dec 2014, 05:47
Heard that 25 ex Ryan air pilots grouped up and handed their resignation in together. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the office that day...if the story is true.

Al Murdoch
17th Dec 2014, 06:32
Heard that 25 ex Ryan air pilots grouped up and handed their resignation in together. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the office that day...if the story is true.
I've heard so many stories of Ryanair pilots resigning that we must be into negative numbers left by now.

Dune
19th Dec 2014, 07:18
Are you able to use leave banked/owed to you by Emirates while within your 3 month "notice" period or do they lock you into working the full 3 months and then paying out the leave balance owed at the end?

Desdihold
24th Dec 2014, 08:00
I was told by a estate agent that uae law allows for the early termination of a lease with just two months notice.

Can anyone confirm this ?

BigGeordie
24th Dec 2014, 08:17
Not quite. You have to give one month's notice and there is a penalty of two months rent. So effectively you have to pay three months rent from when you give notice. Depending on how far below market rate your rent is, your landlord may or may not co-operate with this.

tornadof3raf
9th Jan 2015, 11:23
Regarding Leave, I resigned on the 26th December. I went into the office to drop off a hard copy of my resignation to Fiona and asked about leave. If you have a leave balance left they will either let you take it if leave is available (fat chance) or just pay you the balance on leaving. I just had a request to add my 3 days that i will be owed to my February leave denied.

Been pretty impressed with the process so far. HR Direct turns into a sort of leaving portal. EOS desk in the ESC was pretty helpful too, just get there early as its a busy desk. Main things to note is that Staff travel is no longer DDS. You have to book as normal, then its put on hold until you pay the staff travel desk at ESC. Also FEDEX isn't DDS.

Main thing I need now is a proof of Service to references/security checks for a UK airside pass. I think you only get this letter on leaving EK.

All in all though, the process has been ok...... (so far):bored:

gehenna
9th Jan 2015, 17:46
I am further ahead with the process, and have to agree that so far no problems.

One good piece of advice I was given was to ask the HR co-ordinator to arrange that I view what EK plan to pay me a few days before they do so; that way any discrepancies can be discovered when there is time to resolve them.

You can also ask for a copy of your medical records, although I am still waiting for that to happen.

Good luck ...........

tornadof3raf
12th Jan 2015, 06:55
Thanks for the tip, off to ESC in a few days to sort a few things out. Ill bring up the points you've mentioned. Thanks for the tips, stay in touch. Be nice to have a warning of any further hiccups..... :ugh:

littlejet
12th Jan 2015, 16:16
Do you get to keep the licence?

Kapitanleutnant
12th Jan 2015, 17:35
For those who've gone thru this…. A Couple of questions:

Do you keep your GCAA Pilot License?
Can you keep your UAE Drivers License?
How long will they keep your passport when having UAE Visa taken out?

K

Al Murdoch
12th Jan 2015, 18:34
Do you keep your GCAA Pilot License?
Haven't seen any reference to having to return it. Don't see how they could justify you having to return it? Although why would you want it?!

Can you keep your UAE Drivers License?
Same answer as above.

How long will they keep your passport when having UAE Visa taken out?
You are rostered three days off before your last day in order to have it cancelled and returned.

littlejet
13th Jan 2015, 04:18
Unless you are going home, you need your GCAA ATPL as some Countries and employers require license you used for your current work. Also they need a no accident/investigation letter from GCAA and/or Police. Does anybody have any experience with that?
After all that is YOUR license, you earned it even if you do not need it.

DrPepper
13th Jan 2015, 04:25
What about the bank account and the mortgage?
Can you cancel the visa with an active mortgage?
Thx

littlejet
13th Jan 2015, 04:45
heard from my bank that's possible with the mortgage as they still own the house...but that is maybe just a sweet talk from the bank's cold caller...

777boyo
13th Jan 2015, 10:00
Littlejet -

The required Police report is easily obtained in DXB from the CID Police station on the SHJ Rd. There's a Metro station right outside, but I forget which one. There is a brief form to complete (in Arabic if my memory is correct, but there is a translation office just over the road). You'll also need your Passport with Residence visa, and a photocopy of each, plus a small fee. It takes about 10 days for the certificate to be issued, and you have to collect it in person.(I think they send you a text notification when its ready).

Very simple process and the police were very helpful.

Good luck.
7B

Al Murdoch
13th Jan 2015, 10:15
It's Al Qiyadah station. You can either apply online (good luck with that) or just go straight into the office with you passport, a passport sized photo and a few copies of everything for good measure. The fee is 210AED and it takes about a week to prepare it. You then go back to collect it, they won't post or email it.
Was actually fairly straightforward in the end.

captainsmiffy
13th Jan 2015, 10:21
My wife had to get one of these last year.....quite laughable really. They put a phillipinos picture on it (she is english), addressed her on the form as 'he' (she is NOT a lady-boy before you ask!!!) and the form stated that 'he' had 'been good'. That is apparently what they think another employer will need to read. Oh yes, attempt number 1 was given to us in arabic as well! Well worth the 200 dhs spent.......not!!!!

donpizmeov
13th Jan 2015, 10:28
Don't worry smiffy, not all gals age well. :ok:

The don

captainsmiffy
13th Jan 2015, 11:16
I wont point your reply out to the missus......beautiful as she is!!

Dropp the Pilot
14th Jan 2015, 15:08
When you receive your Provident Fund payout, where does it show as originating from? Does it go into your UAE bank account first to be redirected by yourself or does it go direct from the Channel Islands to your specified target bank?

The reason I ask is that my (European) retail bank won't accept funds from just anywhere as one of the rules in their jurisdiction. It has to be a recognized correspondant bank.

Al Murdoch
14th Jan 2015, 16:07
You can specify any bank account you like for it to be sent to.

Al Murdoch
25th Jan 2015, 09:19
Anyone know why they put you on "Rest Days" after you resigned?
Does this have any impact on FTLs or even overtime payment?
Thanks. Al.

JAYTO
25th Jan 2015, 12:41
Probably to get over the hangover.

gehenna
26th Jan 2015, 02:27
I escaped last week. I arranged for a cheque in AED, which either I could have cashed at the NBD in EGHQ, or just deposited into my local HSBC. From there, I just transferred funds to my UK account.

Just for your info, there are daily limits out of the HSBC, unless you arrange for this to be increased; that just took a couple of days after submitting the request.

Good luck ( from the beach in the sunshine, with no a/c in sight and no fools trying to trip me up)

uba737
26th Jan 2015, 06:45
Quick stupid question regarding the Provident fund for Americans. Does Uncle Sam take a percentage of the money when you sent it home? Thanks.

uba

uba737
26th Jan 2015, 08:15
Thanks Fire Ball! That sucks!!

Dropp the Pilot
26th Jan 2015, 11:04
Is there any advantage (requirement?) to close out local credit cards well in advance to avoid any hitches/holdbacks from the local bank or the company?

If so, how much before? One month? Three months?

If one has a well-entrenched habit of using their personal '@eim.ae' email address does this remain valid or does it get lost when you close out your Etisalat account?

777boyo
26th Jan 2015, 11:50
Dropp,

I was with HSBC Premier. I was told that following cancellation of my MasterCard, I would be required to keep the equivalent of my card's credit limit in my Current account for, if I remember correctly, 6 weeks, "in case of any late transactions turning up". So prior to card cancellation, I then had a battle with the bank when I tried to reduce my credit limit to Dhs5000, which I eventually won, so I was only required to keep at least Dhs5000in my current account following cancellation of my card. Might be a good idea if you check with your bank to see if they have the same requirement.

And yes, I'm afraid you will lose your etisalat email account.

7B

harry the cod
26th Jan 2015, 12:01
Can you can keep the Provident Fund running even when you've left? No further contributions, just keeping it ticking over with withdrawls as needed, still wrapped up as an offshore account.

I'm sure it's written somewhere, just wondered if anyone knew off hand. Thanks.

Harry

Dune
26th Jan 2015, 12:32
For those who are in either rented or your own accommodation (not EK housing), how does the final DEWA bill work to get your security deposit back?

Their website shows you advise them 2 days prior to vacating and they send someone to read the meter and disconnect the services. Once the final bill is ready they send you an SMS to come and pay the final bill and claim your deposit back.

Something doesn't add up as they cannot prepare your final bill until they have cut off your service. Once you cut off service (waiting 2 days for your final bill) you are sitting in your villa without a/c and water in August for 2 days?? Or are you expected to pay for a 1000 dhs/night room in some hotel waiting around for 2 days waiting to have the final bill processed?

I'd appreciate any insight as I don't want to give these prick$ any more of my hard earned money than necessary.

Cheers

BigGeordie
26th Jan 2015, 12:54
They won't produce the final bill until the supply has been disconnected. A cynical person might think this is so they can charge the next resident a reconnection fee.....

So you will either need to move out in the summer and buy some candles or find a hotel for a couple of days. Personally, I'd give them more like a week.

777boyo
26th Jan 2015, 13:28
Harry,

Yes, you can elect to remain in the Scheme as a Deferred Member. Everything seems to stay the same except that you have to deal direct with the Trustees in the Isle of Man. Works fine, but there is a small amount of bureaucracy to go through initially for the Trustees to establish your identity. I think there's a description in the FAQ section of the Provident Fund website - which you can continue to access as a Deferred Member after leaving, and use to make Switches.

The only sting in the tail of electing to become a Deferred Member is that for some reason which I never really got to the bottom of, the monthly Employers Contribution (if I recall correctly) due to be paid in each of your last two months as an EK employee will be withheld and paid to you along with the other funds which are retained when you leave.

7B

Left Coaster
26th Jan 2015, 15:04
DEWA will keep the lights and water on…your landlord (if renting) gets the next bill if I remember correctly. All they do is read the meter…if you own then you'd better ask DEWA! I wouldn't put an awful lot of weight on what you read here!

tornadof3raf
27th Jan 2015, 12:21
Guys,

Moving back to UK in march and the security checking company 'Procius' (for UK airside pass) requested a UAE criminal record check.

I researched and applied for a certificate of good conduct. Cost 210dhs and apply online and go down to head police station to verify identity. All very easy and after a day received a PDF via email of my certificate of good conduct.

Just forwarded it to Procuis and they say they can't accept it. They need something different that has fingerprints or something on it. They keep telling me that there is another form but can't find anything on the police website.

Any Ideas what they could be on about? Very frustrating.......

Desdihold
27th Jan 2015, 12:49
Harry,
There may also be a minimum amount required to keep the account open, I asked the mondial guys sometime back...it may be in the region of $200,000.

Let us know what you find out.

gehenna
28th Jan 2015, 01:31
Folks

For an answer re what you can/cannot do with your provident fund, email Nick Foxton, who looks after the scheme; he comes back pretty quickly, and spends time in the UK and Dubai.

Good luck with your escape tunnelling ....

OnceBitten
28th Jan 2015, 02:32
Been hearing rumours of huge deductions from the EOSB or provident fund if the Gardens of the company accom villa is't returned to its origin state or Maintenance haven't inspected it prior to vacating.

Has anyone had any issues with this and can pass on their experience?

GoreTex
28th Jan 2015, 04:57
friend of mine was charged 10000 AED to remove trees that were already there when he moved in

harry the cod
28th Jan 2015, 06:10
Reading these posts is like attending an afternoon tea party with a bunch of 60 year old gossiping women.

You will be required to put the villa back to it's original state. Every occupier has to do this. Some people may have been given the option to take the garden as is but, when they leave, are still responsible for clearing it again if the next tenant doesn't want the trees, grass, built in BBQ and Olympic pool. All three parties need to be in mutual agreement and a contract will be signed to such effect. It's not always available however, my case being one such example where we too had to remove all foliage and trees that were not part of the original sand pit. It's not a very 'green' policy and hardly in line with the EMvironment bull**** that's spouted about on the EK PR machine and SAFA magazine. I also suspect that certain staff in accommodation department have a nice commission earner for getting in the same Companies to clear it all. In total we paid around 4000 dhs to have the garden done, some internal doors replaced, some rooms painted and glue removed from where we had carpets down. We'd been advised not to re paint ourselves as the Company would still do it anyway and charge us. That was good advice. In all, I think the cost was very reasonable and half of what we'd budgeted for.

But, back to the tea party, the dramatic use of the word 'huge' deductions is hardly appropriate, especially when the EOSB and Provident fund are independent from salary deductions. Perhaps a chat with those in the department will shine some more light on the process and procedures to follow.

Harry

777Goose
1st Feb 2015, 15:23
Any recommendations for a short term, 2 -3 weeks serviced place while doing final out clearance?

tom330
5th Feb 2015, 11:35
Many people I know are happy here. Come on guys, the pay is still better than the United States. You'll just miss home. But since I just have a wife and no kids.. I might feel that way. I do see some future here at EK.

Alconguin Crusader
6th Feb 2015, 11:32
Tom you are seriously out of touch if you think the pay is better at Emirates than a major.
Not only is the pay better the conditions are heaps better in the US.

typhoonpilot
6th Feb 2015, 12:22
Come on guys, the pay is still better than the United States.

Senior DAL captains are making $400,000/year in come cases. 6th and 7th year F.O.s are making $200,000/year.

EK certainly pays better than the regionals and the LCCs, but the gap between them and the U.S. majors is widening substantially over the long term.

TP

gehenna
6th Feb 2015, 12:54
Folks

tom330 is a new kid on the block, as he has admitted somewhere else on pPrune. Give him a chance to see what the real costs are in DXB, and then maybe sense will prevail.

Glad I am no longer in the desert ..................

nolimitholdem
6th Feb 2015, 13:41
Reading these posts is like attending an afternoon tea party with a bunch of 60 year old gossiping women.

Well at least now we know what you look like, harry!

:)

harry the cod
7th Feb 2015, 16:36
Only once a year do I wear a 'skirt' and that's tartan! Still a few more years yet before 60.........;)

As for the pay issue, seen the Delta pay scales, $280 an hour give or take for a 12 year Captain on the B777/747. (max 12 year scale). Assuming 800 hrs per year, I make that $225K? Tax deductions from that? Commuting too maybe?

12 years EK, (9 years Captain with possible 11 more pay scales to go) $215K with housing allowance. Have not included education allowance, subsidised family medical or Company contribution of 15% into provident fund. That latter adds another $22K alone. Colleague here 17 years, TRE. He pulls in just under $300k including housing and PF contribution.

Working harder for sure but pay.........you do the math!

Don't worry AC, just 13 months to utopia! :bored:

Harry

Kapitanleutnant
7th Feb 2015, 17:53
All US legacies are paid hourly rates to include full pay for: Holding, PPC, De-icing (both on and off the gate), Distance learning, Jury Duty etc. As well as getting full pay for being displaced if your trip is taken by a "TRE" (Check airman) to be used for training (and no AD's in place of either!)

I also don't think the wide body captains fly anywhere near 800 plus hours per year.

Kap

harry the cod
7th Feb 2015, 18:28
Basic for the Legacy guys? No, the $280 per hour is what they get. So, if the wide body skippers do less than 800 hours per year, I guess that's even less cash to pay off the 3rd wife! 700 hours would be under $200k. And I wonder how long it took those guys to reach the 12 year scale on the big planes? 10 year B777 F/O I think was around $180? Doing 800 hours makes $144k, quite a way from the $200k quoted. And again, all before tax and deductions.

Jury duty in Dubai? Now that would be interesting! As for deicing, again, not much call for that in the Gulf. All interesting points but hardly run of the mill every day events to plan your pay on, is it? Holding however......now that's a different story altogether!

Harry

BANANASBANANAS
7th Feb 2015, 19:03
Happy to be corrected but I believe the big American carriers guarantee a minimum monthly hours payment (70 rings a bell) whether you fly 70 or not.

uba737
8th Feb 2015, 02:57
US Legacy pilots get their guarantee every month if they fly it or not! Also if you fly International you get some type of override ($4+ per block hour depending on carrier) you also have trip rigs that allow you to fly lets say a 4 day trip that blocks 15 hours in those 4 days but you actually get credit for 25. If you fly over guarantee, most legacies pay that at 150%+ per credit hour!

Alconguin Crusader
8th Feb 2015, 03:28
I don't know why pilots keep comparing Emirates to major airlines. There is no comparison.

Here are just a sample of the items in Major airline contracts;
Green slip
Equipment pay
Canx pay
Vacation pay
Sick pay
Equipment substitution pay
Trip credit
Duty Regs
Night pay
Int'l pay
Holiday pay
Trips missed
Paternity leave
And the list goes on and on......

As has been mentioned the FOs are making over $200,000 a year working less than 75 hours a month. Some Capts are approaching $400,000 working 10 days a month.
I don't know how anyone can compare the airlines unless they have an unforeseen agenda they are trying to drive home.

Oldaircrew
8th Feb 2015, 08:02
What you also seem to forget is that the cost of living in the US compared to Dubai makes any direct salary comparison totally pointless. I am sure that a 3 bedroom house in a nice area of any city in the US does not cost USD1.2mil.

CAT3A
8th Feb 2015, 09:06
Hey everybody,

The name of the thread is EK Resignation Tips

Laker
8th Feb 2015, 09:53
Cat3a,

Good catch. I'm guessing 8 weeks profit share and a 5% increase in base pay.

TangoUniform
8th Feb 2015, 22:53
Gents. A little more thread creep here if you don't mind. Harry's figures, in my opinion are off. One will be taxed on the housing allowance here at EK if one is a US citizen. We are comparing a 92/mo to an average 80/mo (not hard flying due to rigs). So even adding the imputed income of not paying taxes on the first 100k, and adding to a US salary the monthly mortgage rate of a modest 3 bedroom house (not in NYC, SFO or LAX), can't include educational allowance because free education in the US, my figures come to five year narrow body domestic captain at all three major legacies.

One also has to remember that the number of retirements at the legacies that five year captains to that point is NOT out of the question.

So here we are......Wide bodied international captains, and for me 10 years, flying into some would say war zones, challenging airports, flying close to 900 hours a year, lack of contractual, what you probably thought, full leave, 8-10 days off a month, majority of rotations with one sector on the back side of the clock, vacation awarded at four days at a time, no cost of living increases, sick leave that at times has to be paid back later in the month, at the "world's most admired international, we do it better than anyone because of our planes and route structure, top tiered airline" making essentially US narrow bodied domestic 600 or so hours a year captain's pay. And at some Legacies, top range first officer pay.

Options have come available for moi, so this SHOULD be my last year here. Thank you AAR, etal, for turning a dream job into a labor camp type environment job. This is not to denigrate those who have little or no options. The one positive I can say is, not once has the monthly remuneration been late or less than expected. But then again, the Legacies are on time too.

expat400
9th Feb 2015, 06:46
Are you guys comparing apples to apples? How many EK Captains can leave EK and return back home as DEC 777 at Delta?

cerbus
9th Feb 2015, 07:16
But if any pilot was to return home or even leave EK and have a better QOL and make comparable money who cares what airplane you fly or what seat you sit in.
It seems a lot of narrow body captains and some widebody First officers make more than Emirates skippers and have to work less to make that money.
If I could fly a MD-80 as an first officer and make comparable money to be based at home and work less hours; SIGN ME UP! I don't think to many pilots would turn down that deal.

CaptainChipotle
9th Feb 2015, 09:48
I'll fly a dump truck if the schedule is during the day.

EK is getting beyond ridiculous. You're basically killing yourself by working 90+ hours internationally

expat400
9th Feb 2015, 10:10
"If I could fly a MD-80 as an first officer and make comparable money to be based at home and work less hours; SIGN ME UP!"

No problem understanding that. Money isn't everything and I'm also beyond the wide body syndrome. But will it happen? Is starting pay in a US major that high?

I suppose most guys here with 10 years in EK are of an age that would make it difficult for them to reach the mentioned "Capt 777 at Delta" position if they move home so that comparison might not be relevant.

nolimitholdem
9th Feb 2015, 10:19
I was gonna say, none of the comparisons of figures had even mentioned that to earn money working for Emirates...you have to live in Dubai. And work for Emirates. Living in Dubai. Did I mention you have to live in Dubai? And work your arse off for Emirates?

Hard to put a figure what NOT having to do either is worth. But ignoring it in the equation is no longer an option. :yuk:

The folks voting with their feet aren't some coincidence. You only get one life, why live an exhausted one to be at the beck and call of an indifferent, greedy employer? For money? Ok then.

Want me to get the thread back on EK Resignation Tips? Ok, here's my Resignation Tip:

Do it.

nolimitholdem
9th Feb 2015, 10:21
"I suppose most guys here with 10 years in EK are of an age that would make it difficult for them to reach the mentioned "Capt 777 at Delta" position if they move home so that comparison might not be relevant."

No one assumes you'd leave EK and step into the same job in the US.

Guys with 10 years at EK have already been a B777 skipper and made the money. Been there, done that. If you NEED to make that still when you go home perhaps you haven't managed your money as well as you could have. (Or have a lot of ex-wives!) But that's another topic.

Trader
9th Feb 2015, 11:12
I think it was best summed up by a Cabin Crew member who, when asked what he would do for his Najoom work (fyi-they have to set goals or ideas to improve customer service etc) by the Purser responded by saying:

"I will treat our customers in the same manner that the company treats us!"

Absolutely brilliant statement which leaves no response - after all, EK treats their employees well does it not :}

Kapitanleutnant
9th Feb 2015, 14:38
Trader: That's a good one. Kind of a good for the goose being good for the gander…

Tango Uniform: Bravo to you sir…. One of the best and most accurate posts I've read in a long time!! Envious of your impending escape!!

Kap

SOPS
9th Feb 2015, 14:58
Kaptain..check your PM

TangoUniform
9th Feb 2015, 18:21
I will try and reiterate what I said above to make it simple

Here's a real choice if you have the option. Come to EK, get an upgrade optimistically in five years and get all the "goodies" that EK offers...such as, not awarding you the 42 days leave you thought was promised, flying 900 HARD hours per year (half of which will be all night on the backside of the clock), airport hotels in many wonderful cities (CDG, LHR, FCO, MXP to name a few), no additional pay duties outside of the cockpit, aviation medicals done by your employer with no recourse or doctor/patient privilege....oh hell it's been hashed out over and over. And make the same pay as a 5 year narrow body captain at a legacy.

OR

Get hired at a legacy or major airline in the U.S (reasonable to say not all have that option) have a contract to work under, with grievance procedures, have duty rigs and credit, fly in the vicinity of 700 soft hours per year, choose the AME of your choice, expect reasonable vacation awards (not 4 days awarded), get credit and pay of any training, both online, classroom or sim, possibly get a narrow body upgrade (albeit on reserve) and.........make similar money as a 10 year international wide bodied 777, 380, captain.

Tax free for US citizens..,.think again. Taxed on anything over 100k, taxed on housing allowance, and educational allowance (which may or may not be enough), and now forced to live in compounds or take the TAXABLE housing allowance.

The tables have turned in some parts of the world with regard to terms and conditions for the better. I am comparing a major international player (EK) to other major international players. Not the regionals, ULCCs, or startups.

fatbus
10th Feb 2015, 00:31
Nothing against the U.S. guys that are here, but just GO! If its that easy just GO. Up until @2005 there was all of 2 US pilots at EK I think can get by if you left. It's tiring to here the same stuff over and over. The world does not revolve around US legacy carries .

Boeingrestricted
10th Feb 2015, 01:10
I really do fatbus.

But when George or oBomber talks about THE world he actually talks about
the US/europe isn't he?

So it does revolve around the west/US.

Let people bitch and moan. its a natural reflex.

Cheers

uba737
10th Feb 2015, 02:46
Well this is a "Resigning EK" thread, thats why we are here! the 'SUPER' pilot is the one that does not belong in this thread! If you don't want to read it, then don't come to a EK resignation thread, very simple!

Neptune Spear
10th Feb 2015, 05:08
The world doesn't revolve around the U.S. legacy carriers but should we all aspire to have what they have Fatbus?
I don't know if your rant is out of frustration or desperation but I would love to work for any US legacy airline. Would you?

fatbus
10th Feb 2015, 06:26
Neither , I don't have a dog in this fight.
The thread is resignation tips not about US legacy carriers. I have no interest in the US carriers nor do most of the non US pilots, but a much larger number of pilots are interested in transitioning out of EK and the UAE. You guys have to realize there is aviation outside the U.S. just look at other threads about the claim of all the pilots including FO's going to China Southern. No need for me to be frustrated or desperate , it's called early retirement , I'm done next year.15 years, age 53 ,two houses, kids looked after.

Dropp the Pilot
10th Feb 2015, 06:32
Might be interesting to start a thread to see what our personal definitions of 'done' might be.

Unfortunately within two posts that thread would be about pensions at United.

Sigh

GoreTex
10th Feb 2015, 07:02
I am done next year too, 50 years old and 17 years in EK, just have to wait for my 50th to get the tickets unless they change the rules

Neptune Spear
10th Feb 2015, 07:42
I'm glad you are getting out of Emirates Fatbus. I hope to follow soon.
The question is IF you could wouldn't you want the salary of the legacy airlines? I appreciate that you can't work in the states and everyone knows there are a lot of other airlines in the world.
What about the work rules. You would not want even a little of those rules that make a pilot's life so much easier?
I feel that if I had a big salary I could retire earlier than planned. If I had just a smidgen of those rules that are to die for I could enjoy my retirement without being so dammed tired and fog headed that I am currently even though I have decades before I can even think of retiring.
Good luck to you.

Desertweasel
10th Feb 2015, 08:30
My definition of done is 54, with 15 years at EK coming up, staying for the flights and hoping the next set of changes don't rip them away.
Previous family indiscretions mean earning days are likely not over yet but the remainder will be on very different terms to current.

White Sausage
10th Feb 2015, 09:03
Same here, waiting for my 15 years and then "Hasta la vista, baby!"
This gig used to be one of the best in the world, the last 7 years our so called management turned that into a sad excuse of a once great airline.
On each and every flight I do nearly everybody is talking about leaving asap, CC and engineers included. What a shame!!
I've never seen a discontent of such a magnitude and it will bite EK in the rear very badly, very soon.
Good luck to all the guys leaving, I envy you! I'll be on my way out in 3 years, latest...

The Turtle
10th Feb 2015, 10:08
I can't count my exit in age, or years remaining.....

for me it's T-6 ppc's, baby!

TangoUniform
10th Feb 2015, 13:45
Fatbus,
What I was trying to convey was, here we are, one of the biggest deal airlines in the world with world class marketing, world class new airplanes, etc., yet compared to other so called big deal airlines, our standard of living and pay is lagging in every respect. Also the information on the legacies is easily researched on Airline Pilot Central. If I had the T/Cs for Other legacies around the world maybe this place wouldn't look so horrendous.

I am not so naive to think everyone can or would want to work in the US. Just a comparison of work rules and pay, that's all. And why in the Resignation thread? Perhaps to give some perspective to those who are resigning or contemplating resigning. There are today greener pastures out there. Maybe not so much five years ago. Time to pony up, or EK will be a shadow of itself in five years taken over by the joint down the road. Or maybe we should just be like mushrooms and be happy with our lot, kept in the dark and fed ....!

TU

Kapitanleutnant
10th Feb 2015, 14:17
I used to say to colleagues that Ryanair was the "training ground" for Emirates as we seemed to be hiring quite a number of their pilots (who I enjoy flying with).

Nowadays I wonder if it might be more appropriate to say, "Emirates Airline is (will be) the training ground for the rest of the world's airlines"? Hmmm……..

K

Chocks Away
10th Feb 2015, 18:26
World class marketing (http://www.arabianbusiness.com//emirates-says-hire-over-11-000-new-staff-in-2015-581748.html) is right TU, just check that link out.
How many of that 11,000 are required flight crew to replace all the past (& upcoming) resignations?

777Goose
10th Feb 2015, 18:29
I've been using DU for 10 years and have maintained my @eim.ae as a dial up.
20 AED a month. Will top up before departing as I've had since 1995. I see no reason why it would or should be cancelled. Will know for sure in the not too distant future.

Old King Coal
10th Feb 2015, 19:10
Ah yes, veritably from the Pravda of the Middle East, an article stating nothing but "good news!"... and (though they seemed to have missed it from the article) one likewise assumes that tractor production figures are also up too and that this years harvest will be a bumper one?!... and that this is all part of the 4th / 5th / 6th iteration of the original '5 year plan', albeit soon likely to be followed by the '3 year plan', then the '1 year plan', then the 'emergency plan', then the 'wheels have come off plan', and finally the 'who can we blame plan' ?! :E

DCS99
10th Feb 2015, 20:02
But why would anyone resign when you live in World Central:

Dubai set to become 'the centre of the world' by 2100, gov't expert predicts - ArabianBusiness.com (http://m.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-set-become-the-centre-of-world-by-2100-gov-t-expert-predicts-581660.html)

anson harris
14th Feb 2015, 05:14
Anyone got any idea which day they give you the End of Service Certificate? I'm assuming it's the very last day, but would quite like to get mine a bit sooner...

The Real Pink Baron
14th Feb 2015, 05:28
You don't get one!

anson harris
14th Feb 2015, 12:43
Pretty sure you do.

777boyo
14th Feb 2015, 12:50
They give you a Service Certificate letter on your last day of service, when you collect your final cheque etc

7B

anson harris
14th Feb 2015, 13:48
Thanks.. :ok:

palm
15th Feb 2015, 14:44
Guys, 60-5= 55 AND 15 years in the Cie. So you can't leave before 55 even with more than 15 years in the Cie if you want enjoy your travel benefits.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

White Sausage
15th Feb 2015, 15:51
Wrong: It's within 10 years of your NRA (Normal Retirement Age), which for us old timers is 60. So 60-10 is 50. For the later joiners it is 65-10=55. Min. 10 years in the company is another condition. If you stay 15 years you get a few more tickets a year. So do your math and plan wisely...

flyaway777
15th Feb 2015, 17:26
So if you leave after 15yrs service at the age of 45 for example, do you still get the travel benefits when you reach 55 or are you just forgotten about?

Modesh
15th Feb 2015, 18:53
Read Staff Travel Manual C25

Explains all.

M

flyaway777
15th Feb 2015, 21:12
Thanks Modesh.

Saltaire
16th Feb 2015, 02:51
Only those hired before 2007 can leave after 50 years of age with 15 years service ( 10 years before the previous retirement age of 60 ) Those hired after 2007 need to wait until 55 and 15 years service for these benefits, in line with the revised retirement age of 65. Another line in the sand so to speak ;)

Kammel
16th Feb 2015, 03:20
At the current work rate I won't make 55 :ugh:

White Sausage
16th Feb 2015, 13:10
Saltaire, not completely correct: It's minimum 10 years in the company, then you get a few tickets. If you stay 15 years tho they give you a few more. Age wise you are 100 % correct.

Buford
2nd Apr 2015, 09:41
Not leaving yet but want to know what happens with education allowance if you do leave? If you leave during first term, how much does Emirates recover from you? I've read the handbook but it's really confusing. It implies they will recover the prorated amount for the full year not completed, however, what if the kids have only done one term and Emirates has only paid for two. Anyone been through this once they left and what happened? It's so wrong that they have such control over us via salary deductions.:eek:

p101
6th Apr 2015, 14:37
If you were hired in 2007 or before and you were at EK for 10 years and you are over the age of 50, then you get the tickets. It's not as beneficial as doing 15 years because you don't get OAL but otherwise, get your ass out of there if you are only waiting to get tickets.
Besides, EK can change the rules at any point in the future. They can suddenly decree that past obligations are not going to be honored.
NEVER stay just for the tickets, it's so minor once you get back to reality and deal with normal people.

Kapitanleutnant
20th Jun 2015, 09:06
Reviving this thread….

Can some of you who've been thru the process offer some insight to the following questions:

* If leaving mid month, when will that last few weeks actually be paid since you won't be receiving that paycheck at the end of the month you're leaving… with the provident fund perhaps?

* Were there any issues actually leaving DXB at customs e.g., having no visa etc?

* Provident Fund - Is it recommended to change all your current funds into US Dollar account from it's current position in order to save money on the actual Provident Fund transfer from Dubai to whatever institution you're sending it to?

* Does one need a "letter" from EK of sorts to stop any of the utility type services such as stopping OSN TV service, Du/Etisalat phone and internet?

Thanks for any intel on this guys…

Kap

worldaccording2
20th Jun 2015, 17:29
Kapitanleutnant

I left mid March this year. Here is my experience;

1) you are paid pro rata for no of days worked, so e.g 15 days x daily rate = X

The people at ESC on 2 nod floor are very helpful. Ask before you leave of a print out of any deductions that they know of. Leave is also taken back in monetary terms if you have taken more than entitled.

2) No issues with visa removal. Again all done by ESC. Drop all passports with visa off, then collect 2-3 days later with the visa cancelled. On exit through DXB you have to go to the very left corner of economy passport/security to a small kiosk and wait for this......PAY ..yes pay 20 dhs for the pleasure of exiting UAE. I told the guy I would pay 10 times that to get out...he did not get my sarcasm.

3) my provident fund was not a huge amount, having only been at EK for 4 years. I collected all monies owed in a cheque in Dhs. Went to NBD in EGHQ and cashed it. Then went to the money exchange on the way to the metro and transferred back to the UK. 2 days later money in my UK account.

4) we rented from day one so our accommodation situation was maybe different to people in staff accomadation. We left rented apartment about 2 months before my last day at work. I kept all final bills stamped obviously ! From Du, Dewa and I only had a PAYG phone so no contract to close. Also I had no credit cards from UAE bank. A friend of mine who left had issues with both etisalt and C/c when trying to leave. His advice was initiate these 3 months before departure date if possible. Again just get a PAYG sim. I also closed my NBD account 2 weeks before leaving and had no issues when cashing my final cheque. I also got a letter of good conduct from the lovely helpful hard working Dubai police. Online form, fee and obligatory knowledge fee! Lol . Went into rashidiya police station to verify my identity and an online letter is sent to your e-mail.

5) I had no exit interview, just an online questionare. I was honest in my answers, not malicious. Mine were health, family and sick of been a second class citizen. The 92 hrs every month with less days off and more night turns on the 777 at least was killing me. The last bit of advice is use the guys and girls at ESC, they are very helpful and will either give you the answers you want or point you in the direction of the person you have to contact. Don't ask 777 fleet manager or is it manager fleet as she is as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Definitely the best decision I ever made, In the 3 months of leaving I have lost 4 kgs without trying, my blood pressure is down and I am no longer irratble and always in a bad mood- at least that's what my wife says!
Hope this helps-

anson harris
20th Jun 2015, 18:33
* If leaving mid month, when will that last few weeks actually be paid since you won't be receiving that paycheck at the end of the month you're leaving… with the provident fund perhaps?

A few days before you leave, your co-ordinator will contact you with a detailed breakdown of what you owe/what they owe, pro-rated for your exact number of days served. In my experience it was very accurate and included provident fund payout. On your last day, when you hand in your ID etc, they will provide you with a cheque for your final settlement which you can cash right away. They will withhold an amount that will be held for a few weeks - it can be paid direct to your home bank account.

* Were there any issues actually leaving DXB at customs e.g., having no visa etc?

No issues whatsoever. I went to the airport at the given time. You go to Marhaba services which is by the economy check in area. I didn't have to pay anything. They then escort you off the premises (i.e. through passport control), then you're freeeeeeee.....

* Provident Fund - Is it recommended to change all your current funds into US Dollar account from it's current position in order to save money on the actual Provident Fund transfer from Dubai to whatever institution you're sending it to?

I withdrew everything I could some months before I left. I didn't do anything with what was left, it was paid out in AED with the final settlement.

* Does one need a "letter" from EK of sorts to stop any of the utility type services such as stopping OSN TV service, Du/Etisalat phone and internet?

The biggest nightmare of leaving is sorting out all the useless Dubai companies. Emirates is the easy part. I didn't get any letters, but getting the likes of Etisalat to provide a final bill is nigh on impossible. Make sure that you give them a month's notice. Although they'll still muck it up. Even after the notice is up they still won't know until the following month how much you actually owe them - but it won't stop you leaving the country.

sluggums
20th Jun 2015, 21:17
p101. I think you'll find it's the other way round. Doing 10 years and then leaving within 10 of your retirement age (Dependant on when you joined) will give you the 8 A & C tickets and OAL travel when you reach your retirement age. Assuming you leave before you get to within 10 years of retirement the 15 year deal is only 2x SRC A's and 2x C's forever. (The 10 & 10 deal is the same till retirement age)

Kapitanleutnant
21st Jun 2015, 14:10
World….

GREAT POST!!! Appreciate the detail of it all. Thanks!

SOP….
Got it!!

K

Wh1sper
23rd Jun 2015, 09:04
Cheers World, useful info!

Rotaiva
26th Jun 2015, 15:04
Hi Guys,

I've heard it is an easy task to get training records, can someone 'pm' me specifics please...

Also wanted to keep this thread on page 1; it's too useful & important to slide into obscurity!

Regards

Desdihold
26th Jun 2015, 17:04
Good question re training records but could can you make the response public?

(It's probably not sensitive information)

Rotaiva
18th Jul 2015, 09:21
Getting the training records was the easiest part to date!

I emailed the 'Flight Training Support Manager' - she forwarded on my request to the admin ladies and there you have it; a disc with everything on it (pdf files) was ready for me to pick up within 24 hours.

No need to get any approvals from 'control hungry personality types'.

Also wanted to bring this thread back to the fore...

kapitanleutnant - check your pm's

FlyEmirates777
19th Jul 2015, 14:03
I own my place in Dubai free-and-clear. I was considering holding onto it after leaving EK to use as a rental. Anyone have experience with this?

Kapitanleutnant
19th Jul 2015, 19:36
Guys….

1. Where does one obtain a letter of no incident/no accident? I'd heard the company provided this but that is incorrect/has changed.

2. How/where does one return the Captain's Mobile given to us by EK?

3. Has anyone else had to get a clearance letter for closing out a bank credit card? The checklist says YES but my HR coordinator said not needed, only the loan clearance letter.

4. I'm unable to access my online checklist to update anything… Can I presume this is done by the HR coordinator when an item is accomplished?

5. When does the accommodation department (The Dept of NO!) send someone to my home to do the maintenance check? I've sent two emails and talked to a person there…. still nothing from them. How long before leaving do they normally come out?

Thanks for any headsup and previous experience on this!

Kap

Snake man
19th Jul 2015, 23:52
SOPS:

As well as sending that SMS, will you post here?
There are so many leaving who can benefit from each other's experience that we might as well make it open.

I'll post a few answers for Kap:
5) The accommodation department will contact you at about the 1 month to go mark. They will schedule a visit, look around, and tell you what needs to be done. Expect a paint job back to uninspiring white. Expect a garden returned to it's former dust with all grass and plants removed. They know its daft, we know its daft, but that's what it is.
3) On the HR portal, under the heading "bonds and guarantees", there may be any loans and credit cards. Go to the bank with those details and they will give you a no liability letter for those and any other accounts. Visit HR with that letter, they will take a copy, and make an entry on the portal to say done. Your EOS "to do list" will tick off green as done.
4) I think so, but open to correction.
1&2) I don't know.

Thanks Rotaiva, for the good info. I'm going to follow your advice.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

SM

SOPS
20th Jul 2015, 02:01
Fair point Snake, so I will post here.

1 don't know

2 return it at the Fleet Admin office, near where you drop off the flight plans and the other stuff.

3 I got a letter from the bank for my account and credit cards. You DONOT need on your last day a head wobble saying you need a letter. I also had one from Etisalat to say my internet had been paid, no one wanted that however.

4 the check list seems to go automatically green, but I could be wrong.

5 despite numerous emails and phone calls to those hard workers at the accomodation dept, no one ever came to my villa. I actually got a phone call the afternoon before I left from some one saying....sorry we a very busy when can we come to your villa....I told them anytime they liked but I would not be there.
You have to return the villa back to the way it was, and leave your garden as sand.

Emma Royds
29th Jul 2015, 15:24
Just a few observations from my notice period so far, that may help others.

• One of the first things you are informed about when you resign is that all tickets booked on TRIPS, must be paid for in person at the ESC. This is wrong! The salary deduction payment method is still used until 45 days prior to your leaving date. Between resigning and 45 days prior to leaving, your tickets will still be paid by salary deduction but the tickets have to be manually processed by Staff Travel, which will take a few days. For short notice travel, a quick visit to the ESC is required to get your ticket issued, yet it's a non event.

• Shortly after you resign you are asked if you would prefer to use Skycargo or an external sea/air freight moving company. The allowance for moving out is far more generous than what you encountered when you moved to Dubai. My advice is do not use SkyCargo and use the Air/Sea Freight option, as EK are willing to make a reasonable contribution to the latter and may cover all that you wish to take with you. It's all in the staff travel manual but the amount that EK is willing to pay is based on your designated Annual Leave Destination and length of service. 10 years or more service sees EK contribute 44K AED for moving to the Americas and 36K AED for moving to Europe. Therefore it is something not to overlook. Taxes, customs fees and insurance should still be paid by the staff.

Dropp the Pilot
29th Jul 2015, 15:59
Very helpful, keep it coming. I am about 7 months behind you.

Kapitanleutnant
29th Jul 2015, 16:28
I'll add my two fils here two in my process…

The "checklist" you'll get on the portal is, in my opinion, written like our FCI's… it will often times generate more questions than it gives answer to. And as is somewhat typical of EK manuals, there are little tidbits of information all over the place and not necessarily in the section you'd expect. Just my opinion about it. And the checklist on the portal has different color codes for what you've completed, what is in progress and what you have not accomplished yet. Evidently, this is something you cannot do yourself. You either have to call or email your HR coordinator for them to do it.

Re the moving: I've been told that if you select DNATA Cargo for the move, they will only move it to the city (airport) you've asked it to be sent… not to your new home/house/apt. I was told by more than one person that Allied was good.

One of the strangest things was when I went to get a Letter from HR to stop my phone/internet service with du… There actually is NO LETTER for this. I looked 3 times both on the portal and then at HR kiosks. So I went to HR services and told the lady and she looked in her computer and could't find a letter for it either! So she called an accommodation person and they had a banter for about 5 minutes, one saying there is no letter and the other saying to just make one up.

After this conversation I asked… "How can it even be possible there is no letter for canceling du service?" Shrug of the shoulders and was told the letter would be put in my mailbox.

Clearance letters from your bank for previous loans no matter how long ago that were paid off, are required and it takes about a week (they tell you 4 business days). And then you must go online to the bank's website and make a request for that clearance letter which takes another "4 business days". That with flying etc.. can be almost 2 weeks, so just realize it's not an instant thing.

The checklist says you need a clearance letter to close a credit card from your bank. My HR advisor said it's not necessary. I applied for it anyways and at my particular bank, it's a 45 day process from the time you request it. Plan ahead….

If you're going to another pilot position as I am, you might need a Letter of no Incident/Accident. I've been told by a few that it's a simple process by going on the GCAA website and filling in a form. For some reason, my experience has absolutely not been like that. I've tried 3 times now and have yet to figure out just where to click. There is really no icon to click for this request. So I have not figured out the process, even with two colleagues telling me how to do it. It just didn't work in my situation… so I'm still without it.

The Letter of Good Conduct from the Dubai Police was actually quite easy. I took a metro to one of the several police stations around dubai with a passport, passport copy and passport photo, filled out a short form and they said it would be done in 3 days. Sure enough… done. It has to be made out to a particular organization and I think the cost was 35 dhs (?). Realize that it's only good for a certain period… 90 days maybe? I could be wrong on this though….

For those who are selling furniture, friend of a friend of a friend told me there is a company called Cashcoverters that will come look at your stuff and give you an offer for it all in cash. It's kinda lowball but if you just need to move some things quickly that are in good shape, it might help out.

I've had good luck selling my things on my own and still have a lot of time before my Last day of service.

K

SOPS
29th Jul 2015, 23:14
If you need to get rid of stuff..ie you don't want to sell it, just get rid of it.....Take My Junk....is great. They will take almost anything for free.

Jet II
30th Jul 2015, 14:56
On exit through DXB you have to go to the very left corner of economy passport/security to a small kiosk and wait for this......PAY ..yes pay 20 dhs for the pleasure of exiting UAE. I told the guy I would pay 10 times that to get out...he did not get my sarcasm.

No issues whatsoever. I went to the airport at the given time. You go to Marhaba services which is by the economy check in area. I didn't have to pay anything. They then escort you off the premises (i.e. through passport control), then you're freeeeeeee.....

Ah, dont you just love Dubai - nothing is ever the same

When we left we checked in at the normal Business check-in and just told the immigration guy at passport control that we were leaving Dubai. He did ask to see our end of service letter but when we said it was in our carry on he told us to forget it and move on.:p

Kapitanleutnant
30th Jul 2015, 15:14
When we leave, do we go to the normal staff travel desk to check in, or some other desk.

And did they ask if you were leaving DXB for good…. or did you just offer this in casual conversation?

I wasn't aware we had to have an End of Service letter. Maybe something not to mention?

Thanks for the intel.

K

Jet II
30th Jul 2015, 18:38
We had confirmed business seats and had done the online check-in so we just went to a normal desk to drop off the bags.

The immigration guy asked why our visa had been cancelled and we told him we were leaving permanently and that was that basically. The end of service letter is what they give you at EGHQ with your last cheque - I got mine at the end of May so it included the bonus, I actually walked out of the country with $35,000 USD in cash :E

FWIW today our retention money arrived in the bank - almost 8 weeks to the day from leaving. To be fair to EK they paid everything, even our outstanding Medical and Dental claims.

Dropp the Pilot
30th Jul 2015, 20:01
What is "retention money"?

What method did you choose to receive your Provident Fund proceeds?

SOPS
30th Jul 2015, 23:10
I'm still waiting for my retention money, but if 4000 AED is the cost of getting out of the place, I will wear it.

O got a cheque for my provident fund...cashed in OZ ok.

I had a letter given to me in Arabic that I had to give to the immigration person, that said I was free to go.

Jet II
31st Jul 2015, 01:10
What is "retention money"?

they keep back 4000 Dhs from your last paycheck - not sure why, but it is Dubai..

What method did you choose to receive your Provident Fund proceeds?

I did direct bank transfer to my bank account in Jersey - arrived in my account 2 weeks after leaving.

777boyo
31st Jul 2015, 01:57
A few items from my experience which may be useful.

For packing/removal/shipping, we used Allied Pickfords, who were really good at both ends. After 19 years in EK, we had over 110 boxes, and the only breakage was one wine glass. They cleared Customs at both ends, unpacked at destination and took away all the packing materials/empty boxes etc They also bill EK directly. They were the most expensive quotation, but EK did not query the cost.

Retention Payment - it took about ten weeks and several emails to an HR contact for my Retention money to be paid, and a colleague who left at the same time had the same experience. However, no deductions were made, despite some work being done on our company accommodation. Other leavers seem to get theirs quickly, so it seems to vary. There was never any doubt that it would be paid, just a question of when.....

Provident Fund - if you elect to remain in the Provident Fund as a Deferred Member, your last two months Company Contributions to your A Fund will not be paid into your fund. This money is withheld along with your Retention Money at paid to you along with the other Retention Money. Never did get to the bottom of why this is done, but it was paid correctly in the end.

HSBC Premier Mastercard - we tried to get ahead of the game by cancelling our credit cards three months prior to departure to avoid any last minute bureaucratic issues. The bank told us that once the cards were cancelled, we then had to maintain a balance in our current account of not less than the Credit Limit on the cancelled cards for three months "to cover any unposted card charges". Moral - you might want to consider reducing your Credit Limit to an absolute minimum prior to card cancellation to avoid having to keep a large balance in your current account. We managed to get them to do this, but it was a battle - HSBC just couldn't understand why we would want to reduce a credit limit in DXB. This was just over a year ago, and I've been told subsequently that some other banks have the same requirement, so it is worth checking in advance.

Etisalat - there is a guy in etisalat whose job is to act as a coordinator for EK Staff. He was really helpful. Unfortunately I can't now find his details, but the Leaving Coordinators should have it. Having said that, cancelling my wifes mobile roaming service and getting the deposit back involved many visits to etisalat at Al Wasl. We finally got it the day before we left, but were still receiving bills from etisalat for a few fils for her phone three months later. Eventually that was also sorted out, but involved many phone calls. Moral - cancel any post paid mobile phone subscriptions well in advance and get a pre-paid sim.

Best of luck with the process to all. As others have said, there is life after DXB!

7B

flareflyer
31st Jul 2015, 07:37
It is really sad to see so many good guys leaving.........
I wish you all the best and i really hope that this bunch of clowns will some day understand the damage they did to the company..........
I am looking forward to follow you.........as soon as my son will be out of here ......
Enjoy all of you the after EK life
:D:D

Kapitanleutnant
31st Jul 2015, 07:58
To answer what retention monies are:

As I understand it, it is money that is withheld from you as you leave and is used to cover any unforeseen expenses like EK accommodation having to do some extra cleaning of your villa/apartment or changing the garden back to original state, or perhaps a last etisalat/du phone bill that wasn't quite paid in full etc.

I've been told this amount is about 4000 dirhams. But you are supposed to get it back at some point.. have heard as quick as a few weeks to several months as one poster mentioned above.

During the out process checklist, you will be asked to put a bank account as to where you want these retention monies sent after you've left. I just gave them my bank account number in my home country.

K

Mr Good Cat
31st Jul 2015, 08:06
Can anyone tell me what the allowance for cargo repatriation is please? If we use either EK Skycargo or External Seafreight?

Can't find it anywhere in the manuals.

Thanks!

SOPS
31st Jul 2015, 09:29
Ah...Mr Good Cat, you have the same problem as me. Where is cargo repatriation allowance. You silly person, you should know to look in the Staff Travel Manual. It's all in there. What, you never thought of that?:ok:

SOPS
31st Jul 2015, 13:10
And another experience. I paid off my HSBC credit card, two weeks before I left. I did this at the HSBC Head Office in Dubai. I also closed my current account at the same time. The very helpful person there told me to come back 3 days before I was due to leave Dubai. When I returned, they provided me with a letter saying that my accounts were all closed, I owed no money on loans ( not that I had one ), or any credit cards. They then gave me a cheque for the approx 40000 AED that remained in my current account.
I deposited that cheque into my bank in Australia, without a problem.

So once again, everyone seems to have different experiences. But that's Dubai.

In my case, I had my sister come to Dubai for the last 3 weeks, to help with the final 'shut down'. I loaded her Australian credit cards with money, because once you close down your account in Dubai, you no longer have access to local money.
Anyway, I am sure we all do it differently, good luck to all.

Just to add, the HSBC branch I dealt with, was the one next to the Westin Hotel in Deira.

Mr Good Cat
1st Aug 2015, 06:03
Ah thanks SOPS!

I'll get on to it now!

Jet II
1st Aug 2015, 14:48
I second what SOPS said, sort out your credit cards an bank account in plenty of time.

I cancelled my local credit cards 3 months before leaving and then 7 days before my last day I transferred all the money in my bank account out to my offshore account (HSBC Global transfer) - 3 days before leaving went into the HSBC main branch in Jumeirah and closed the (now empty) account.

SOPS
2nd Aug 2015, 09:13
Sorry, I made a small error. The HSBC branch I delt with in Deria, is next to the JW Marriott hotel, not the Westin.

Desdihold
4th Aug 2015, 10:28
After a long heart to heart with my wife and kids it looks as if our time here at EK is coming to an end and we will be packing our bags for home.

I do have another job opportunity but the start date will occur almost a month prior to the end of the EK required 90 day notice period.

Here is my question:
If I leave at 60 days instead of 90 days, what, if any, are the financial implications ( re EK) for leaving early?

( background: 9 years, living out and receiving acmdtn allowance monthly)

Dropp the Pilot
4th Aug 2015, 10:47
This will be interesting so do let us know what develops. My guess would be that you can use any vacation balance you have to reduce the notice period but beyond that you will probably owe them money.

SOPS
4th Aug 2015, 10:48
I'm sure there are implications Desdi, but I don't know what. I don't even know if they will let you leave early.

Perhaps a question fit the ladies on the 'leaving desk' at HQ. They are very helpful.

Or the answer might be in the employees manual, or whatever it is called.

CamelRustler
4th Aug 2015, 12:09
Desdi,
Sorry to see you go. I had the same conversation with my family.

The lady at the leaving desk is very helpful and will answer all your questions. Make a list of them before you go there so you don't forget any. Arrive early so you can grab a number the leaving line gets long by mid morning. This is what she told me about a few of my questions.

Education- You will owe the company the remainder of the term your kids did not attend. e.g. If your last day is October 10th you will owe the company the tuition from Oct-11 through the end of the term. So best to have a leave date at end of term.

Housing Allowance- Will be prorated against the amount you used.

They will subtract your basic salary for every day shy of the three months you served.

EK will give you the 3 days off before your last day to pack up your house and get it shipped. (Not sure if that only applies if you give 3 months.) If in company housing you must be out by your last day. Conversely your allowance is figured to your last day.

The sooner you let them know the better.

Hope this helps. Glad you made it out alive.

CR

Emma Royds
4th Aug 2015, 13:29
777boyo

Thanks for the detailed insight and especially into the situation with your credit cards. I will pop into Emirates NBD tomorrow to get get the ball rolling!!! :ok:

Dropp the Pilot
4th Aug 2015, 13:36
How does the math work for the leaving date? Do they just add 90 days to the date of your resignation email?

SOPS
4th Aug 2015, 13:43
Correct Dropp. What ever day you send your good bye email, add 90 days, and that becomes your last DOS.

SOPS
4th Aug 2015, 13:44
Are you leaving as well Emma?

777boyo
4th Aug 2015, 13:59
Emma,

Good luck with that. Maybe you could post your Credit Card experience for the benefit of those following. I believe different banks have different rules, and even within HSBC it seems from another posting that rules are not consistent.

Best of luck for the future.

7B

SOPS
4th Aug 2015, 14:10
I agree about credit cards. It seems to me it depends who you speak to, and what branch you are at. ( operations normal?). I think it would be a good idea for everyone to share their experiences, so those that are yet to jump out have a heads up.

Emma Royds
4th Aug 2015, 14:23
SOPS

Yes - I am serving my notice period now as well.

I am off to a little corporate operator and will fly around 300 hours a year with most nights at home and the ability to have most weekends off as well. In short, it was a no brainer on lifestyle alone never mind taking anything else into consideration.

I have no need to worry about getting Christmas and New Year off this year! :E

SOPS
4th Aug 2015, 14:38
I am very happy for you, I wish you all the best! My only recommendation is to get a dog or two, a fire, and some wine!

Kapitanleutnant
4th Aug 2015, 15:08
Congrats to both Emma and Desdi!!

It's possible there will be a day during the next 90 (or 60 as the case may be) that you start to wonder if you made the best decision leaving EK. There actually are some nice things about being here…. but within minutes after looking at your roster, you'll soon realize, "Yep, I'm totally at peace with my decision".

The closer you get to the LDS (last day of service) the more excited you may become realizing that you no longer have to put up with it all….

As the Brits say, "Happy Days!"

Kap

Oh… btw: FYI…. When obtaining a clearance letter from your bank on a previous loan, no matter how far back it was paid off, you'll need to make sure not only is the Loan Account number on the clearance letter but the general bank account number as well. Had to do the dance back and forth between HR and my bank before it was all straightened out. HR guy said some banks are not putting the bank account number on the clearance letter which is required for it to be processed as complete.

Emma Royds
4th Aug 2015, 19:12
Kapitanleutnant

It's possible there will be a day during the next 90 (or 60 as the case may be) that you start to wonder if you made the best decision leaving EK. There actually are some nice things about being here…. but within minutes after looking at your roster, you'll soon realize, "Yep, I'm totally at peace with my decision".

It's funny that you should say that but in the week or so after I had resigned I had one of those moments but as you said, I soon came to the conclusion that I was making the right decision. I actually enjoy living in Dubai but having said that, my list of pros for leaving was almost twice as long as my list of cons.

What I have found rather comical and perhaps sad in a way, is the reaction I have seen from some colleagues when they have asked about my plans here and I share my plans to leave. It has at times been similar to a prisoner of war sharing his plans to escape with his peers and being met with pats on the back, along with firm exuberant handshakes and beaming smiles from the other person.

Finally to those that have left or are about to leave very shortly, please keep the feedback coming as this thread has turned into an excellent source of information.

adel
4th Aug 2015, 20:22
Oh… btw: FYI…. When obtaining a clearance letter from your bank on a previous loan, no matter how far back it was paid off, you'll need to make sure not only is the Loan Account number on the clearance letter but the general bank account number as well. Had to do the dance back and forth between HR and my bank before it was all straightened out. HR guy said some banks are not putting the bank account number on the clearance letter which is required for it to be processed as complete.[/QUOTE]
I'm still a little vague,
I took out a car loan with emirates Islamic bank several years ago, it's all paid off now.
I don't bank with them, and I have no affiliation for over 2 years now.
If I resigned today, who would ask for a clearance letter or more importantly how would emirates know that I had a loan with EIB.
Sorry if I'm confused

777Goose
5th Aug 2015, 03:22
Your repatriation travel will be booked after your last LDS.

If your 3 days of LDS fall over a weekend then it will be brought forward.

With 3+2 days of LDS I completed my out clearances early and the resignation desk walked over to the staff travel desk and they booked my travel on an earlier date.

Kapitanleutnant
5th Aug 2015, 08:03
Goose…

Mine has already been booked with several months to go While chatting with my coordinator I asked when and how this is done. She pulled it up and put me on my flight that instant.

K

SOPS
5th Aug 2015, 08:06
Yes, I was the same as Kap. I had my flight booked two months before I left.

Desertweasel
5th Aug 2015, 10:12
So it's done, after 16 years it's time to go.

On the statement there are 3 loans from 00, 03 and 06 trouble is the bank I had then, Lloyds has long gone and while HSBC "took over" they seem to have very little information.
Anyone encountered this and how to get a very old loan clearance letter?

Kapitanleutnant
5th Aug 2015, 10:29
Weasel…

If you've started the process already, the HR coordinators are a great place to start. If they don't know, they'll generally direct you in the right direction and person to contact. If not, I'd think asking HSBC and telling them the whole situation and see what they say.

This is an interesting one….

Kap

SOPS
5th Aug 2015, 13:21
Weasel, can I suggest you go to the HSBC branch that I have mentioned before. They are in Deira, next to the JW Marriott hotel. I found them very helpful and knowledgeable during my leaving process. No head wobbling, just help and advice. That's where I would start.

Basic Service
5th Aug 2015, 16:23
Do you think there might be a job going soon in the ESC as another EOS desk clerk? Seems to me one is not enough!

I was in a classroom recently with pilots and cabin crew doing a round the room introduction. One pilot said his name rank and serial number followed by the comment he was leaving in November....Big round of spontaneous applause from everyone.. nuff said... quite sad really...

Desertweasel
6th Aug 2015, 05:40
thanks Guys, I will let you know how I get on

777boyo
6th Aug 2015, 08:03
Weasel,

Until relatively recently there were still some ex-Lloyds staff working at the Jumeirah Branch of HSBC on Al Wasl Rd. They might be able to help or perhaps point you in the direction of someone who is able to.....

7B

777Goose
8th Aug 2015, 00:22
Yes my repatriation travel was also booked 2 months before my last day. What I was trying to say is you travel after your last day of LDS which can be the next day or delayed for up to 30 days I recall. I was checked out early and departed while still on LDS after the leaving desk had the staff travel desk move my flight. Don't expect a reply to any emails to staff travel as they do not actively monitor.

LNDGRN
10th Aug 2015, 05:46
I got my final settlement letter yesterday and the "BUPA remuneration benefit" (money in lieu of) was missing; I am 60 in one month with 12.5 years at EK. EOS team was confused and promised(?) to update today. Has anyone else received this benefit? cheers!

sonylaptop
10th Aug 2015, 18:06
Hopefully resigning soon, any advice on how to obtain the LLoyds clearance letter would be much appreciated. Good thread.

Desertweasel
11th Aug 2015, 03:56
So informed by the great and good in HR that they only require a certificate from current bank, they are aware of the Lloyds situation, they cannot tell me however what the outstanding letters actually refer to and I'm certain one is Citibank from when we were all keen to sign up for the Skywards card.
That is being turned in anyway so probably not a big deal.
So will head to Jum 1 today and see what HSBC can deliver, based on previous experience I don't expect a great deal.

Dropp the Pilot
11th Aug 2015, 05:32
Let us know what you discover about the Citibank card. I think we all were approached by Citibank without Emirates involvement so I don't think our departure coordinator even knows the card exists.

Desdihold
11th Aug 2015, 07:59
Will the company certify (stamp) a print out of flight times from the foip?

Also,mail they provide a letter showing the total flight while flying with EK?
( I think it was swissair who had a simple letter stating flight time and that was accepted by most subsequent employers)

Dropp the Pilot
11th Aug 2015, 08:05
Does anyone have experience of resigning whilst in rental accommodation? Does the company require some form of document from your landlord and/or DEWA?

Mr Good Cat
11th Aug 2015, 08:50
Will the company certify (stamp) a print out of flight times from the foip?

Also,mail they provide a letter showing the total flight while flying with EK?
( I think it was swissair who had a simple letter stating flight time and that was accepted by most subsequent employers)

Better to get your CAA to certify your hours.

A while back I got EKs training dept to certify my hours with a stamp (deputy CFI).

They were much more helpful than office admin.

Mr Good Cat
11th Aug 2015, 08:52
I got my final settlement letter yesterday and the "BUPA remuneration benefit" (money in lieu of) was missing; I am 60 in one month with 12.5 years at EK. EOS team was confused and promised(?) to update today. Has anyone else received this benefit? cheers!

What is the BUPA remuneration benefit you refer to?

Is this the outstanding leave issue?

Mr Good Cat
11th Aug 2015, 08:56
Also, check your guarantee letters list in HRDirect.

I thought I would need a clearance from Etisalat, HSBC etc. but there were no guarantees listed.

I contacted my HR coordinator and she said no clearances required as there's no guarantees in the system. (Never had loans etc only an internet connection and credit cards).

LadyMatilda
11th Aug 2015, 08:57
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK-iT59UAAQL7zC.jpg

Mr Good Cat
11th Aug 2015, 09:02
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK-iT59UAAQL7zC.jpg

Eliminating people carries a long prison sentence in my country, so I chose to just walk away...

... Still, to each their own ;)

:ok:

LadyMatilda
11th Aug 2015, 09:25
:p
Many interesting applications of the word, you can choose which to apply. ;)
To be clear on my meaning;
Elliminate - synonyms: remove, do away with, banish.
:ok:

Great Resource thank you all

Question:

I cant find the reference in staff travel manual about repatriation allowance, perhaps its moved to other buried hole in the portal. Not having actually resigned yet i don't have end of service documents. Assume it is in this document.

If some kind soul could post reference to allowance, that would be much appreciated.

And for those interested in statistic's; i am 12 year 777 Capt off to CSA contract, maybe Hainan.

Mr Good Cat
12th Aug 2015, 13:48
Great Resource thank you all

Question:

I cant find the reference in staff travel manual about repatriation allowance, perhaps its moved to other buried hole in the portal. Not having actually resigned yet i don't have end of service documents. Assume it is in this document.

If some kind soul could post reference to allowance, that would be much appreciated.

And for those interested in statistic's; i am 12 year 777 Capt off to CSA contract, maybe Hainan.

It's 28,800 dhs for the allowance.

A full 20ft container with full insurance and door-to-door repatriation will cost about 24,000 all-in. The major companies will bill Emirates directly (Allied,Freightworks etc).

Easy.

Mr Good Cat
12th Aug 2015, 13:49
It's 28,800 dhs for the allowance.

A full 20ft container with full insurance and door-to-door repatriation will cost about 24,000 all-in. The major companies will bill Emirates directly (Allied,Freightworks etc).

Easy.

PS that's for a Captain. Not sure about FOs.

I know this as I've just done it!

Emma Royds
12th Aug 2015, 14:12
The allowance for moving can be found in the Staff Travel Manual Section B3 Page 7. Your entitlement depends only on your length of service and where you are moving to. The number of stripes on your sleeve is irrelevant.

I recently visited my local Emirates NBD branch to chat about the formalities for leaving the UAE. I have never taken a loan out in the UAE, so I just need to cancel my credit card and empty and close my account, therefore my circumstances could be different. HR have informed me that I don't need to produce a letter of any kind from my bank and it is this that can take up to 45 days to produce, following the cancelation of your credit card. I was told that the closure of my account and my credit card will in itself only take around a week and I can leave it till nearer the time. I was also told that there is no restriction on how much I need to keep in my current account, following the cancelation of my credit card.

Thanks Emma Royds. Much appreciated.

SOPS
12th Aug 2015, 14:54
I know advertising is not allowed. But I used Freightworks and they were excellent..door to door, and removed all packing material on arrival at the house.

harry the cod
12th Aug 2015, 15:34
SOPS

You're not advertising, you're recommending, and that is allowed on these forums. It's useful, it's relevant and it's appreciated :ok:

See, I can be nice to you if I try! ;)

Harry

Jet II
13th Aug 2015, 13:36
Does anyone have experience of resigning whilst in rental accommodation? Does the company require some form of document from your landlord and/or DEWA?

No - they didnt ask anything.

OnceBitten
14th Aug 2015, 07:46
Couple of questions;
1) can you pay a bank loan out from your eosb or does it have to be paid out prior?
2) does anyone have info or recommend a car rental place for cheap longer term rentals?
3) do EK calculate school fees over a full calendar year or are they calculated over the school semester only? I.e do they pro rata the fees covering the school holidays?

I went to ask at the desk but the queue was long and ran out of time so any info is much appreciated

Thanks. :ok:

SOPS
14th Aug 2015, 08:34
Once bitten, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure all bank loans have to be paid out before you get your final cheque.

I have used Super Price rent a car at DSO a lot. They are in the headquarters building. They give very good prices for long term rentals. My wife used to come to Dubai for 6 to 8 weeks at time, and we always hired a car from them for her. I could not find a cheaper price in Dubai. Hope that helps.:ok:

kipper the dog
14th Aug 2015, 09:19
SOPS is right, the bank loan has to be paid off before you get your eosb

mushr00m
22nd Aug 2015, 10:44
Posting to keep on front page....great thread.

Desdihold
22nd Aug 2015, 14:14
Staff Travel during resignation period ?

The standard required notice for resignation for most staff is 30 days, for pilots it is 90 days.
I have I told that during the notice period all staff travel must be paid for in advance at staff travel in HQ.

That's somewhat understandable if you are a 23 years old grade 2 who has just turned in her resignation but for pilots we seem to have to pay for our cat A / C tickets within the 90 day notice period.

Does anyone have experience of this?

SOPS
22nd Aug 2015, 14:27
Yes Desdi, I had to pay over the desk for tickets. Once you resign, ( I believe) you salary deduction is stopped.

If you want to PM, I'm quite happy to call you, I have many people talking to me at the moment.

Emma Royds
22nd Aug 2015, 16:12
When I resigned, I was informed by fleet that I would have to pay for all tickets that were booked on TRIPS. I subsequently discovered that this is wrong!

Salary deduction is still used as the payment process up to 45 days before your departure from EK. After that point you have to pay for your tickets.

As soon as you resign you can no longer book a ticket and get it issued instantaneously, as is often the case. Even before your last 45 days when tickets are still paid for using salary deduction, the ticket request needs to be looked at and approved by someone in staff travel. Therefore you can't book a ticket at the last minute and expect to travel. In fact a window of 3-4 days should be given to allow your ticket to be approved, unless you visit Staff Travel at the ESC and they can approve the request on the spot.

I booked a ticket at the start of my notice period and the status of my ticket showed 'being processed' or similar once I had requested the ticket. I thought that was the point where I needed to go to the ESC with my credit card and pay for my ticket. In the end I didn't need to pay and the ticket request just needed to be approved and it took a matter of seconds.

Also you can use unused ESCs after you leave as well! Worth refreshing yourself on the ESC rules, as you can book up to six sectors per ESC ticket. :ok:

Kapitanleutnant
22nd Aug 2015, 19:49
Just as an FYI…

The thing that has my attention these days are the clearance letters and guarantees. I've been envisioning my last day going to the airport to finally leave and being stopped by Customs saying I still owe some absurd amount on some account from 6 years ago or some such nonsense because it wasn't cleared from whatever institution it originated from.

Here's the skinny: On your portal page under "guarantees". You'll see all the things you have to deal with e.g. get letters or some type of clearance. I have an etisalat clearance that still showed 5000 dirhams after having paid it off and finally confirmed it was finished. Having just taken care of it all, I figured there was a delay in the portal page being updated. Nope. It still says 5000 dirhams which I didn't like seeing there so asked and was told this: As long as you have an "end date" on that event, you have officially been cleared from that guarantee.

That was to me, not clear whatsoever but thought I'd pass it along…. Just look for that end date column to have an end date stated.

Kap

BigGeordie
27th Aug 2015, 08:33
Does anybody have experience of leaving while still owning a mortgaged property (which is rented out) in Dubai? In that case you would have to keep a bank account open here.

Desertweasel
27th Aug 2015, 09:25
We are currently going through this and HSBC say they are fine to keep an account open to receive rent and in our case pay service fees.
We wanted to sell but the current crash in house prices that no-one is talking about means we are likely stuck for at least a couple of years with the house rented.
Not ideal.

ExDubai
27th Aug 2015, 09:49
@Geordie
I believe it depends on witch bank you're dealing with. In my case they forced me to pay back the mortgage before leaving the country. Selling the property was for me not an option that time because of the prize meltdown during that time. I made a deal with my bank at home and sold the it 2014.

SOPS
27th Aug 2015, 09:55
Desertweasel, ( and I am not trying to be funny here) have HSBC said they are happy for you to leave the country while you still have a mortgage with them, or they are just happy to keep an account open to receive your rent?

There is a big difference, and knowing Dubai, I would hate to see you end up in a world of hurt.