PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else in the BA CEP Hold Pool???

VORDME
22nd Sep 2001, 22:09
Hi folks, just trying to find out who else is in the BA CEP hold pool untill further notice?

Anyone have any idea how many there are altogether?

Did BA Cancel the courses due on Oct 1st (Jerez) & Nov (Oxford)?

What are you gonna do in the meantime? Or have you decided to pack it in already?

Would love to hear advice/reactions and any feelings you have.

Good luck to everyone out there, hang in there!

GOD BLESS TO THE VICTIMS & THEIR FAMILIES AND THE MILITARY FORCES

All the best

VORDME

:)

RevStar
22nd Sep 2001, 22:40
VORDME,

Yep - mail me if you want - I was one of those due out on the 12th Sept to WMU. This last week has been spent getting a sense of perspective for the whole thing... as someone else has said on the forums, losing a job/course is nothing compared to the 6,333 lives lost in the WTC (+ those in Wash and Pitts), and our thoughts have to be with those affected in that way. However, it is very, very personal when BA ring with the bad news (for those of us on the 12th Sept course, we've also lost our old jobs, cars, houses etc etc to do this).

Judging from what is being said, no-one can give any definite answers yet (because obviously no-one knows what is going to happen), so much of the talk on this forum is guessing only. We know that we're top of the list for the next year if BA does decide it needs more CEPs - however that is totally dependant on the industry recovering. Therefore it would make sense to get on with life, since there's no point wasting 1 or 2 years waiting for BA (or whoever) to start recruiting. You can always leave your new job if recruitment starts again - if you decide you're happier where you are, then fine. Either way, you win. Getting a temp job at a cafe, and scanning the web every day for news on recruitment, would not move you on in your life.

Sorry for the rambling - just my 2p... incidentally, some of us are thinking of meeting up soon... email me and we could have a BA CEP hold pool bash (catchy title, n'est pas?!).

RS.

RMS
23rd Sep 2001, 16:30
I'm the last to be put in the hold, just found out a few days back.
I agree, just get on with progressing your current career if that suits you best and we'll hopefully get on a course in the not too distant future.

My contract runs out in the new year and (dependant on if there is any news then) I plan to go travelling while we wait. I'll keep my mobile in my backpack and take the first flight back home if and when they call! ??

We should really get some sort of email list together with everyone in the hold pool. If everyone emails me I don't mind putting it together :)

[email protected]

RMS

Capt Rommel
23rd Sep 2001, 18:22
[ 13 October 2001: Message edited by: Capt Rommel ]

sloany
23rd Sep 2001, 19:12
Good idea lads...I am in the holding pool as we, I was due to start in Novemebr and it was a bitter blow to find it has been put on hold, now until the start of the next financial year.

I am in the fortunate position to still have a job, even if it is in the wrong industry but I am going to use that to save some cash for the beers during the course :D

RMS - My e-mail address is [email protected] and I will e-mail you.

I do recon a get together is a good plan, count me in, London is good for me.

Take it easy chaps and hopefully we will have some good news soon

Sloany :cool:

VORDME
23rd Sep 2001, 20:07
Well good to hear from a few others in the same boat (keep paddling!)

My email is [email protected]

Feel free to add me to the list!

I have to conclude that I am one of the last in the hold pool also, as I hadn't been assigned a training course, pending the results of my class 1.

Hope to be flying alongside some of you in the not too distant future.

All the best folks & Keep in touch

VORDME

:p

maxy101
24th Sep 2001, 18:58
For what it's worth I think any body in the BA hold pool is going to be there a long time. Latest strong rumour in BA is another 10 747-400's to be stood down on top of what has been announced. That is roughly 80 crews.I doubt they will lose their jobs , however it means there is a lot of "slack" in the pilot numbers compared with several months ago. I would count on being set back at least 24 months. However, once you're IN you're basically sorted!!Rest assured BA are aware of the problem you all face, however they have their hands full with other things at the moment.

[ 24 September 2001: Message edited by: maxy101 ]

no sponsor
25th Sep 2001, 13:01
Actually, I don't think you are sorted. It would be daft of you to think that your BA career is set for whenever they re-start the CEP scheme. If the wait is beyond 10 months or so, I would imagine they would ask you back for a chat, bofore sending you to flight school and assess:

- have you actively continued to plan for your career in aviation,
- what have you done in the intervening period,

I would urge those individuals to at least do some sort of flying, either PPL, Gliding, or be invloved in a flying club etc.

BA will be in the unique position of being able to assess just how dedicated you really are.

maxy101
25th Sep 2001, 13:43
Perhaps I should have made myself a bit clearer. Once you are in BA you are basically sorted, i.e you have a signed BA contract in your hand. BA and its pilots have more job security (relatively) than just about any other airline that us Brits can fly for.All I can say to all CEP's on hold is keep trying,keep ringing, and don't allow yourself to be fobbed off. Good Luck!!

topunicyclist
25th Sep 2001, 14:44
anyone got any news whatsoever from ba re: timescales?

brock
25th Sep 2001, 22:21
speedbird 2946, is it true there are lots of Algerians at oxford? is is safe?